Should we give money to beggars?

Regras do fórum

Practice English here, messages in Portuguese are not allowed.
Avatar do usuário Daniel.S 575 1 2 5
@Bill:

and - that was a typo.."an" and not "and"

spiel - never heard that one before, thank you for sharring. Anyway, using the word speech in that sentence wouldn't be wrong, right?

suffered - that's right Bill I'd rather say suffering..

As for underemployed, I meant inadequately employed, especially employed at a low-paying job that requires less skill or training than one possesses, so that's underemployed, like I said.

I feel that the year 2002 sounds a bit too formal.

have a nice day Bill,

Daniel
MENSAGEM PATROCINADA Faça um teste de inglês e descubra seu nível em 15 minutos! Este teste foi desenvolvido por professores e linguistas certificados. O resultado sai na hora e com gabarito.

Clique aqui para iniciar o Teste Online!
Daniel,

Using the word speech, while absolutely correct, does not imply that the speech is a confidence game where spiel, implys that the speech is a trick or not honest, i.e. a confidence game or con for short. Or in everyday life, a spiel is anything a politician says. :lol:

See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confidence_trick for a laundry list of synonyms.

My appologies for not recognizing the posibility of the alternate meaning of your sentence, and yes underemployed, as you used it is "Picture Perfect". Sometimes I feel that I am learning more about English than I am helping others learn.

"Picture Perfect" - An Idiom
Avatar do usuário Marcio_Farias 12350 1 22 206
w.slayman escreveu:[...] I deliberately deleted "the year", as I feel it is redundant, since 2002 very strongly implies a year.

Yes, Bill, it sounds redundant indeed.
I think that we shouldn't give money to beggars. Although most of them have lived like that since always and don't know another way of life, there's no excuse for such behavior. It is a social problem extremely complicated and difficult to solve.
Avatar do usuário Marcio_Farias 12350 1 22 206
Maria Helena, what do you propose to solve this oddly complicated social problem: dispatch all the beggars/panhandlers to a concentration camp in order to free the streets or get your city authorities to really work hard in order to provide beggar/panhandler boarding thus outright solving the problem?

Do you have another guess coming?
I don't know if I agree with giving money to beggars, because when we give them money, a lot of people says we are encouraging them to keep in the streets, but imagine that some children are going to school, trying to have an education and have a better life, but they don't have home nor money to survive, how are they going to live? And if this 'beggar' comes to us and ask us for money, should we deny? I don't know...
I prefer (as Flavia does) to give them anything but money. Some of them could use the money that I gave to buy alcohol drinks or even drugs, so I guess that it's better to give them food and clothes.
No, because this encourage them to stay in the streets and not get a job!