Significado da frase Who's zoomin' Who? (Frase de Grey's Anatomy)

Eu sei que a tradução da frase seria quem está interessado em quem
Mas até onde eu sei pra dizer interessado em inglês é interested
Por que eles colocaram o verbo to zoom, já que o verbo to zoom seria mais ou menos afastar e aproximar uma câmera?
Eu queria entender como eu uso o verbo to zoom nesse sentido de estar interessado a partir desse contexto da série.
Alguém pode me ajudar?
Ps: É o título da T1 Ep9
TIA

TESTE DE NÍVEL
Faça um teste de inglês e descubra seu nível em 10 minutos! Este teste foi desenvolvido por professores experientes. O resultado sai na hora e com gabarito. INICIAR TESTE
9 respostas
Ordenar por: Data
  Resposta mais votada
6 49 1.3k
In fact it was an almost privy slang of them, turned known and widespread at the time by the song Aretha´s song. Perhaps the writer of the Grey´s anatomy plot was fan of the song, lived at the time, someone from his family that was a fan, possibilities...
Zooming today is to ask someone to chat/talk on the Zoom App. So, that sense of the word zoom would be something of a 'retro', it can be used but it´s getting out of use. Like our 'jóia (muito bom, apropriado, etc)/bacana (coisa irada, animal.)/sacou/lero-lero/supimpa/pão (cara bonito, atrativo)/brotinho (mulher bonita, novinha, etc)'.

Language is dynamic, the line moves fast! The show must go on...
MELHORE SUA PRONÚNCIA EM INGLÊS
Nesta aula, o professor Adir Ferreira, autor do livro "A Chave do Aprendizado da Língua Inglesa", nos conta como se tornou um Expert em pronúncia e dá várias dicas para você se comunicar melhor em inglês. ACESSAR AULA
4 35 575
'Zoom someone out' é uma expressão, cujo significado é ' IMPRESSIONAR ALGUEM.

Penso que é disto que se trata. Uma tradução coerente de (Who's zoomin' who?), seria: (Quem está tentando impressionar quem?)
6 49 1.3k
This one is really a bit puzzling. My guess/hunch is that it would be something like "quem está examinando quem" (fazendo check up de quem).

What makes me think of this possibility is that a disease (syphilis) is 'rampant in the hospital staff', they all have to take tests then.

Ref. imdb

If so, it would be a 'corruption' (corruptela) of the expression "zoom in on":
1. Obtain a close up view of the subject with a camera, as in The TV people zoomed in on the Olympic gold medalist. [Mid-1900s]
2. Focus on, examine closely, as in The moderator got the panelists to zoom in on the health-care issue. [Second half of 1900s] [from The Free Dictionary].

But is just an 'educated guess' of mine, I could be wrong. So, deem my comment a kick-off of sorts.
Pra mim não faz muito sentido, já que no wikipédia eu vi que a tradução dessa frase que eu havia colocado é: "Quem está interessado em quem?", a mesma tradução aparece na netflix.
E eu não achei nada sobre o verbo "Zoom" significar interessado em inglês
O único significado que eu achei era aquele que eu ja havia mencionado.
Eu queria saber se isso pode se tratar de uma adaptação que eles fizeram para o português
Eu também queria saber se é normal o verbo "to zoom" vir no present continuous assim.
Essa frase "Who's zoomin' Who" faz sentido no inglês?
Ou se trata de uma expressão?
Agradeço quem puder me ajudar
TIA
6 49 1.3k
My guess is that "zoom in on" to 'zooming' in on, and then "zooming" for short. A guess of mine.

Don´t rely too much on Google for translations, it doesn´t always catch up with the slangs and subtle changes in language, plus the shades of grey. It is a good but not perfect tool.
We have to take some of those translations as general directions to a general place, but similar to a GPS, we have to recalculate them.
CENTENAS DE EXPRESSÕES DO INGLÊS
Preparamos um plano de estudos para ajudar você a dominar centenas de palavras e expressões do inglês em tempo recorde. EXPERIMENTE AGORA
Eu não entendi de qualquer maneira, já que não é só o google que dá essa tradução, O episódio original de Grey's Anatomy na Netflix também está: Quem está interessado em quem?
Eu não achei nada falando sobre isso no google, a única coisa que eu achei foi sobre uma música do século passado que tem o mesmo nome do episódio de Grey's Anatomy, mas quando eu vou pesquisar "Who's zooming Who Grey's anatomy" no google, só da o nome do episódio de Grey's anatomy e mais nada
Desculpa pelo incômodo
Mas agradeço quem puder me ajudar a desvendar essa expressão
TIA
6 49 1.3k
On second thought, the expression "zoom someone out" combined with that translation from Google combined makes a whale of sense.
I got back to the Grey´s Anatomy thing along with a song story from how the music "who´s zooming who", in an analogy it would be "the chase", when one is interested into a relationship or something.
Somehow it would be the equivalent to "who´s getting who." in a club or party.
In 'steady' relatioships (like the ones in Grey´s anatomy", perhaps) it could be "who is the one is making things difficult (or playing hard to get/who is playing the mouse and who is playing the cat ", chances are. A case of anxious attachment, even if the parties don´t know that.

Ref. hgexperts
Ref. medium

Words of Aretha Franklin herself after having been asked "so, what do you do at night to have fun?":

She said, 'Oh, I go out to night clubs. Maybe I see someone in the corner who looks kind of cool. He looks at me, I look at him, and it's like who's zooming who. But as soon as he thinks he's got me, the fish jumps off the hook.' Then she started laughing.

Definitely, it´s about the "play", the games, and the reversal of roles when one thinks he is the smart one. The moves and countermoves. The concept is similar to the one of "gambit of the Queen" only that the "hidden catch" is the game itself..
3 15 131
Minha sugestão:

Who's zooming who? Quem está de olho em quem?

Até mais!
16 60 498
Que está dando um zoom em quem? Lol
Confesso que em mais de 25 anos em contato com a língua inglesa nunca tinha visto o emprego nesse contexto, mas creio que na informalidade se encaixa bem.
See you around.