Significado de "Cost-sensitive"

Hey guys, what's up?

What "Cost-sensitive" means? Is it like cost-benefit or no?

I've seen on this sentence. "the laser wavelenght and temperature menagements at the cost-sensitive client side are not needed;"

CENTENAS DE EXPRESSÕES DO INGLÊS
Preparamos um plano de estudos para ajudar você a dominar centenas de palavras e expressões do inglês em tempo recorde. EXPERIMENTE AGORA
3 respostas
Ordenar por: Data
  Resposta mais votada
6 26 454
Dear Mr. TENREIRO,

It is very important to present both sentences in English and in your native language in order to help us to identify your mistakes and what you need to review.

Please present the references, if necessary, so anyone will have the opportunity to check the answers and the source later.

Pay attention to your mispellings: wavelength and management.

_

Follow the answer:

cost-sensitive
>> sensível ao custo.

Meaning: Statistical concept whose study aims to show the extent to which a result is affected by changes in the associated cost(s).

Significado: Conceito estatístico cujo estudo tem por objetivo mostrar até que ponto um resultado é afetado por mudanças no(s) custo(s) envolvido(s).

Ex. 1: Cost-sensitive learning is a type of learning in data mining that takes the misclassification costs.
>> Aprendizagem sensível ao custo é um tipo de aprendizagem em dirimir informação que aborda os custos de classificação(-ões) incorreta(s).

Ex. 2: The laser wavelength and temperature management at the cost-sensitive client side are not needed.
>> O comprimento da onda do laser e o gerenciamento de temperatura à perspectiva do cliente sensível ao custo não são necessários.

Enjoy your studies! :)
AMPLIANDO O VOCABULÁRIO
Isa Mara Lando é uma referência entre os profissionais de tradução. Ela já traduziu mais de 100 livros, entre eles estão obras de autores aclamados, como: George Orwell, Salman Rushdie e Walter Isaacson (a biografia de Einstein). Nesta aula gratuita, Isa dá várias dicas de vocabulário. ACESSAR AULA
6 49 1.3k
Well done Ricardo! Good job.
I found one paper on the Optical Society with that passage. The authors are
Liang-Yu-Wei, Chin-Wei Hsu, Chi-Wai Chow, and Chien-Hung Yeh From different Chinese institutions and working as a group.
Ref. osapublishing

Actually the guys, into Engineering/optics might have pressed for time plus English not being their mother-tongue.
There are ongoing discussions abroad on how foreign students struggle to learn English on top of everything else (including their studies).
A student of Optics would easily understand what they meant, I had to read a little bit to be able to express that to other student.

In fact it can tought as:
Não sendo nescessário necessário o gerenciamento do comprimento de onda e da temperatura pelo cliente sensível à soluções de baixo custo. (ou - pelo cliente mais sensível à soluções de baixo custo).

Ou seja quando o custo é um do fatores preponderantes em relação à escolha do cliente, sendo um dos mais importantes.

No estudo dos cientistas, na verdade eles estariam inventando uma técnica visando o cliente mais "apertado financeiramente" Ou seja, uma solução de baixo custo uma vez que os diodos-laser dispensam 'resfriamento' (talvez essa a palavra em engenharia, mas é nesse sentido).
Entendi que, como o sinal é 'reaproveitado' remodulado e o sistema é bidirecional então não precisa de outro aparelho para gerar o sinal elétrico (ele é 'convertido' da luz em informação). Como se a luz fosse uma 'portadora" para o sinal.

It's just a comment, the answer had been given and is satisfactory. I just added something by way of additional information to the asker.
6 49 1.3k
The site Linguee has this example sentence:
It is intended for cost sensitive applications where excellent performance and long-term stability are required.
É ideal para aplicações de baixo-custo onde excelente desempenho e estabilidade de longo-prazo são requeridas.

Hence my above reasoning, but I am aware that "cost-sensitive" can be translated as "sensível ao custo" most of the time, and "baixo custo" may not be interchangeable. So, in such cases the context is really needed and useful. That´s why I got to read the paper.

There are good definitions about price-sensitive/price-sensitivity, they explain that a consumer focus on price, a very strong factor.
But, to a degree. A cheaper product (inexpensive) might be seen as a cheap product (low-quality stuff), anyway that´s not to say that the client isn´t focused into a low-price strategy.
A smartphone sold by, say R$ 1400 could be a bargain to a given segment of the population, but then expensive to other.

A low-price strategy would be to estmate how many consumers would buy that cellphone, but then 'not leave other segment behind', so the market would launch another brand with some fancy name 'Premium', 'Plus', XT (extra), or some catchy designation. To fit all pockets.