Significado de "reassure"

Hello guys! What doean mean 'reassure' in this context: (from Little Prince's book.)

Flowers are weak. They're naive. They reassure themselves whatever way they can.

TESTE DE VOCABULÁRIO
Faça um teste e descubra como está seus conhecimentos de vocabulário de inglês em 5 minutos! Este teste foi desenvolvido por professores experientes. O resultado sai na hora e com gabarito. INICIAR TESTE
3 respostas
Ordenar por: Data
  Resposta mais votada
6 26 454
LUIGIDARCO,

You should check Hebe Ester Lucas' revision about the Brazilian translation of Le Petit Prince here.

If you find some terms or collocations difficult you can count on us.

Enjoy your studies.

See below.

Flowers are weak. They're naive. They reassure themselves whatever way they can.
>> (1) As flores são fracas. São tolas. Elas se tranquilizam da maneira que conseguem.
>> (1) As flores são fracas. São ingênuas. Defendem-se como podem.
TESTE DE VOCABULÁRIO
Faça um teste e descubra como está seus conhecimentos de vocabulário de inglês em 5 minutos! Este teste foi desenvolvido por professores experientes. O resultado sai na hora e com gabarito. INICIAR TESTE
Hey!
First, if you allow me, let me tell you this, the question would be better this way
"What does 'reassure' mean in this context".
As for the translation, I guess there're some ways to do it, which includes "elas se viram como podem".
Cheers.
6 49 1.3k
Flowers are weak creatures. They are naive. They reassure themselves as best they can. They believe that their thorns are terrible weapons...

I think it´s "reassure themselves" in the sense of "they are weak" and they "believe in their own strenght" when they use their torns.

In practice "defend themselves" would work there (it´s something of a:
"confiam em seus espinhos para se defender, é a arma que tem" mas tendo um componente psicológico ali. Fica implícito na frase que mesmo elas confiando nas armas/espinhos delas, elas sao fracas, ele diz isso.
Também pode dar a entender que quem se defende com espinhos é fraco mesmo com arma tão poderosa e eficaz, O Pequeno Príncipe é um livro simples e ao mesmo tempo encerra verdades e mensagens complexas, daí o seu sucesso.

And so the Sovereigns argued and tried to reassure themselves. They boasted a bit, and made themselves in their own strength, the strength of their fists, not of justice and right, which they could not and would not believe would desert men as they had known them for generations.
But underneath the bold and hopeful words they spoke lay deep anxiety and even fear, wide wake,...

Source: The Sovereigns: A Jewish Family in the German Countryside.

I think it´s a similar narrative, a pattern of thought the author of the second book and that of the Little Prince.

Not that the flowers or the Sovereigns notice their pattern, it´s not about them, it´s what the author of the narrative thinks of their defense strategy (as a behavioral trait).