Submit FOR treatment x Submit TO treatment: Qual a diferença

Flavia.lm 1 10 100
Of course I'm not doubting what Bill said, but I'd like to understand better the use of "for" instead of "to" in the context below.
I think "... submitted for psychiatric treatment." would be a better choice of prepositions. The preposition "to" would be correct in the sense of "submitting to a psychiatric facility for treatment."
what-is-your-biggest-pet-peeve-t8716-10.html#p58681

Thank you in advance.

CENTENAS DE EXPRESSÕES DO INGLÊS
Preparamos um plano de estudos para ajudar você a dominar centenas de palavras e expressões do inglês em tempo recorde. EXPERIMENTE AGORA
2 respostas
Ordenar por: Data
Donay Mendonça 23 127 1.7k
Flávia,

Na minha opinião, Bill quis dizer que "submit for" é usado para algo que será feito, ao passo que "submit to", para o lugar onde algo será feito.

Bos sorte!
Henry Cunha 3 18 190
These are not easy choices even for natives. Here are some options:

a. one submits oneself to treatment;
b. one submits a pet to treatment for a medical condition;
c. one submits a report to the boss for his analysis.

a1. one submits oneself for treatment;
b1. one submits a pet for treatment for a medical condition;
c1. one submits a report for the boss for hia analysis.

These uses of 'submit' are similar to the use of 'subject' as a verb: While it sounds ok to say that "you subject yourself to treatment," to me it sounds odd to say "you subject yourself for treatment."

So I prefer 'a' over 'a1'. The submission (yielding of control over oneself) is limited to treatment. A1 sounds to me to inexactly suggest a submission of a larger scope.

It could be argued that a preposition change leads to subtle changes in the meanings of the other sentences as well.

You be the judge! Regards