Task x Assignments - Qual a diferença?

Embora eu tenha lido as definições de ambas as palavras nos dicionários ainda não consigo captar a diferença, pois ambas as palavras possuem tradução comum para o português. Para mim, em todas as sentenças que vi, as palavras são cambiáveis. Some help, please?

TESTE DE VOCABULÁRIO
Faça um teste e descubra como está seus conhecimentos de vocabulário de inglês em 5 minutos! Este teste foi desenvolvido por professores experientes. O resultado sai na hora e com gabarito. INICIAR TESTE
2 respostas
Ordenar por: Data
  Resposta mais votada
6 49 1.3k
Agreed.

Cambridge definitions.

=> task /tɑsk/ /tæsk/ noun WORK
Seria a tarefa escolar, ou um trabalho a ser feito, contudo algumas vezes o sentido pode ser o mesmo.
Uma das distinções seria o fato de que um "assignment" implica geralmente em ser "incumbido" por alguém a fazê-lo(a), tomando um certo sentido de formalidade. Isto é, a palavra soa mais formal.

1. [ C ] a piece of work to be done, especially one done regularly, unwillingly or with difficulty
We usually ask interviewees to perform a few simple tasks on the computer just to test their aptitude.
The government now faces the daunting task of restructuring the entire health service.

=====
=> Assignment
"Uma tarefa designada"/atribuida
/designação/obrigação. [muitas das vezes refere-se a atividades atribuídas (no geral), seria mais uma tarefa de maior prazo.

1. [ C ] a piece of work given to someone, typically as part of their studies or job
a freelance/photo assignment
I have a lot of reading assignments to complete before the end of term.

2. [ C ] a job that someone is sent somewhere to do

4. [ U ] the process of giving a particular job or piece of work to someone, or of sending people to chosen places to do jobs
assignment of the various tasks
POWER QUESTIONS
O professor das celebridades Daniel Bonatti ensina várias técnicas para você ter conversas melhores mesmo com conhecimentos básicos de inglês. Com as power questions você vai aprender a direcionar a conversa para onde quiser e com isso alcançar seus objetivos na comunicação. ACESSAR AULA
1 2 23
This is a good question, and not easily answered. I will do my best to help you based on my opinion of the difference.

A task is something that needs to be done, and in many cases is part of an overall assignment. For example, let's say that you have a job and your employer (boss) gives you an assignment. Your assignment is to clean and organize the warehouse. Within this assignment are many tasks. These tasks may include sweeping the warehouse floor, washing any windows that are in the warehouse, throwing away unused boxes, removing any trash, buying new shelves to help you organize the inventory and so on.

Maybe if we look at this in outline form, you will be able to understand what I am trying to say...

Assignment - Clean and Organize the Warehouse

• Task #1 Sweep the floors
• Task #2 Wash the windows
• Task #3 Remove the trash
• Task #4 Buy new shelves

Again, this is just my opinion. There are other differences also, but this is the way I view the difference. I hope I've helped at least a little.