Thanksgiving Day: Foods

Henry Cunha 3 18 190
On Monday, October 12, the second Monday of October, Canadians celebrate Thanksgiving Day. In an old tradition, it's a day set aside to give thanks for the year's harvest, so it's celebrated at the end of the Fall and as Winter is setting in. Americans, a little bit to the south of us, wait a little longer, and celebrate it on the fourth Thursday of November. The traditional family-and-friends meal celebration, in both countries, comes from indigenous foods: the turkey, potatoes, pumpkin, squash, cranberry sauce, corn -- all foods presented to Europeans by the First Nations of the Americas. New Canadian and Americans from non-European backgrounds often prepare other foods. It's a great holiday and a chance to get together with family and friends.

Cf. Qual é a relação do Black Friday com o Thanksgiving?

Here are some of the foods and staples the original Americans shared with the world:

The turkey
Beans (all kinds!)
Potatoes
Tomatoes
Chili / sweet peppers
Peanuts
Manioc (cassava)
Chocolate (cacao)
Vanilla
Sweet potatoes
Corn
Papaya
Guava
Passion fruit
Pinapples
Pecans
Cashews
Sunflower seeds
Avocados
Rasperries
Cranberries
Blueberries
Strawberries
And
Quinoa (I'd never heard of this one, but it's important)

Since Brazilian Thanksgiving Day falls on the same day as the American, you still have time to think of some recipes with genuine foods from the Americas. I will be having roasted turkey, mashed potatoes with gravy, corn, cranberry sauce, squash, and pumpkin pie with vanilla ice cream for dessert. Red wine, of course. And an expresso at the end.

All the best

TESTE DE NÍVEL
Faça um teste de inglês e descubra seu nível em 10 minutos! Este teste foi desenvolvido por professores experientes. O resultado sai na hora e com gabarito. INICIAR TESTE
4 respostas
Ordenar por: Data
Flavia.lm 1 10 100
Hi Henry

I don't think Thanksgiving is celebrated here in Brazil at all.

Is it true that Thanksgiving is considered more important than Christmas for many North Americans?
Henry Cunha 3 18 190
And I don't see why not. You have so many things to be thankful for. The real is going up in value all the time, you have Lula, the World Cup, the Olympics, no real winter to speak of, don't have to buy oil from anybody, samba, and caipirinha. Dutra passed the law, you know, "Dia de Ação de Graças," I think in 1947? Maybe you already have too many holidays to celebrate... (rsrs)

No. Thanksgiving you only get a meal, and have to wash the dishes. Xmas we get the meal plus lots of presents nobody needs. Seriously, Christmas is the big holiday, even if too commercial.

Enjoy your Summer, folks!
Flavia.lm 1 10 100
Thanks for the answer and have a blessed Thanksgiving!
maryziller 1 2
Henry Cunha escreveu:On Monday, October 12, the second Monday of October, Canadians celebrate Thanksgiving Day. In an old tradition, it's a day set aside to give thanks for the year's harvest, so it's celebrated at the end of the Fall and as Winter is setting in. Americans, a little bit to the south of us, wait a little longer, and celebrate it on the fourth Thursday of November. The traditional family-and-friends meal celebration, in both countries, comes from indigenous foods: the turkey, potatoes, pumpkin, squash, cranberry sauce, corn -- all foods presented to Europeans by the First Nations of the Americas. New Canadian and Americans from non-European backgrounds often prepare other foods. It's a great holiday and a chance to get together with family and friends.
In the United States October 12th is Columbus Day, the celebration of Christopher Columbus discovering America. In New York Italian-Americans celebrate their Italian pride with a parade and ethnic foods. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Columbus_Day gives a short history.

Happy thanksgiving Day, Henry!