the child who would like to be a TV

Avatar do usuário felipeh6 2150 7 52
A teacher asked her students to write a text whose question was: what can God make for you?
At night, correcting those texts, she found one that made her feel deeply touched!

Imagem

Her husband was just coming back home and saw that she was crying. He asked her what was going on. She asked him to read one text of a little boy. He read it:

“Lord, tonight I ask you something special: turn me into a TV. I want to take its place and live as the TV from my home lives. I want to have a special place and gather my family around. I want to be taken seriously when I speak, be the center of the attentions and also be listened to without interruptions or questions.

Imagem

I want to receive the same special attention that our TV receives when it doesn't work. And I want to have my father's company when he arrives home, even if he is tired.
And I want that my mother looks for me when she is alone and displeased, instead of ignoring me. And also that my siblings “fight” to be with me.

Imagem

I want to feel that my family stops doing everything, once in a while, to have some moments with me. And, finally, that I can amuse all. Lord, I don't ask you too much. I only want to live like any television lives.”

- My God! Poor fellow! What a horrible family he has, said the moved husband.

Then, she looked at him and said with a restrained voice:

- That text belongs to OUR son!
Avatar do usuário Adriano Japan 760 1 17
nice text ;)
the "tv" can be replaced by "internet" in these days..
MENSAGEM PATROCINADA Para aprender mais sobre os Tempos Verbais baixe agora o: Guia Grátis de Tempos Verbais em Inglês. Ele contém um resumo bem estruturado para revisar os conceitos que você aprendeu na escola.

Clique aqui e saiba como baixar!
Avatar do usuário Flavia.lm 3845 1 9 85
Sad, indeed. That happens to some adults as well.

Mas vamos à gramática:

"A teacher asked her students to write a text whose question was:"
"whose" não cabe aqui, a meu ver. Eu reescreveria assim: A teacher asked her students to write a text which topic was:
Flávia, now I wonder what to use when it doesn't refer to person!

No English Grammar in Use (https://www.englishexperts.com.br/1 ... e-e-where/) diz que é usado mais com pessoas, mas... e com objetos, como em "texto"? Seria correto usar o "which" no sentido de "cujo"?
Leandro,
Sim, "which" para "cujo".
Flavia,

Pode ser uma questão de interpretação, mas a pergunta é dela e não é do texto, ou seja, a pergunta("question") é da professora, então não seria "whose"?

Thanks for your attention!

Felipe
Avatar do usuário Marcio_Farias 12280 1 21 206
Flavia, you offered, "A teacher asked her students to write a text which topic was:"

Let me attempt to rewrite it.

"A teacher asked her students to write a test for which the topic was:"

Do other forum members have a rewrite for that?

Ahh... no, come to think of it... you can use "whose" all the same. dictionary.com says "whose" possible, in that you can use it as "(the possessive case of which used as an adjective): a word whose meaning escapes me; an animal whose fur changes color."
Oi Felipe

"A teacher asked her students to write a text whose question was"

Pra mim existem dois erros na frase, um deles é o "whose" e o outro é o "question". Por isso sugeri "A teacher asked her students to write a text which topic was:"

E quanto a pergunta ser da professora, então sugiro:

"A teacher asked her students to answer the following question:"
"A teacher asked her students to write a text answering the following question:"
Márcio

"text" instead of "test"

And, I still thing "whose" doesn't "fit" there. It's clear we're referring to the text, then we should use "cujo", not "de quem".
MENSAGEM PATROCINADA Leia o e-book Aprendendo Idiomas por Conta Própria e conheça as técnicas utilizadas pelos Experts para aprender idiomas. Com ele você vai aprender a aprender inglês!

Baixar uma Amostra Grátis!
Flavia and Marcio,

Thanks for the replies and suggestions.

I've tried to find that text("A criança que queria ser televisão") in English, but I couldn't. So, I've tried to translate it. In this way, of course, I would have some mistakes ;)

Best Regards,

Felipe