the child who would like to be a TV

felipeh6 7 58
A teacher asked her students to write a text whose question was: what can God make for you?
At night, correcting those texts, she found one that made her feel deeply touched!

Imagem

Her husband was just coming back home and saw that she was crying. He asked her what was going on. She asked him to read one text of a little boy. He read it:

“Lord, tonight I ask you something special: turn me into a TV. I want to take its place and live as the TV from my home lives. I want to have a special place and gather my family around. I want to be taken seriously when I speak, be the center of the attentions and also be listened to without interruptions or questions.

Imagem

I want to receive the same special attention that our TV receives when it doesn't work. And I want to have my father's company when he arrives home, even if he is tired.
And I want that my mother looks for me when she is alone and displeased, instead of ignoring me. And also that my siblings “fight” to be with me.

Imagem

I want to feel that my family stops doing everything, once in a while, to have some moments with me. And, finally, that I can amuse all. Lord, I don't ask you too much. I only want to live like any television lives.”

- My God! Poor fellow! What a horrible family he has, said the moved husband.

Then, she looked at him and said with a restrained voice:

- That text belongs to OUR son!

INGLÊS PARA VIAGENS
A professora Marcela Miranda, mais conhecida como a Tia do Inglês, ensina nesta aula introdutória o vocabulário básico de inglês para viagens. Está se preparando para sua próxima viagem? A sua jornada começa aqui! ACESSAR AULA
14 respostas
Ordenar por: Data
Adriano Japan 1 2 21
nice text ;)
the "tv" can be replaced by "internet" in these days..
Flavia.lm 1 10 100
Sad, indeed. That happens to some adults as well.

Mas vamos à gramática:

"A teacher asked her students to write a text whose question was:"
"whose" não cabe aqui, a meu ver. Eu reescreveria assim: A teacher asked her students to write a text which topic was:
Flávia, now I wonder what to use when it doesn't refer to person!

No English Grammar in Use (https://www.englishexperts.com.br/o-bas ... e-e-where/) diz que é usado mais com pessoas, mas... e com objetos, como em "texto"? Seria correto usar o "which" no sentido de "cujo"?
Flavia.lm 1 10 100
Leandro,
Sim, "which" para "cujo".
felipeh6 7 58
Flavia,

Pode ser uma questão de interpretação, mas a pergunta é dela e não é do texto, ou seja, a pergunta("question") é da professora, então não seria "whose"?

Thanks for your attention!

Felipe
AMPLIANDO O VOCABULÁRIO
Isa Mara Lando é uma referência entre os profissionais de tradução. Ela já traduziu mais de 100 livros, entre eles estão obras de autores aclamados, como: George Orwell, Salman Rushdie e Walter Isaacson (a biografia de Einstein). Nesta aula gratuita, Isa dá várias dicas de vocabulário. ACESSAR AULA
Marcio_Farias 1 24 214
Flavia, you offered, "A teacher asked her students to write a text which topic was:"

Let me attempt to rewrite it.

"A teacher asked her students to write a test for which the topic was:"

Do other forum members have a rewrite for that?

Ahh... no, come to think of it... you can use "whose" all the same. dictionary.com says "whose" possible, in that you can use it as "(the possessive case of which used as an adjective): a word whose meaning escapes me; an animal whose fur changes color."
Flavia.lm 1 10 100
Oi Felipe

"A teacher asked her students to write a text whose question was"

Pra mim existem dois erros na frase, um deles é o "whose" e o outro é o "question". Por isso sugeri "A teacher asked her students to write a text which topic was:"

E quanto a pergunta ser da professora, então sugiro:

"A teacher asked her students to answer the following question:"
"A teacher asked her students to write a text answering the following question:"
Flavia.lm 1 10 100
Márcio

"text" instead of "test"

And, I still thing "whose" doesn't "fit" there. It's clear we're referring to the text, then we should use "cujo", not "de quem".
felipeh6 7 58
Flavia and Marcio,

Thanks for the replies and suggestions.

I've tried to find that text("A criança que queria ser televisão") in English, but I couldn't. So, I've tried to translate it. In this way, of course, I would have some mistakes ;)

Best Regards,

Felipe
Flavia.lm 1 10 100
Felipe,

Pesquisando por pequenos trechos da tradução que vc fez, encontrei este:

A teacher from Primary School asks her students to write a essay about what they would like God to do for them... At the end of the day, while marking the essays,she read one that made her very emotional.
Her husband, who had just walked in, saw her crying and asked her:- 'What happened?'
She answered- 'Read this. It is one of my students' essay.'
'Oh God, tonight I ask you something very special :
Make me into a television. I want to take its place and live like the TV in my house.
Have my own special place, And have my family around ME.
To be taken seriously when I talk....
I want to be the centre of attention and be heard without interruptions or questions.
I want to receive the same special care that theTV receives even when it is not working.
Have the company of my dad when he arrives home from work, even when he is tired.
And I want my mom to want me when she is sad and upset, instead of ignoring me...
And... I want my brothers to fight to be with me...
I want to feel that family just leaves everything aside, every now and then, just to spend some time with me.
And last but not least, ensure that I can make them all happy and entertain them...
Lord I don't ask you for much... I just want to live like a TV.'
At that moment the husband said :- 'My God, poor kid. What horrible parents!'
The wife looked up at him and said:- 'That essay is our son's !!!

http://manishmadhukar.blogspot.com/

Não comparei as duas traduções, mas eu diria que vc fez um excelente trabalho.
AMPLIANDO O VOCABULÁRIO
Isa Mara Lando é uma referência entre os profissionais de tradução. Ela já traduziu mais de 100 livros, entre eles estão obras de autores aclamados, como: George Orwell, Salman Rushdie e Walter Isaacson (a biografia de Einstein). Nesta aula gratuita, Isa dá várias dicas de vocabulário. ACESSAR AULA
Ali pode ser usado "whose" também. Vamos analisar:

Você tem uma pergunta (que no caso é o tema também, mas vamos tratar como pergunta). A pergunta é de alguém, correto? Ou seja, podemos dizer: "A pergunta é de quem?" ("Whose question is it?"), logo, no caso pode ser usado whose também, a meu ver. Afinal, "whose" pode ser traduzido como "cujo" também, dependendo do contexto.

MAS, vale lembrar que nesse caso tem que usar "to which..." e não só "which". Usá-lo sozinho é como apontar uma opção dentre várias, exemplo:
-The text which theme is more complex is this text.

Nesse caso, como explicação e não restrição de opções fica:
-The text, to which the theme is complex, is about...

EDIT
OK, agora que eu me toquei, o segundo exemplo foi péssimo.... Let's change a little:
-She aked me to write a text to which the theme is...
Flavia.lm 1 10 100
Eddy, sim, whose também significa cujo, mas não no contexto que estávamos trabalhando "the text whose"

Não entendi a parte onde vc diz que o "to" é obrigatório.
A text which theme is complex = um texto cujo tema é complexo
felipeh6 7 58
Flavia,

Posso estar enganado, mas acho que essa também não é uma "versão" em Inglês deste texto. Me parece que também foi feita uma tentativa de tradução partindo do Português. Será que existe uma versão deste texto originalmente em Inglês?

Thanks anyway!

Felipe
Flavia.lm 1 10 100
Pode ser mesmo uma versão, Felipe.
Mas não consegui encontrar mais nada, infelizmente.