THE EDGE OF SOUL - Suzi Kim & KHAN

Do you remember this intro?
Transcending history and the world Transcendendo a história e o mundo
A tale of souls and swords Uma lenda de almas e espadas
Eternally retold Repassada eternamente
Nostalgic, isn't it? :)

That's the opening theme of Soul Edge, a game developed by the team Project Soul and published by Namco as the first installment in the 3D Soulcalibur fighting game series. It was originally released as an arcade game in December 1995 and as upgraded and expanded version to PlayStation in December 1996. This version was renamed as Soul Blade in North America, Europe and Australia.

Soul Edge's events centers upon the eponymous sword, which is shrouded in mistery. According to the legend, it can be used as a weapon which gives to the owner unlimited powers. Nine warriors embark on a journey to pursue the tenth one, who is rumored to have the sword. Some of these warriors want to claim it and others are on a mission to destroy it.

The theme song The Edge of Soul was arranged by KHAN, a Japanese rock band on November 21st, 1996. The arrangers were Kazunori Miyake and Himeko Yamamoto. The composer was Benten-Maru. Suzi Kim was the vocalist. After she graduated from Yale University Music Department, Suzi came back to Japan and started her career. At first, she worked as a backing vocalist for Takuro Yoshida, Yusaku Matsuda, Jun Inoue, Yasuko Agawa, etc. She made some musical tours with Masaki Ueda and Yukadan and then she released some CDs and analogs as a solo. From 1996 on, she founded her own band Royal Funk and started to make her performances in Tokyo and Kansai.

The game was followed up with Soulcalibur in July 1998.
THE EDGE OF SOUL [Original version] THE EDGE OF SOUL [Versão traduzida]
To Love! To Shine! Amar! Brilhar!
We all need to shine on to see Nós todos precisamos continuar brilhando para ver
How far we've come on our journey O quão longe chegamos em nossa jornada
How far yet to go searchin' for our star O quão longe ainda vamos continuar em busca de nossa estrela
Deep in the night I pray in my heart Nas profundezas da noite, eu rezo em silêncio
For that special light Por aquela luz especial
To shower me with love Para me cobrir com amor
To shower me with power Para me encher de poder
To shine from above Para iluminar de cima
I gotta get to the Edge of Soul Eu tenho que alcançar o Limite da Alma
To carry on what I believed in Para continuar (com) aquilo que eu acreditava
From the very start Desde o príncipio
I gotta get to the Edge of Soul Eu tenho que chegar ao Limite da Alma
To carry on deep in my heart Para continuar do fundo do meu coração
To love! To shine! Amar! Brilhar!
To love! To shine! Amar! Brilhar!
Come strip down and face it Venha se despir e enfrentar isso
Your all O melhor de si
(It's) 'bout time you broke down your wall Já era hora de você romper sua barreira
Free your mind Liberte a sua mente
A brand new world waits for you Um novo mundo espera por você
You'll find (it) Você (o) encontrará
Nobody can just do it for you Ninguém pode simplesmente fazer isso por você
It's time that you knew Faz tempo que você sabia
It's up to you to love Que cabe a você amar
It's up to you to shine Que cabe a você brilhar
The light, true'n (true and) blue A luz, genuína
You gotta get to the Edge of Soul Você tem que chegar ao Limite da Alma
To carry on what you believed in Para continuar com aquilo que você acreditava
From the very start Desde o princípio
To carry on what you believed in Para continuar com aquilo que você acreditava
From the very start Desde o princípio
To carry on deep in your heart Para continuar do fundo do seu coração
To Love! To Shine! Amar! Brilhar!
REFERENCES:

(1) VGMdb - The Music of Visual Arts and Games. The Edge of Soul. Date of access: 12-22-2020.

(2) AMEBA - Japanese Blogging and Social Media website. The vocalist Suzi Kim. Date of publication: 05-09-2013.

Anúncio Descubra seu nível de inglês em 15 minutos! - Converse grátis por 15 minutos com um professor e verifique como está o seu inglês.

Começar agora!
1 resposta
ERRATA:
Ricardo F. Bernardi escreveu: 22 Dez 2020, 08:41
Your all Tudo de si
(It's) 'bout time you broke down your wall faz um tempo que você rompeu sua barreira
Note: The expression Edge of Soul, stylized in capital letters, can be interpreted as a level of power to be achieved by the protagonists of the game. Another interpretation, precisely related to the contemporary literature, leads us to believe that this expression represents the apex of a being, after a long period of suffering.

We can also associate the meaning of this expression with RPG - since this is a highly regarded standard used by game developers. Some skills are called Edge of Soul, which makes the character give it his all, concentrating all his strength on some attribute for some time before executing a decisive attack.
Ainda precisa de ajuda? Confira algumas opções:
  1. Clique no botão "Responder" (abaixo) e faça sua pergunta sobre este assunto;
  2. Faça uma nova pergunta;
  3. Converse grátis com um professor nativo por 15 minutos: Saiba como!
  • Tópicos Relacionados