The Perfect Peach!

;)

Vocab:

Bruise = "machucado".
Blemish = "mancha".
Fort Mason farmer’s market = mercado de agricultores em San Francisco, California.
Grimace = fazer cara feia.
Scowl = olhar de cara feia.
Pick up = "levantar", "pegar", "escolher".
Pick out = "escolher".
Adage = "adágio".

Imagem

See that ugly bruise / blemish on the peach above?? Yeah, I grimaced too when I picked it up at the Fort Mason farmer’s market. Just as I was putting it back in the heap in search of a prettier peach, the farmer told me I should reconsider and that it was in fact a perfect peach. I must have scowled at him because he laughed and said, “No, seriously! That is a perfect peach!”

Apparently, as he kindly explained, the blemish was actually sugar crystallizing on the skin – a sign that almost always guarantees that a peach will be sweet and perfectly ripe.

I took the farmer’s advice and picked out as many simliar-looking peaches as I could find. And, no joke, they were probably the most delicious peaches I had all summer long! So, as the old adage goes, don’t judge a book by the cover.

Source:
http://www.farmandafryingpan.com/2010/1 ... ect-peach/

Sabe a resposta? Seja um colaborador(a)! Ao responder questões no English Experts você ganha pontos de Reputação. Se você atua na área de idiomas, suas participações na comunidade podem ser uma ótima vitrine para o seu trabalho.

Registre-se agora e faça parte!
Colabore