[History] The turn point of English?

I was browsing the forums, when I tripped on this post by Henry Cunha:
Henry Cunha escreveu:Psalm 23:5

Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over.

And I said to my self "It's so nice to see proper futures, rather than the usual 'will' ones used nowadays.", and all of a sudden a question came back (came back, for I've thought about it before) to my head: when (and, why) did the English language lose lot's of specific stuff, only to seem more alike and simple?

If I were to guess, I'd say it has something to do with England wanting to rule over the world, but this is but a wild guess.

Any other thoughts? Someone with the true History on this one?

Cheers.

TESTE DE NÍVEL
Faça um teste de inglês e descubra seu nível em 10 minutos! Este teste foi desenvolvido por professores experientes. O resultado sai na hora e com gabarito. INICIAR TESTE
1 resposta
Telma Regina 9 65 608
The English language is constantly evolving. The older words are still there but are not used these days. For example, many phrases in Shakespeare plays. “A pox on your throat”, from The Tempest, means you wish the plague on a person and was a phrase used at that time. Today, one would say for the person to drop dead. Nobody would use the old phrase because 'the plague' doesn't exist anymore (it is not a polite phrase but it is just an example). 'Thou' means 'you', and a similar adaption happened with 'tu' e 'vós' meaning 'você(s)' in Portuguese. The language evolved, because is old and had many influences.

Sometimes, some words arise from the influence of people and cultural aspects from other countries, for example, ‘Thursday’ is an evolution of ‘thorsday’, due to the influence of the Vikings in the north of England and Scotland. The same can be said about the Romans and the Normans that occupied parts of Britain. Taking to a modern stage now, it is easier to understand the introduction of other words, for example, discoveries and new inventions. The word 'pasteurization' derives from Pasteur's discovery. Words that are used in cooking and food and information technology are all new introductions to the old English. The. list is endless.

Talking about England wanting to rule over the world, many other countries tried to as well and some needed to pay the british for their protection, but then, that is another part of the History…