There is x There are x There to be: Classificação gramatical

There is x There are x There to be: Classificação gramatical
There is an adverb of place. Correct ?
Is/are (and 'am' plus 'was/were' etc.) are 'forms' of the verb to be. Right ?

What about 'there is' and 'there are' ? What do we call them ?
Is it correct correct to say that they are (or are forms of) the verb 'there to be' ?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

APRESENTAÇÃO PESSOAL EM INGLÊS
Nesta aula, a professora Camila Oliveira ensina como você deve se preparar para fazer uma apresentação pessoal profissional em inglês. O conteúdo dessa aula ajudará você a aproveitar melhor as oportunidades no ambiente corporativo. ACESSAR AULA
12 respostas
Ordenar por: Data
É correto dizer "verbo there to be". "There is" and "there are" são justamente as formas conjugadas desse verbo. Como utilizá-lo você já sabe.

Take care.
Thanks for the replay.

Well, I was searching (before coming back here to look for any replays) in google for 'there to be' and it seems that mostly we (not native speakers) use 'there to be'. Let me explain.
I searched for 'there to be', and I mainly found entries in pt_br, even though the search engine was set to show 'english pages only'. It seems that they do not use the 'definition' "there to be", otherwise I would have found more entries in English language. On the other hand, I fond tons of entries with 'there to be' in Brazilian and Portuguese pages.

Once more. Thanks for the replay. I really appreciate your help.
Henry Cunha 3 18 190
Nestes casos, "there" age como um pronome, em que o sujeito da oração aparece após o verbo "to be".

There is an answer to this problem. = An answer to this problem exists.
There are many ways to solve this problem. = This problem has many solutions.
There was no answer to the question. = The question had no answer.
There were two people standing there. = Two people were standing at that spot.

"There is", etc., são formas fixas de expressar existência. Formas como "there could be", "there should be" pertencem na mesma categoria.
Okay. That is it. I agree. Mind you guys that doubt is not how we use it, but rather, what do we call it.

For instance, for I, you, he, she, it, etc. we say that they are 'personal pronouns. This, that, these, and those are adverbs of place. Now, my doubt: there is and there are called ...................................................

Furthermore, have you guys read what I wrote about 'there to be' seeming to be use only by us, Brazilians. What do you make of it ?

Once again, thanks a lot for the replays. I enjoy them very much.
Donay Mendonça 23 127 1.7k
Fernando,

Como complemento, seguem alguns links sobre o assunto:

there-to-be-some-any-t10332.html

there-is-there-are-x-have-has-t3434.html

Boa sorte!
COMO COMBINAR PALAVRAS EM INGLÊS
Nesta aula, o professor Denilso de Lima, autor do livro "Combinando Palavras em Inglês", ensina como as collocations (combinações de palavras) podem ajudar você a falar inglês com mais naturalidade. ACESSAR AULA
Obrigado isso me ajudou bastante!
Estou com dúvida em relação ao uso do There to be no presente e no passado.Essas frases estão gramaticalmente corretas?

Was there a lamp on the nightstand when you arrived?

There isn't a shaving cream in the medicine cabinet.We have to buy it.

There were four albums in my bag.But I don't where they are now.

Is there anything I can do to help you? Yes I need winter clothes.

There are two broken skis in my car,only one.
Ricardo F. Bernardi 6 26 454
You should take a good look on the green topics:

1. Was there a lamp on the bedside table / night table when you arrived?

2. There isn't any shaving cream in the medicine cabinet. We have to buy it. = We have... (obrigação; necessidade).
There is no shaving cream in the bathroom cabinet. We'll have to buy it. = We will have... (planejamento futuro).

3. There were four albums in my bag but I don't know where they are now.

4. "Is there something I can do to help you?" "Yes! I 'd like some winter clothes".
PPAULO 6 49 1.3k
Thanks for the replying/thanks for your reply. I am afraid "replay" would be playing again a section of some recording, or the recalling something (replaying in one´s mind, for example).

I am not fond of the form "there to be", I would favour the form "there be" (there are/there is - in the basic present form).

With the key words grammar "THERE BE" -let be lots of hits on search engines like Google.
I found one that came up with this "grammar: there has been/there has been" (so the particle "to" would make a whale of a difference here...)
And the following site comes up with "there be exercises"
http://www.ats.edu.mx/ifs/salc/?tag=there-be-exercises

Of course, it´s my writing style (as I said I am not fond of that way, but I am not going to sue anybody that uses the other one.) :-)
PPAULO 6 49 1.3k
By the way, it (the word THERE) works as a pronoun in such cases, there can be used with the verb to be to indicate that something exists or to introduce a noun in a statement or a question.

Source:
http://www.differencebetween.net/langua ... -and-their
COMO COMBINAR PALAVRAS EM INGLÊS
Nesta aula, o professor Denilso de Lima, autor do livro "Combinando Palavras em Inglês", ensina como as collocations (combinações de palavras) podem ajudar você a falar inglês com mais naturalidade. ACESSAR AULA
Daniel Reis 2 16
Talvez seja minha memória ruim, mas não me lembro de "there to be" sendo usado tanto para dizer there is e there are. Se vocês lembrarem de frases usando there to be dessa maneira, por gentileza postem abaixo.

Enfim, o que o PPAULO disse parece ser bem mais comum, "there be".

Quem não conhece a famosa frase "Let there be light"?

There be também pode aparecer quando usamos o subjuntivo.

Ex: He demanded that there be 3 or more singers for that show.

Existe também There being

Exemplo da internet: Food prices are increasing simultaneously in all countries without there being any increase in raw material prices.

E isso aí!
Ricardo F. Bernardi 6 26 454
Queridos amigos,

Sugiro que leiam os seguintes tópicos :)

(1) LET THERE BE X THERE BE.
(2) THERE + ANOTHER VERB
(3) Is the word "THERE" an adverb, a preposition or something else entirely different?
(4) THERE BE

Bons estudos!
Boa revisão!
Boa discussão!

Tudo isso!