Thy e Thine: Existe diferença?

Ravenna 3
Olá, pessoal, gostaria de saber se existe alguma *diferença* no USO de THY e THINE. Sei que é inglês arcaico, mas como eu costumo ler muito, sempre me deparo com esses termos.

Por exemplo na frase a seguir: "Thine heart I'll take" - eu poderia usar o Thy ao invés de Thine sem problemas?

*essa frase faz parte do trecho de uma música que gosto (The Flame of Wrath by The Sins of Thy Beloved) :mrgreen:
"I yearn for thine seduction/with desire I ache/let my passion enswathe thee/thine heart I'll take"*

Espero que a minha dúvida faça sentido!

Thanks!

C-ya!

Ravenna.

POWER QUESTIONS
O professor das celebridades Daniel Bonatti ensina várias técnicas para você ter conversas melhores mesmo com conhecimentos básicos de inglês. Com as power questions você vai aprender a direcionar a conversa para onde quiser e com isso alcançar seus objetivos na comunicação. ACESSAR AULA
8 respostas
Ordenar por: Data
Hey,

Thy and thine correspond with my and mine. The first is attributive (my/thy) and the second predicative (they are mine/thine).

;)
Henry Cunha 3 18 190
Também substitui-se "thine" em lugar de "thy" quando a palavra que segue começa com uma vogal ou com 'h'. Na frase citada, então, a seguinte modificação acompanharia a regra:

"I yearn for thy seduction/with desire I ache/let my passion enswathe thee/thine heart I'll take"

O mesmo se dá com my -> mine no inglẽs arcaico.

Regards
Ravenna 3
Então... pela lógica das explicações acima...

Thy heart - My heart
Thine heart - The heart of mine

^^
In this case thy and thine correspond with "your".
Ravenna 3
Isso, 'your'

Eu só queria especificar um correspondente... se é que faz sentindo :D esse tipo de 'sentido' é um exemplo das associações de palavras,etc que eu faço para não esquecer mais... LOL
CURSO DE PRONÚNCIA
Domine todos os sons do inglês com o nosso novo curso de pronúncia. O professor Adir Ferreira, referência no ensino de pronúncia, criou este curso especialmente para o English Experts. INICIAR AGORA
Thy and thine are words of the old English. It is generally not used anymore though you will still hear them on prayers and some written/spoken documents in the old English. They already have their English counterparts which are as follows: Thy is now your means something that belongs to you. When you say thine, it is a possessive pronoun as well but means something that is mine.
Differently from the a/an rule (= a before consonant sounds/an before vowel sounds) and the my/mine rule (= my before noun/mine after noun [often at the end of sentence]), the determiners thy/thine has a quite different usage:

Thy is used before a consonant noun, while thine is used before a vowel noun.

Examples:
  • thine ego ~ thy ego
  • thine own life ~ thy own life
  • thy beauty ~ thine beauty
  • thy soul ~ thine soul
Also seen in the Lord's Prayer:
  • "Our Father who art in heaven, hallowed be thy name. Thy kingdom come. Thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven. "
  • "For thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, for ever and ever. Amen."
To make sure you are properly using both determiners, try to remember that thyself is the only pronoun of old use that exists - similar to myself - and that thineself or "mineself" does not exist, simply because of the fact that what follows "thine" is a consonant (self) and not a vowel.

But, if you really want to use thine as in "thyself" you might as well use thine own self. Of course, you should remember that the usage of such a vocabulary is no longer current.
Henry Cunha 3 18 190
What follows has only the tiniest possible connection to the topic, but I couldn't pass on it.

I'm just reading Anne Amott's Help Thanks Wow: The Three Essential Prayers, in which she muses about names for God:

"I know some ironic believers who call God Howard, as in 'Our Father, who art in Heaven, Howard be thy name.'

(Ok, gotta go ask Howard a favour.)