Como dizer "brincar de gato e rato" em inglês

1 10 100
Pessoa A: Cara, já te liguei umas cinco vezes hoje! Uma hora você estava em reunião, na outra tinha saído pra almoçar, tá difícil te encontrar, heim?
Pessoa B: Mas eu retornei todas as vezes, e também nunca te encontrava! Parece até que estávamos brincando de gato e rato!

Brincar de gato e rato: ficar “fugindo” um do outro, muito usado na situação citada acima, quando uma pessoa procura outra e não encontra, e vice-versa.

Em inglês = ?

MELHORE SUA PRONÚNCIA EM INGLÊS
Nesta aula, o professor Adir Ferreira, autor do livro "A Chave do Aprendizado da Língua Inglesa", nos conta como se tornou um Expert em pronúncia e dá várias dicas para você se comunicar melhor em inglês. ACESSAR AULA
6 respostas
Ordenar por: Data
  Resposta mais votada
2 23
I do not understand where phone tag came into the discussion, but one meaning of to play cat and mouse is to toy with someone or something before destroying it as the cat will let the mouse rum a little and then with its paw, bat it back and so on until it finally kills it. The expression of course doesn't literally mean "to kill". . It is usually when someone has the upper hand (the advantage) and just plays with the person until he is ready to "lower the boom", to take the advantage he has. For example, someone who is really good at playing chess, may make some easy moves to make the other poorer player think he has a chance at winning and then he makes the winning move. He is playing cat and mouse with the unsuspecting chess partner. It could apply to any situation where someone who knows he will get what he wants in the end, plays cat and mouse for awhile before dominating the situation.
TESTE DE VOCABULÁRIO
Faça um teste e descubra como está seus conhecimentos de vocabulário de inglês em 5 minutos! Este teste foi desenvolvido por professores experientes. O resultado sai na hora e com gabarito. INICIAR TESTE
6 49 1.3k
Playing a cat and mouse game/a game of cat and mouse.

Ref. en.wikiquote

- Sherlock Holmes: Has all my instruction been for naught? [pours] You still read the official statement and believe it. It’s a game, dear man, a shadowy game. We’re playing cat and mouse, the professor and I. Cloak and dagger.

- Dr. John Watson: I thought it was spider and fly. [reads the label of the bottle Holmes has been pouring from]
1 10 100
Achei no The Free Dictionary

play cat and mouse
2. to try to find someone who is hiding from you Border agents played cat and mouse with people trying to enter the country illegally.
Pessoa A: Cara, já te liguei umas cinco vezes hoje! Uma hora você estava em reunião, na outra tinha saído pra almoçar, tá difícil te encontrar, heim?
Pessoa B: Mas eu retornei todas as vezes, e também nunca te encontrava! Parece até que estávamos brincando de gato e rato!

Person B: I did returned your calls but I couldn't get ya! It seems that we were "playing phone tagging!"

In English: "Playing phone tagging"
7 62 296
I do not remember hearing To play phone tagging, but To play phone tag is common.
CENTENAS DE EXPRESSÕES DO INGLÊS
Preparamos um plano de estudos para ajudar você a dominar centenas de palavras e expressões do inglês em tempo recorde. EXPERIMENTE AGORA
Thomas, You're right! My bad, I had a question in my head!

The right expression is "playing phone tag" as you said!

Thanks for the correction!