Ancrispa: Diário de Bordo

9 55
Hi

Last year I made a strong resolution to study to take FCE exam. So I started to search for information and I found out that in 2015 both FCE and CAE exams will be revised.
They are going to be like the new CPE exam. That piece of news really made me sad because I was planning to take FCE in 2014 and CAE in 2015. Now due to this change I have to study for both exams, hit the books to boost up my English and take it to C1 level.
It’s challenging but I don’t know what power is over me indeed for I believe that even being a B2 English student with all my flaws in the English language, I will be able to pass on CAE exam. Perhaps the fear of taking the new CAE exam is so deep which gives me strength and courage to believe that it is possible.

I just want to write this diary to motivate me the most to keep on my studies. It can also help those on the same track as me.

I’ll try to update it on a regular basis.

Any expert may feel free to correct my mistakes.

Thank you
Ana

TESTE DE NÍVEL
Faça um teste de inglês e descubra seu nível em 10 minutos! Este teste foi desenvolvido por professores experientes. O resultado sai na hora e com gabarito. INICIAR TESTE
55 respostas
Ordenar por: Data
  Resposta mais votada
9 65 608
Ana, your text is very good. I would make only these changes:

Bill: ...I didn’t see from that coming!

Patricia: Why are you looking at me like I was an alien or something quite similar?

Bill: I don’t want you to get the wrong message. To me, you are a kind of an eccentric woman.
TESTE DE NÍVEL
Faça um teste de inglês e descubra seu nível em 10 minutos! Este teste foi desenvolvido por professores experientes. O resultado sai na hora e com gabarito. INICIAR TESTE
Last year I made a strong resolution to study (and) to take (the) FCE exam. So I started to search for information and I found out that in 2015, both (the) FCE and CAE exams will be revised.
They are going to be like the new CPE exam. (knowing that) really made me sad because I was planning to take (the) FCE in 2014 and (the) CAE in 2015. Now, due to (these changes) I (will) have to study for both exams hitting the books to (ramp up) my English and to take it to (the) C1 level.
It (is a challenge) but I don’t know what (got into me to) believe that even being a B2 English student with all my flaws in the English language, I will be able to pass on (the) CAE exam. Perhaps the fear of taking the new CAE exam is so deep (that gave) me strength and courage to believe that (this) is (really) possible (to achieve.)

I just want to write this diary (to motivate me and) to keep on my studies. (Besides, it could) also help those on the same track as me.

I will try to update it on a regular basis.

Thank you
Ana

Obs:
(Corrections)
On papers like this, refren yourself from using too many contractions!
(Major observation) If you are talking about both one thing and the other you must refer these on the plural.
I hope that can help you somehow!
Have fun studying!
9 55
I translated this text from an old French book to practise my writing.

It’s half past six in the morning. The alarm clock goes off.
Charles wakes up, open one eye, then the other, he yawns, stretches, and after a sudden movement (or quick movement) he jumps on his feet. He remembers that today is the first of October, the day back to school. He puts on his bathrobe over his pyjamas (British English), puts on his slippers and runs to the bathroom.
He undresses (or he gets undressed), turns on the shower and fast a cold shower starts flowing over his body! What an awakening bath and warm! Then he soaps and washes his face, his hands and rubs his body vigorously with a shower sponge.
After he puts the soap on the soap dish and dries himself with a bath towel.
Doing that he has just to comb his hair and brush his teeth. He is ready.
So he comes back to his bedroom, he gets dressed (or he puts on his clothes) and puts on his shoes. He gets down the stairs and comes into the kitchen to have his breakfast.
His mother and father are already there. Charles hugs them (or embraces) and has his breakfast with great appetite. He has a big bowl of cereals, two slices of bread full with butter and a cup of tea.
Then he goes to pick up his rucksack (backpack) in the living room: he is ready to go to school.
9 55
In front of the school, there is a numerous group of students. They are the former students who came back after two months and a half of separation.
They shake hands, talk to catch up the news. They tell about their holidays, the adventures and trips; then they mention about the new school year, the future teachers, the new subjects which they are going to learn.
The bell goes off: all the little talkative students cross the entrance gate and walk towards their classes without making noise because the principal is watching them.
Charles is on the fifth grade. His new teacher is called Mr.Chauvet.
When the teacher comes into the classroom everybody stands up. After making a brief welcome speech, Mr.Chauvet calls the roll (faz a chamada).There are two new students in the classroom who awaken the general curiosity.
When the bell goes off is the break, all the students leave the classroom to go to the courtyard. There the students play football, get informed about the news ,ask questions to one another, so many questions that they don’t know anymore which one to answer.

Ana
9 55
Gostaria, se possível, que algum expert corrigisse minha estória que fiz para treinar o Present Perfect e o Present Perfect Continuous:

Bill and Tricia are a couple. They are English. They have three kids: David, Oliver and little Kate. David is the oldest child. He is 11. Oliver is the middle son. He is 8. Kate is 5.
They live in London. Today is Sunday and it hasn’t been raining for weeks which is an uncommon thing for a rainy city like London. They are all at home. Tricia wants to take the kids to the Zoo.
But she has a difficult task. She has to persuade his coach potato husband that a stroll to the Zoo is a nice activity for the kids.
Bill as usual is in the living room watching TV. It is two o’clock in the afternoon and he has been watching TV since eight o’clock.
Here is the dialogue:
Tricia: Bill
Bill: What?
Tricia: Bill. I have been wondering if we should not take the kids to the Zoo this afternoon.
Bill: It’s boiling outside. I won’t go out with this bloody weather.
Tricia: You know Bill, I have always felt I did wrong when I got married to you.
Bill: Indeed. Dear. It’s very interesting because I have always wondered why I decided to become your husband.
Tricia: Ever since we got married I have been trying to put up with your rudeness for the kid’s sake but now I’ve had enough.
Bill: Don’t be silly. You can’t live without me.
Tricia: Try me.
Bill stands up very quickly and runs to the kid’s room. He stands at the door nearly breathless and says:
Kids! Get dressed! We are going to the Zoo.
David the oldest son answers:
That is wonderful Dad! We have never been to the Zoo before!
The other two kids start jumping with excitement.
Twenty minutes later the whole family is in the car on the way to the Zoo.

Thank you very much

Ana
TESTE DE NÍVEL
9 55
Escrevi esta estória para poder treinar algumas preposições de lugar. Vou aproveitar este espaço aqui no EE para enviar o que produzo na língua inglesa. Acho que é um jeito de progredir.

Bill is sitting down on the couch watching TV. His son, Oliver, comes into the living room and jumps onto his father’s lap. Here is the dialogue between father and son:
Oliver: Dad
Bill: Yes, dear.
Oliver: Today I have learnt (British: learn- learnt- learnt. American: learn-learned-learned) prepositions at school. I think I’ve got confused how to use them correctly.
Bill: Maybe I can help you. Come along son. I need an assistant. And I know a perfect one.
Bill turns off the television and takes his son to his bedroom where Fluffy, an eight month black Persian cat is sleeping on the bed. Bill gets Fluffy in his arms and says:
“Come on your Furball Cat! It’s high time that you started being useful here in this house! I have yet to see a lazy cat like you!”
Bill intends to put the cat in different places to teach his son some of the main prepositions of place.
Bill says: The two first prepositions you are going to learn are in and into. Pay attention son.
Bill is about to put Fluffy into a box and asks Oliver: What am I going to do?
Oliver: You are going to put Fluffy into the box.
Bill puts the cat into the box and asks: Where’s the cat now?
Oliver: Fluffy is in the box.
Bill: Terrific!
Bill takes the cat out of the box .He puts the cat under a chair. He asks: Where is the cat?
Oliver: Fluffy is under the chair.
Bill: Brilliant!
Bill places the cat between two chairs. He asks Oliver: Where is Fluffy now?
Oliver: Fluffy is between the two chairs.
Bill: Well done!
Bill takes the cat and puts it among four chairs. He asks: Where is the cat now?
Oliver: Fluffy is among the four chairs.
Bill: Amazing! So we use preposition between for two things and among for more than two things, right?
Oliver: Right, Dad.
Bill: Now you are going to learn prepositions on and onto.
Bill gets the cat and places it on the rug. He asks: Where is the cat?
Oliver: The cat is on the rug.
Bill: Glorious! Now I am going to do something very stupid just to show you the use of onto, ok?
Bill gets closer to the cat and shouts loudly. The cat gets scared and jumps onto the bed towards Oliver.
Bill asks: What has the cat just done?
Oliver: The cat has just jumped onto the bed.
Bill: So we use prepositions in and on to show location and into and onto to show movement. Did you understand?
Oliver: Perfectly!
Bill: Marvellous! (British: Marvellous, American: Marvelous)
Bill puts Fluffy on his lap and says: Sorry, Fluffy! But it was for a good cause. He pets the cat with tenderness.
Then Bill looks to his son and says: Now let’s suppose that Fluffy were climbing a tree and suddenly he lost his balance and fell off tree. Let me give you more example to the preposition off: A guy was riding his motorcycle in high speed in a fast lane, when all of a sudden a cow appeared in front of him. He had to turn away from the cow very quickly so he lost his balance and fell off the motorcycle. Did you understand, dear?
Oliver: Yes, Dad. You are a funny teacher.
Bill: How about a snack? I’ve got hungry after all this grammar lesson. Shall we go to the kitchen to grab something?
Oliver: Great! I’m starving, Dad.

Thank you very much
Ana
9 55
Outra estória da família inglesa.
Bill is on holiday. He and his family decided to take a trip to a tropical country. Being crazy about football and beaches the natural choice was Rio de Janeiro.
The family has been to Rio de Janeiro for six days. They are at Copacabana beach. The kids are as happy as Larry playing with a ball on the sand. Bill and Tricia are under the parasol watching the kids. Bill starts a very interesting conversation with Tricia:
Bill: Darling
Tricia: Yes, dear.
Bill: Darling, what’s Rio de Janeiro like to you now?
Tricia: Oh, dear! It’s a beautiful, outstanding, breathtaking city. You know when I watched on TV news about it, I always thought: “Oh Lord! One day I will go to Rio de Janeiro!” And my dream came true! I loved the Tijuca forest , the Botanical garden, the Christ the Redeemer (statue), the Sugar Loaf, the Lapa Arches. I also had a memorable time strolling on the favela’s cable car at German Complex Favela. Amazing!
I thought that while we were here you would just search for things connected with football like the Maracanã Stadium, but to my astonishment you quite forgot that crazy passion of yours. I’m grateful to you.
Bill: Good heavens! I think I will always bring you to Rio from now on! Since you have been here your mood switching disappeared. Thanks Lord! Rio de Janeiro, God bless you!
Tricia starts to laugh.
Then Oliver (the middle son) comes to his parents and asks: Mummy, I’m hungry!
Tricia: Oh, I guess we should find a place to eat Bill. It’s already one o’clock.
Bill: You are right. I’ll call the kids.
All the family goes to the restaurant.
They sit and Bill makes his order.
They eat with great appetite. Everything was delicious: the orange juice, the omelet and the French fries.
When the waiter brings the bill and gives it to Bill, the Englishman can hardly believe in what his eyes are seeing. He asks to the waiter: “Sorry, but it must have been a misunderstanding. This cannot be my bill. It’s absurd.”
The waiter: No, sir. It’s the right bill. Five omelets for hundred reais each, five glasses of orange for nine reais and five portions of French fries for thirty reais. There is no mistake.
Bill asks: Where did these eggs come from? Russia? And the oranges? Did they come from Tibet? And the potatoes? Did they come from Netherlands? I cannot figure out such high prices!
Seeing that his indignation causes no reaction from the waiter, Bill decides not to argue with the waiter. He pays the bill.
On leaving the restaurant, he says to Tricia: You know dear. I’ve always heard about the problem of violence in Brazil but since we have been here nothing happened. But I am under the impression that now I’ve just been robbed! What an expensive place!

Thank you very much
Ana
9 55
Uma correção: Complex German Favela.
9 55
outra correção : five glasses of orange juice (esqueci a palavra juice (suco))

outra correção: no reaction on the waiter's face
9 55
Episódio de hoje: “The problem with a call center attendant”
Bill is sitting on his couch. When he tries to turn on the TV he cannot because the remote control supplied by the cable company isn’t working. Without the signal from the cable company, Bill cannot watch any channel.
He gets very angry and calls his wife Tricia:
Bill: Tricia, I will call to the cable company to make a complaint about the remote control and the signal which refuses to appear!
Tricia: Ok, darling. I’ll get the phone to you.
Bill is dialing the number. He hangs on for more than 40 minutes when he finally hears a voice on the other side: Welcome to “Be happy ever last”. Please, follow our instructions carefully in order to get what you want. Press one to support. Press two to other sort of information. Press three to doubts about your bill.

Bill press number one and a call center attendant says: Can I help you, sir?
Bill: My remote control isn’t working. I cannot turn on my TV.
Call center attendant: Let me check some information before helping you. I must inform you that this call is being recorded.
Bill: Ok. Ask whatever you want. I go nowhere.
Call center attendant: What’s your name?
Bill: Bill Socks
Call: What’s your address?
Bill: It’s Harold road 157.
Call: Can I have your identity card number?
Bill: What? Are you working for the police now? What for?
Call: Sir, it’s just a normal procedure. It’s a rule of this company. It’s for your own security.
Bill: 1236548.
Call: How can I help you, sir?
Bill: As I already told you my remote control ,the one you supplied me to turn on the TV and have all my 542 channels isn’t working. What are you going to do about that? Are you able to help me?
Call: What’s the colour of your remote control?
Bill: It’s black.
Call: Could you tell me if on the top of it there are three buttons and their colours?
Bill: There are three buttons and they are yellow.
Call: Sir, Can you tell me the colour of your remote control?
Bill: What? Have you been drinking? I have just told you the colour of my remote control and the buttons on the top of it.
Call: Sir, I need to know the colour of it.
Bill: Are you mocking me? What are trying to do? If you cannot solve my problem pass me to another call center attendant!
The call center insists on the same question three times and after it she hangs up the phone on Bill.
Bill doesn’t believe in what has happened and tries to call again. Now another call center attendant :
Call: Good evening, sir.
Bill: Listen to me, I’m running out of patience because a colleague of yours has just hung on the phone on my face. My remote control doesn’t work. I have more than 500 channels and I can’t turn on my TV because of this!
Call: What colour is your remote control?
Bill: It’s black!
Call: Are there three buttons on the top of it? And what colour are they?
Bill: Yes, there are three buttons on the top of it and they are yellow!
Call: Sir, you have to turn on the TV. Then press the middle button on the top of the remote control.
Bill: I turned the TV and now I’m pressing the yellow button the one in the middle. It’s working the signal has just come back! I can see my channels! Thank you very much for your help. At least you were very professional unlike your colleague that was very rude with me.
Call: thank you, Sir. “Be happy ever last” thanks for your choice. Good evening.
Bill: Good evening.

Bill says to Tricia: You know darling, I wish I could be a call center attendant to hang up on unpleasant people whenever they call me!
Tricia: Oh, Dear! you cannot do that it is not right.
Bill: You are right my dear. Let’s go for a walk I need to cool off.
TESTE DE NÍVEL
9 55
Episódio de hoje “Dumb phones and smartphones”
Tricia wants a smartphone. So she started looking around at the shops to choose one. She decides to come back to one of the shops that she first saw because the price was very cheap. Here is the dialogue between Tricia and the shop assistant:
Shop assistant: Can I help you?
Tricia: Yes. I saw a mobile phone in the shop window. The black one with a plan that offers a 60 minute calling plan and internet.
Shop assistant: Wait a minute. I’ll get it for you.
After some minutes the shop assistant comes back.
Shop: This mobile phone is the cheapest with a plan of internet included.
Tricia: I like it. I’ll take it.
Shop: Thank you very much.
Tricia is over the moon. She comes back home and Bill is on the couch watching TV. She goes to him and tells the news:
Tricia: Bill! I’ve bought a smartphone with internet plan and 60 minute calling plan for just a hundred pounds a month a signature!
Bill: What? A smartphone for just a hundred pounds! No way! Let me see this smartphone !
Tricia: It’s here and it comes with a pen drive. Isn’t it, amazing?
Bill opens the box and starts laughing.
Tricia: What is so funny?
Bill: Oh, dear. It’s not a smartphone it is a dumb phone!
Tricia: It cannot be! I asked a mobile phone and Internet!
Bill: Oh, darling. This was your mistake. You should have asked a smartphone. Look this pen drive is for you to connect internet to a computer. And it is a slow speed internet connection. This mobile phone is only for callings. It’s useless and very poor in terms of technology.
Tricia: But the shop assistant told me that I would have internet!
Bill: Indeed. You do have internet service in this pen drive to connect to a computer.
Tricia feels sad and wants to cry.
Bill notices and says: You know dear, sometimes I feel you are so naïve that I have the impression you come from another planet. But you can bet that you are my favourite martian!
If one day I have the opportunity to travel to Mars I’ll be quite glad to meet your real parents…
Bill hugs Tricia and kisses her very gently. She feels better. She is indeed a happy martian.

Episódio de hoje: “at the vet’s”
Tricia is particularly worried about Fluffy. The cat has been doing nothing but sleeping. It’s a black male Persian cat. She decides to share her worries with her husband Bill.
Tricia: Bill
Tricia: Have you noticed how Fluffy is pale?
Bill: Since when a cat begins to get pale?
Tricia: Fluffy does not do anything. I’m deeply worried about him.
Bill: That furball has been like that since we bought it. There is nothing wrong with him. On the other hand, the difference in his weight is amazing. The guy looks like a tiger in size not a pet.
Tricia: I think we should take him to the vet’s.
Bill: What an expensive cat! We have spent more money on this cat than a woman at a shoe store on a Black Friday Day!
Tricia: If this cat dies you will bear the blame for your whole life!
Bill: It won’t be a heavy burden.
Tricia: Let’s go Bill!
Bill: ok. Pick up that bloody cat.
At the vet’s:
The vet examines Fluffy very carefully on the x-ray and then she says:
Congratulations! Your female black Persian cat is pregnant! There are four beautiful kittens!
I could see on the X-ray!
Bill gets pale and speechless whilst Tricia is in seventh heaven.
Tricia says to Bill: It is a female cat! Lovely! Now our family is going to get bigger. I can’t wait to tell the children! They will get so glad!
Bill: I think I’ll do overwork to feed all these kittens. I never thought that one day I would have so many mouths to feed! Good heavens!
6 49 1.3k
“The problem with a call center attendant”

Bill is sitting on his couch. When he tries to turn on the TV he cannot because the remote control supplied by the cable company isn’t working. Without the signal from the cable company, Bill cannot watch any channel.

There´s a glitch in the paragraph, or it´s me? If the remote is out of order, why we are told that the guy is without the signal from the cable company. Wouldn´t he simply turn the TV on manually? Then he would use the TV menu?
Anyway, because you are with a faulty remote doesn´t mean the signal isn´t coming...that the server/company is at fault.

Maybe it wasn´t the TV remote, but the remote of the satellite box receiver...then would be another can of worms altogether!
6 49 1.3k
Okay, would be more like the Sky provider (a DBS system if I am right).
DBS - direct broadcast system, generally provide a box and a remote to access their programme listings. Generally a high-powered mini-dish service.

If so, with the remote out of order, would be impossible to access their broadcasting, but not render the TV set impossible to turn on. I understood, what you meant, though.
9 55
Episódio de hoje: “The Italian boss”
Bill has just arrived home. He comes into the kitchen where Tricia is making dinner.
Here is the conversation between this lovely couple:
Bill: Good evening, darling.
Tricia: Good Evening. How was your day?
Bill: It was a very hard day but I have news for you.
Tricia: What sort of news? Good, I hope.
Bill: I invited my boss to dinner here with us tomorrow. And he’s going to bring along his wife.
Tricia: What? Have you lost your mind? You’ve been always telling me I’m a terrible cook and now you invite your boss and his wife to come over and have dinner? Do you want to lose your job? What am I going to prepare for them? I just cook the basics so that I can get by. Bill sometimes I really feel like punching you in the face.
Bill: Darling. Don’t worry about it. You are not going to cook anything. I’ll take away from a very good Italian restaurant.
Tricia: Why on earth Italian food? Is he Italian?
Bill: Yes, dear. And he doesn’t speak English.
Tricia: Terrific! Delightful! Your boss doesn’t speak a word of English. How will I be able to communicate with him? I don’t know Italian. Should I learn all the Italian drills till tomorrow? What do you suggest?
Bill: Well, you can talk with his wife. She’s Brazilian and speaks English.
Tricia: At least I can speak with the wife. But we must tell them the truth about my limited abilities in the culinary world. It’s not right to deceive them. Besides, let’s suppose one day they decide to eat out and go to the same restaurant and order the same dish?
Bill: Oh right, dear. We will tell them the truth. But let them first eat the food with great pleasure and make compliments about your wonderful abilities in the culinary world, and after that we tell them. I want to see Francesco’s face when he finds out the truth. It will be a very unique moment.
9 55
Episódio de hoje: “The awaited dinner” ;)

Tricia ordered the Italian food. The food has just arrived. Tricia will heat it up when the guests arrive.
She is very nervous because she feels that this is not the right thing to do. She certainly thinks that it doesn’t matter the situation you must be honest. But her couch potato husband Bill insisted on this stupid plan and she didn’t have choice.
Now the lovely couple is in the living room waiting for the Italian boss and his Brazilian wife. The bell is ringing. Bill goes towards the door to open it and welcome the couple:
Bill: Good Evening!
Franco: Buona nsera! Questa è la mia moglie Maria. Lei è brasiliana.
Good evening! This is my wife Maria. She is Brazilian.
Bill: Nice to meet you. Please, come in.
Tricia : Good evening. I’m Tricia, Bill’s wife.
Maria: Nice to meet you.
Franco: Piacere!
They sit down and the chat begins very lively.
After some time they decided to go to the table. Tricia runs to the kitchen to heat up the food.
Bill keeps entertaining the couple.
Tricia comes with a lot of Italian dishes and the smell is delicious. She lays the table with all the food and says:
You know I don’t cook very well. I bought all this food from a very traditional Italian restaurant. I hope you really enjoy your meal.
Maria: Oh dear! Don’t worry! I’m not a great cook either! The most important thing is our gathering here and we are having a wonderful time!
Franco and Bill start eating the food with verocious appetite ! And the two women burst out laughing on seeing this amusing scene.
Everything was going very well when suddenly the Fluffy (the Persian cat mother of four kittens) jumps onto the table attracted by the food smell. The kittens followed her mother and also jumped onto the table. They attacked the food on the trays .
Franco starts yelling: What the hell! Che diavolo! Where do these cats come from? Da dove vengono questi gatti?
Tricia and Bill got desperate trying to pick up all the cats from the table. But they are smarter and faster . They run, run and run on the table. They forgot the food and begin to play with one another.
Seeing no solution to the problem the guests start laughing at this unusual and unexpected scene. Franco even tries to calm down Bill and Maria does the same with Tricia. They went to the sofa and start drinking some wine and eating some appetizers that were on the coffee table.
The cats finally got tired and came down from the table with their mouths full of tomato sauce and grounded meat from the lasagna….
When the guests left the house, Bill talks to Tricia:
Dear! What a disaster! It couldn’t have been worse!
Tricia: Well! Look at the bright side your boss got amused by the situation.
Bill: Yes. I had never seen him laughing heartedly before.
TESTE DE NÍVEL
2 5 42
Hello o/

I was reading your stories and I see you have a lot of imagination Ana :D
I want to say I liked all your stories and I can see you know italian too, I am impressed.
(I didn't forget about your knowledge in french too. How many languages are you learning? :lol: )
Keep doing these great stories you do and I wish good luck in your exams.

All the best my friend.
6 49 1.3k
Tricia ordered the Italian food and the food has just arrived. Tricia will heat it up when the guests arrive.

She is very nervous because she feels that this is not the right thing to do. She certainly thinks *that it doesn’t matter what people will think of you, you must be honest. But her couch potato husband Bill insisted on this stupid plan and she didn’t have a choice.
===============================

OR
*that it doesn´t matter what situation you get into, you must be honest.
9 55
Hello Diego
Thank you very much for your words and consideration. I think one of the best ways to improve my English is through writing. It hasn’t been easy for me so far, but there is a slight chance that in a foreseeable future I’ll succeed on it.

Hello Paulo
Thank you very much for your corrections. You are always welcome to correct my mistakes. I have learnt a great deal since I started writing here.

I wish you alll the best, my friends ;)
6 49 1.3k
Hi there, Ana! You are improving by the day, as noticed by Diego. And I bet you will get there, you will ace that test.
I am glad that my poster have been of help for you, and I have to say that I, myself, have learned a great deal here.
I am proud of the site, and of the teamwork; and I would like to share the compliment with all those devoted members that
have been around, sharing knowledgeable information and English tips.
I am inspired by the natives, teachers, other advanced learners and all those that have shared their valuable insights here, all this time.
May our English keep improving and growing continuously like it has been, and that we pass on knowledge to others in need of it. God bless we all, and I wish you all have a great week!
9 55
It’s been a while since the last time I posted here. It’s important to say that all these stories are from my imagination. I have made up them so far with a unique purpose: to improve my writing skills.

Bill is at the kitchen with Tricia and he’s down in the dumps. He must tell Tricia that he is going to lose his job due to the world economic crisis. The company where he works is in its last legs. And He has just found out an internal layoff list where his name is on it.
Tricia is making dinner. He starts the conversation:
Bill: Dear, we need to talk.
Tricia: Of course, my dear. What happened? You don’t look particularly radiant.
Bill: I’ve found out that my name is on an internal layoff list. I’m going to lose my job.
Tricia: Oh! This is terrible news! But dear, are you sure?
Bill: I’m as sure as I know that snows heavily in Siberia during the winter.
Tricia: Dear don’t panic! We need to be optimistic like Pollyana.
Bill: Who is this Pollyana? Is she English? Tricia: Pollyana is a classic of children’s literature. I can’t believe you’ve never heard about it before.
Bill: No. Besides in what possible way a novel could help me at this very moment?
Tricia: Well, to put it in a nutshell: It’s a story about a little girl a very poor one, first she lost her mother and then her father, so she went to live with her aunt, an austere and very rich woman.
But Pollyana overcame bravely all her difficulties with positive thought, gentleness and lots of love.

Bill: Do you want me to burst out crying? Seriously Tricia, sometimes I think you travel to another country while I’m talking to you.
Tricia: Don’t be rude! Have you tried to look at the bright sight?
Bill: What bright sight! For heaven’s sake!
Tricia: We can start a small business. I’ve always wanted to open a restaurant.
Bill: You are the worst cook of England and it’s not exactly a secret for our friends and acquaintances…
Tricia: I’ve always wanted to open a language school too.
Bill: We just speak English.
Tricia: Yes. But your boss is Italian and his wife is Brazilian. Now we have English, Italian and Portuguese.
Bill: Dear! You are a genius! I haven’t thought about that! This can be an excellent solution! Franco is also on the list and another day at the office he brought up this conversation about changing of careers. Tomorrow I’ll talk to him.
Tricia: You see! Now you are acting like Pollyana. Positive thought is always the best solution my dear. I’m sure this project will work.
Bill: You know dear I don’t know what I would have become if I hadn’t met you in my life.
Tricia: Probably you would still be living with your parents because you wouldn’t get married to another woman but me. Who else in this magnificent world would love you as I love?
Bill: It’s true my love. Shall we eat now? This entire philosophical subject has just increased my appetite.
TESTE DE NÍVEL
9 65 608
Ana, you are a good writer. I enjoy reading your texts and suggest these corrections to this one:

Bill is at the kitchen with Tricia and he’s down in the dumps. He must tell Tricia that he is going to lose his job due to the world economic crisis. The company where he works is on its last legs. And He has just found out an internal layoff list with his name is on it.
Tricia is making dinner. He starts the conversation:
Bill: Dear, we need to talk.
Tricia: Of course, my dear. What happened? You don’t look particularly radiant.
Bill: I’ve found out that my name is on an internal layoff list. I’m going to lose my job.
Tricia: Oh! This is terrible news! But Dear, are you sure?
Bill: I’m as sure as I know that snows heavily in Siberia during the winter.
Tricia: Dear don’t panic! We need to be optimistic like Pollyana.
Bill: Who is this Pollyana? Is she English?
Tricia: Pollyana is a classic of children’s literature. I can’t believe you’ve never heard about it before.
Bill: No, besides, in what possible way a novel could help me at this very moment?
Tricia: Well, to put it in a nutshell, it’s a story about a little girl, a very poor one, first she lost her mother and then her father, so she went to live with her aunt, an austere and very rich woman.
But Pollyana overcame bravely all her difficulties with positive thoughts, gentleness and lots of love.
Bill: Do you want me to burst out crying? Seriously Tricia, sometimes I think you travel to another country while I’m talking to you.
Tricia: Don’t be rude! Have you tried to look at the bright side?
Bill: What bright side! For heaven’s sake!
Tricia: We can start a small business. I’ve always wanted to open a restaurant.
Bill: You are the worst cook in England and it’s not exactly a secret for our friends and acquaintances…
Tricia: I’ve always wanted to open a language school too.
Bill: We just speak English.
Tricia: Yes, but your boss is Italian and his wife is Brazilian. Now we have English, Italian and Portuguese.
Bill: Dear! You are a genius! I haven’t thought about that! This can be an excellent solution! Franco is also on the list and the other day at the office, he brought up this conversation about changing of career. Tomorrow I’ll talk to him.
Tricia: You see! Now you are acting like Pollyana. Positive thoughts are always the best solution my dear. I’m sure this project will work.
Bill: You know dear, I don’t know what I would have become if I hadn’t met you in my life.
Tricia: Probably, you would still be living with your parents because you wouldn’t get married to another woman but me. Who else in this magnificent world would love you as I do?
Bill: It’s true my love. Shall we eat now? This entire philosophical subject has just increased my appetite.
6 49 1.3k
Just a note, in passing I eyed this on page 1 of this topic. Don´t know if it was already noticed, though.
Complex of communities "Favela do Alemão" (Complexo da Favela do Alemão , in plain Portuguese) but the media abroad generally don´t translate proper names, names of places, people, etc. Sometimes, but generally they don´t.

Many communities are known as "vilas", Vila Matinha, Vila Cruzeiro, etc, on the whole would be called a "complex" of communities.

http://online.wsj.com/articles/rio-face ... 1405989525
Here you can see that they understand as a complex, and a complex of communities.

http://www.economist.com/node/17627963
6 49 1.3k
All in all, Ana, you deliver the goods.
It´s always refreshing and genuinely written, even surprising in a good way, one can feel it! you are out to be a big time writer.
Keep up the good work!
9 55
Telma

Thank you very much for your help. Feel free to correct my compositions whenever you can. To me, you are one of the best English teachers I've ever had. I've been learning a lot from you. I would also like to thank you for your kind words.

Paulo

Thank you very much for the tip about the proper names. I didn't know about that.

Paulo and Telma:
Feel free to correct me anytime. You are my English teachers ;)
6 49 1.3k
Count on all of us, of English Experts. Telma indeed is our maestro (I struggled with "maestro/maestrina/maestra" but then, settled on maestro).

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/stor ... Id=6172220

I am a learner with a retired teacher mother, a teacher son, an aunt that was a teacher (that influenced me as well), although I would love to be a teacher. Who knows someday in the future I could make forays in that area? not now, my skills aren´t up to this so much loved and interesting task, being a provider of instruction and education.

On the other hand, I gather that yours was a cumpliment, very kind of you. So, I much appreciated your kind feedback.

I like to point that out, not exactly out of modesty. It´s because I do am a learner, and some time ago I was answering a question in an English chat, and they said that I had to point out that I was a learner, not a teacher.
Not surprising that they corrected my answer, and it was not exactly accurate.
That´s why I like to say to my the fellow learners they "don´t take my word for it", one have to use their critical thinking and make some search around.
I try to do my conscientious best, though. I just have my limits! he he. :lol:
TESTE DE NÍVEL
9 55
Episódio de hoje: “The carrot cake” ;)

Tricia is making a carrot cake for the kids. She got the recipe from Maria her Brazilian friend and business partner in the language school.
She puts all the ingredients into the blender and when she presses the button of the blender to turn it on, the dough begins to shake. But there is a problem. Tricia has just forgotten to chop the carrots into small pieces.
She’s been snowed under with work at the moment. She is tired. Besides being incredibly absent-minded and inattentive by nature. She reads the recipe and it is written: three medium sized carrots.
She always cooks listening classical music. At this very moment she is listening “the Barber of Seville” by Rossini. She is absolutely delighted. It’s a wonderful piece of classical music.
Suddenly a burning smell comes from the blender. She thinks it is normal, because it must be a huge task for this little, delicate household appliance to blend all the ingredients until they become soft.

She just closes her eyes and keeps on her amazing journey to the world of the classical music. She hears a noise coming from the blender. It has burnt.
She had already pre-heated the oven before making the cake. She also forgot that. She decides to take the blender to repair.
She leaves home and is walking with the blender in her hands when she remembers she forgot to turn the oven off.
She thinks “It never rains but it pours”.
She heads back home. Luckily her hero Bill realized the oven was on while he was in the kitchen to grab some beers.
She comes into the kitchen and meets Bill. Here is the dialogue:
Bill: Dear, I’m afraid you’ve forgotten to turn the oven off. What happened? Where were you?
Tricia: Oh, dear. I was trying to make the Brazilian carrot cake that Maria taught me, when a smoke came out of the blender. And the blender stopped working. It burnt so, I thought of taking to the repair shop. I was on the way of it when I remembered that I forgot to turn off the oven.
Bill: Didn’t you hear a noise?
Tricia: Yes, a strong one.
Bill: Were you listening classical musical whilst you were cooking?
Tricia: Yes. I assume the blame. I was asleep at the wheel.
Bill: Dear, how many times I’ve told you to not listen it while you cook? You get easily distracted by it. It’s dangerous.
Tricia: Yes, dear I can see now.
Bill: Now you can listen to Lacrimosa by Mozart. Don’t you think it suits well to the occasion?
Tricia: Honey, I’m already feeling like crying.
Bill: Don’t cry. I can make some pancakes for the children.
Tricia: Would you do that for me? Oh! What a lovely husband!
Bill: Dear. It’s not that. If we don’t give them something to eat in the next twenty minutes they are going to eat one of us or one of that little kittens fur ball or even Fluffy. They are starving! Get these snacks that I found in the cupboard and take to them while I make the pancakes.
Tricia: Right away, dear.
Bill: You see dear every cloud has a silver lining.
9 65 608
Another good text, Ana. I've made some minor corrections:

Tricia is making a carrot cake for the kids. She got the recipe from Maria her Brazilian friend and business partner at the language school.
She puts all the ingredients into the blender and when she presses the button of the blender to turn it on, the dough begins to shake. But there is a problem. Tricia has just forgotten to chop the carrots into small pieces.
She’s been snowed under with work at the moment. She is tired. Besides being incredibly absent-minded and inattentive by nature. She reads the recipe and it is written: three medium sized carrots.
She always cooks listening to classical music. At this very moment she is listening “the Barber of Seville” by Rossini. She is absolutely delighted. It’s a wonderful piece of classical music.
Suddenly a burning smell comes from the blender. She thinks it is normal, because it must be a huge task for this little, delicate household appliance to blend all the ingredients until they become soft.

She just closes her eyes and keeps on her amazing journey to the world of the classical music. She hears a noise coming from the blender. It has burnt.
She had already pre-heated the oven before making the cake. She also forgot that. She decides to take the blender to repair.
She leaves home and is walking with the blender in her hands when she remembers she forgot to turn the oven off.
She thinks “It never rains but it pours”.
She heads back home. Luckily her hero Bill realized the oven was on while he was in the kitchen to grab some beers.
She comes into the kitchen and meets Bill. Here is the dialogue:
Bill: Dear, I’m afraid you’ve forgotten to turn the oven off. What happened? Where were you?
Tricia: Oh, dear. I was trying to make the Brazilian carrot cake that Maria taught me, when a smoke came out of the blender. And the blender stopped working. It burnt so, I thought of taking it to the repair shop. I was on the way of it when I remembered that I had forgotten to turn off the oven.
Bill: Didn’t you hear a noise?
Tricia: Yes, a strong one.
Bill: Were you listening to classical musical whilst you were cooking?
Tricia: Yes. I assume the blame. I was asleep at the wheel.
Bill: Dear, how many times I’ve told you to not listen to it while you cook? You get easily distracted by it. It’s dangerous.
Tricia: Yes, dear I can see now.
Bill: Now you can listen to Lacrimosa by Mozart. Don’t you think it suits well to the occasion?
Tricia: Honey, I’m already feeling like crying.
Bill: Don’t cry. I can make some pancakes for the children.
Tricia: Would you do that for me? Oh! What a lovely husband!
Bill: Dear. It’s not that. If we don’t give them something to eat in the next twenty minutes they are going to eat one of us or one of those little kittens fur ball or even Fluffy. They are starving! Get these snacks that I found in the cupboard and take to them while I make the pancakes.
Tricia: Right away, dear.
Bill: You see dear every cloud has a silver lining.
9 55
Bill, Tricia, Maria and Franco have been working hard since they opened the school. Now they are having a boarding meeting. Let’s see what these amazing creatures are talking:
Tricia: Well, this is our first meeting since we opened the school. Bill: Yes and I’m happy because we already made a profit after just a year of work! It’s absolutely brilliant, isn’t it? Now we have to focus on how to improve our courses or even the school structure. Have you got any ideas?
Maria: Well, we could buy more books to the library.
Bill: It’s a good idea, Maria. I like it.
Tricia: We could buy tablets to be used during the classes, we could hire a Chinese teacher, we could hire another English teacher, we could move to a bigger house and therefore we would have more rooms to offer other courses such as French, German and Russian.
Franco: Ecco! Chi è questa donna? Molto creativa! Senza dubbio! (Who is this woman! Very creative one! Without doubt!) Grazie a Dio tu non sei ma moglie, perche si hai la stessa creatività quando sale per fare acquisti... povero Bill...
Bill: What does it mean?
Franco: povero- poor
Bill: Would you mind translating the whole sentence for me, please?
Franco: Oh, come on! Who is this woman? A very creative one! Without doubt! Thanks God you are not my wife, because if you have the same creativity when you go shopping… poor Bill…
Bill: Oh, you don’t have the faintest idea about the matter. It’s a serious one.
Tricia: Dear, you are making a storm in teacup. It’s not like that. What are they going to think about me? I’m not a compulsive shopper. Besides when I go shopping is beyond necessity, it is therapeutic. Maria could you back me up here?
Maria: In your defense Tricia, I have to say that women love going shopping. I myself often go shopping.
Franco: Questo è vero! (This is true) but you don’t buy everything you see. You are a moderate shopper.
Bill: Tricia is like a hurricane. Whenever she goes shopping she comes back full of bags and with the same excuses: It was a real bargain! Everything was on sale! I had 50 % off on all articles!
Tricia: Are we here to talk about my shopping habits or about our language school? We cannot give up on a dream. Why can’t we have a Chinese, French, German and Russian teacher? Why do we have to think small?
Bill: You are right. Besides I’m accustomed to your crazy, lunatic shopping habits. I dare say I can’t live without them anymore. Your idea of getting bigger is great. We just have to find a good house or a building that fits to our plans. Maria, Franco what do you suggest?
Franco: Well, if we can dream we can have it. Tricia is right. We should offer more courses.
Maria: I agree with her. If we move to a bigger place, we hire more teachers of different languages. I think the challenge will be to find a perfect place that fits in our budget.
Tricia: I already have the place!
Tricia: My uncle Bob has passed away and he left me his house. A big three-storey house.
Bill: Why didn’t you tell me before?
Tricia: My dear I wanted to make a surprise. Shall we go to see it?
Bill, Franco and Maria: Right away!
Everybody leaves the house in a great joy. We never should give up on our dreams.
9 55
Episódio de hoje: “Como aprender uma língua muito difícil”
Tricia has come up with a brilliant idea: to learn Russian by herself.
She cannot say that she’s making a wonderful progress; although she fairly understands that the Russian language is quite difficult to learn by oneself. Thus, she’s been listening to Russian songs on youtube in order to get used to the sound of the language.
However, she has been singing all day long very loudly wherever she goes. Her husband Bill is actually beginning to get worried about that.
Let’s see what is going to happen:
Tricia is sitting at her desk listening to a popular Russian folk song. She’s trying to sing along with the male singer but it’s virtually impossible not be out of tune, at least for a while.
Bill comes into the room and start to shout at her: For God’s sake, Tricia! Can’t you just stop for a minute? I can’t stand listening to this song anymore! You’ve been listening to it a hundred times so far! Have pity on my poor ears! You are completely out of tune!
Tricia: You don’t understand, my dear! I must learn it! It’s important to me!
Bill: Why on earth is it so important? Are you planning to move to Moscow?
Tricia: Perhaps.
Bill: What do you mean?
Tricia: Well, if I meet a polite Russian gentleman I’ll go to Moscow.
Bill: What!!! Are you using the first condition on purpose or just to tease me? Or Did you already meet a Russian man on the last days?
Tricia: Oh dear! Come on! Let me rephrase it: If I met a Russian gentleman, I’d go to Moscow! Second condition - supposition.

Bill: Assuming you’d met a Russian gentleman, you would have told me, wouldn’t you?
Tricia: Dear Lord! I can’t even play anymore. You are taking everything I say quite seriously! It’s absolutely priceless!

Bill: Tell me my dear. Do you manage to sing ochi chernye by heart?
Tricia: Of course, my dear. Would you like to hear?
Bill: Well, do I have any other option?
Tricia: I’m afraid not. It’s your only option.
Bill: ok! You can start! I’m all ears…
Tricia starts singing…
At the end of the song Bill says:
My dear, if you truly want to learn Russian, I think you should find a teacher. He is going to be of invaluable contribution to your development in the Russian language. Don’t worry about the price. I’ll pay everything. It’s a promise.

Tricia: I couldn’t agree more with you my love. Repetition is the key. You can go now. I need to keep listening to the song and singing along…
Bill leaves the room and says to himself:
Bill: God! The nightmare isn’t over!
9 55
After reading Cinnamon’s and Artful’s posts, I decided to write my journey of learning English.

When I started studying English, I wasn’t exactly a teenager with a face full of pimples. On the contrary, I was in my late twenties. Seeing that I was “relatively old” for the task, I felt quite disheartened. Moreover, I wasn’t familiar with the ins and outs of the English language. I only had that wonderful bloody stupid English learnt in high school.

With all that in mind, I started learning English in a “magic school” (I’m being sarcastic here). What is a magic school? It’s a school that promises fluency within a short period of time or your money back. Great! Fantastic!

Researchers say that sarcasm is the highest form of wit. ;)

After five months, I genuinely felt like a tamed parrot. I realized I learnt by heart all the sentences, but I wanted more. I wasn’t learning. I was repeating sentences.

Thus I started looking for a traditional school. I took a placement test. They informed me I could enroll to Intermediate level. I personally think I managed to get on this level, because I used to listen to BBC world news service radio every day. I also studied a lot of grammar at home.

I remained there until I had passed all levels (four years and a half to be more precisely).I’m not a philosopher, though I believe that each one develops his own way of learning a language.

I haven’t written anything creative in a while. Hopefully I got this fresh inspiration from my friends’ posts.

Thank you very much!