Como dizer "Botar fé (sentir firmeza) em algo" em inglês

2 16
Olá pessoal,

Vejam o exemplo abaixo:

Aline disse que ia começar a estudar Inglês e Russo ao mesmo tempo, mas eu não botei muita fé (não senti firmeza).

Algo similar em Inglês?

Valeus

TESTE DE NÍVEL
Faça um teste de inglês e descubra seu nível em 10 minutos! Este teste foi desenvolvido por professores experientes. O resultado sai na hora e com gabarito. Você ainda ganha o eBook sobre o Verbo Get em seu e-mail. INICIAR TESTE
9 respostas
Ordenar por: Data
  Resposta mais votada
6 49 1.3k
English is flexible, Alexandre. Before answering your question, one more way to express what was originally asked:

Aline said that she would start studying English and Russian at the same time, but I don´t really think she means it.

So, you can say something in several ways, that includes the use of "trust" and "believe". Anyway, the way one put it can make a whale of a difference.

For instance: Aline said that she would start studying English and Russian at the same time, but I don´t really she will.

Here it could be that "eu não sinto firmeza" in the sense that she probably won´t do what she says, that is. One feels that she doesn´t mean what she says"
It could be that she is a full-fledged liar (she frequently lies and certainly it won´t be any different this time). In that situation I just don´t trust what she says, ergo - I don´t trust what she´s saying right now.

Summing up, "não sentir firmeza" could mean "não acreditar/não confiar" but it could also be "não acreditar muito/achar que a pessoa não vai fazer ou não vai conseguir fazer algo".

The "...I don´t think she meant/means it." could cover both senses (not at the same time, of course). The context would be what would express which one you wish to express.
TESTE DE NÍVEL
Faça um teste de inglês e descubra seu nível em 10 minutos! Este teste foi desenvolvido por professores experientes. O resultado sai na hora e com gabarito. Você ainda ganha o eBook sobre o Verbo Get em seu e-mail. INICIAR TESTE
1 3 96
Pensei em usar a expressão:

Put/place your faith in someone/something.
6 49 1.3k
Aline disse que ia começar a estudar Inglês e Russo ao mesmo tempo, mas eu não botei muita fé(não senti firmeza).

Aline said that she would start studying English and Russian at the same time, I wasn´t much convinced (of that).

Aline said that she would start studying English and Russian at the same time, I didn´t believe much, at the time.

Aline said that she would start studying English and Russian at the same time, but she said that with much conviction.
(indeed this is a bit different from the two previous sentences, it´s implicit that you don´t believe she will do that, you "feel" that she won´t, because she made a half-hearted statement.)
2 4 41
Hie everybody....

Can I use this words: trust and believe?

See you !!1
6 49 1.3k
Yes, depending on context.
Because "não botar fé/não sentir firmeza" could well mean, "don´t think it is going to happen/don´t be convinced much etc" or still "don´t believe in her, in what she says (or does, afterwards.)

That is "acreditar com vontade/ter fé de que vai acontecer" and the other meaning "acreditar no que ela diz..."
MELHORE SUA PRONÚNCIA EM INGLÊS
Nesta aula, o professor Adir Ferreira, autor do livro "A Chave do Aprendizado da Língua Inglesa", nos conta como se tornou um Expert em pronúncia e dá várias dicas para você se comunicar melhor em inglês. ACESSAR AULA
3 15 131
My suggestions:

Aline disse que ia começar a estudar Inglês e Russo ao mesmo tempo, mas eu não botei muita fé(não senti firmeza).

1) Aline said she was going to start to learn English and Russian at the same time, but I have not taken her word for it.

2) Aline said she was going to start to learn English and Russian at the same time, but I have not taken it on trust.

Bye!
6 49 1.3k
A little correction to a sentence of mine, thank you peer observant students that pointed that out:

Aline said that she would start studying English and Russian at the same time, but I don´t really think she will.

;-)
This comes to mind:

Aline said she was going to start to learn English and Russian at the same time, but I wouldn't swear by it.

Is this a possibility maybe?
6 49 1.3k
In a way yes (and in this case), "você não bota fé", in certain contexts.

In other situations (perhaps more usual) would be that you don´t vouch for him, you don´t put your hands in the fire for him, you wouldn´t bet your bottom Dollar for it.