Como dizer "Lotação (carro, van, ônibus)" em inglês

1 31 435
Jitney
A vehicle carrying many passengers, used for public transport.

Jitney bus:
San Francisco has a "Jitney Bus" that attempts to correct the horrendous hole in transit between the Caltrain commuter rail and downtown. (news.ycombinator.com)

Gostei da definição do Urban dictionary:
Jitney - Unlicensed taxi cabs that service high-crime areas where licensed cabs don't want to go.

AMPLIANDO O VOCABULÁRIO
Isa Mara Lando é uma referência entre os profissionais de tradução. Ela já traduziu mais de 100 livros, entre eles estão obras de autores aclamados, como: George Orwell, Salman Rushdie e Walter Isaacson (a biografia de Einstein). Nesta aula gratuita, Isa dá várias dicas de vocabulário. ACESSAR AULA
3 respostas
Ordenar por: Data
  Resposta mais votada
Nops, and I think you meant SHUTTLE BUS.
Jitneys are privately-owned buses that provide public transportation in Hudson County, New Jersey, and several surrounding towns and cities. They come in many shapes and sizes, from small minibuses to full-length vehicles. The unifying characteristic of a jitney isn’t the type of vehicle, it’s the transit service they provide.
The funny thing is that MERRIAM WEBSTER defines a “jitney" as an “unlicensed taxicab.” Basically, it’s a dude who hangs out in front of well-trafficked areas such as grocery stores, popular bars and restaurants in Black neighborhoods and asks people if they need a ride. My city was once full of these jitneys. When you caught a ride from one, he would charge you less than a cab would; after a few minutes in his car, you would invariably discover a person or family that you had in common.
APRESENTAÇÃO PESSOAL EM INGLÊS
Nesta aula, a professora Camila Oliveira ensina como você deve se preparar para fazer uma apresentação pessoal profissional em inglês. O conteúdo dessa aula ajudará você a aproveitar melhor as oportunidades no ambiente corporativo. ACESSAR AULA
Hi @zumstein!

Can I say "bus suttler" and "minibus"?
6 49 1.3k
In Brazil, the equivalent to the 'illegal' Jitney cabs is called in some states "pirate taxis/pirate cabs". Those are/were informal taxis, sort of, it was cars owned by individuals that wanted an extra money by charging for rides (some of them became turned into taxi drivers in practice (de facto, but not officially).
Those didn't serve high-crime areas, they filled a gap left by undeserved bus routes.
I mean, you were in a city in a given capital in the northeast region, the last bus to another capital had left, you needed or wanted to get home that night not the following day...
Then suddenly a dude would come up and announce his car was a (taxi) "alternativo" (when the State would crack down on them called "piratas"). So, you and some four more guys or girls would 'clubbed together' to pay the so-called taxi. It was a taxi fare shared by the riders, so if one rider would go to the West, other to the West etc, could be that from the bus station A to B (on another state) you would travel overnight, and I mean all over night! By a zig-zag and zag-zig route...
You would also wait until all the 'spots' (seats) were filled out. That is, until four riders are found/invited and 'get on board'.

Ref. seattlerep