Correção de Texto: Story

Hello everyone, I need to write a text uses some words, but I'm not sure if I'm using it correctly !! I hope someone can tell me!
Words: Laughing Lines ,Crow´s feet,Receding hairline, to stick out, birthday boy/girl

Text:
Once again, Vivian is getting ready for a party, she does not like to be late, especially for this one, since she is the great birthday girl.
For some older people, complaining about age is a type of hobby, however Vivian likes to enjoy life and complain less. Vivian is tired of hearing his old friends complaining about their crow´s feet or how receding hairline makes him stick out when they are among young people. She knows how to value her laughing lines and believes that this is just a sign of maturity. So, tonight she will enjoy another party, because age is not an obstacle for her.

Minha maior duvida o " Stick out" queria usa no sentindo de se sobressair

Thank you in advance.

AMPLIANDO O VOCABULÁRIO
Isa Mara Lando é uma referência entre os profissionais de tradução. Ela já traduziu mais de 100 livros, entre eles estão obras de autores aclamados, como: George Orwell, Salman Rushdie e Walter Isaacson (a biografia de Einstein). Nesta aula gratuita, Isa dá várias dicas de vocabulário. ACESSAR AULA
4 respostas
Ordenar por: Data
PPAULO 6 49 1.3k
I have a comment about the following part:

Vivian is tired of hearing his old friends complaining about their crow´s feet or how receding hairline makes him stick out when they are among young people.

I would change the wording to:
Vivian is tired of hearing his old(er) friends complaining about their crow´s feet or how receding hairline makes them stick out when they are among young people.

The reason is that you were talking about her friends, so we could think of a mix - men and women/boys and girls. And even if we think in terms of "only girls" (for example) would be "them" since it´s a plural thing.
"Them" it´s used also when we can´t or don´t specify which gender, grammatically speaking, it´s a neutral word. So, it would mean the above said mix.
PPAULO 6 49 1.3k
As for "stick out", yes it would mean "sobressair", but I have seen it usually in a positive sense (or almost) more than that in a negative one.

Maybe one alternative to it would be change that part to "how receding hairline accentuate the contrast between them and the young people". But I am not being definite on that one, others may chime in and offer new wordings.
Anyway, I am not ruling out that "how receding hairline makes them stick out when they are among young people." could be seen in a "negative light" as well, from "their" p.o.v. Perhaps.
I just think it´s a wording that may or may not be in a negative sense, they could stick out (for example) with their receding hairlines because they have more maturity, experience. So, it won´t always have to mean a bad trait. Just a thought here. All in all, your writing was very good.
Let´s wait for more comments.
PPAULO Thanks a lot for your help!!
PPAULO 6 49 1.3k
You are most welcome! Excuse me for my tardiness with the answer.
Glad that it was of help.