They’ll take you "prisoner" x "as a prisoner"

No texto abaixo (em formato de peça teatral), senti falta de "as a" na frase "They'll take you prisoner", que acredito que significa "Eles irão te levar como (um) prisioneiro". Essa omissão de "as a" é facultativa? Adicionar esse detalhe mudaria o sentido da frase?

[Somebody knocks at the door.]
FRIAR [afraid]: Get up. There's somebody at the door. Hide yourself, Romeo.
ROMEO: No. Why?
[The knocking gets louder]
FRIAR [to the person at the door]: Who's there? [trying to pull Romeo up] Romeo, get up. They'll take you prisoner. [to the person at the door] Wait! [to Romeo] Get up! [more knocking] Go and hide in my office.
"

Shakespeare, W. Romeo and Juliet. Penguin Readers Level 3. Pearson Education, 2008, p.30

TESTE DE NÍVEL
Faça um teste de inglês e descubra seu nível em 10 minutos! Este teste foi desenvolvido por professores experientes. O resultado sai na hora e com gabarito. INICIAR TESTE
1 resposta
PPAULO 6 49 1.3k
Both are okay. I personally would think of "...take you prisoner" in a more general way, and "...as a prisoner" as more specific (think of prisoner of war, for example). Anyway, I think you wouldn´t be sued for using them interchangeably.
The Cambrigde dictionary on the entry "give" and subentry "give yourself up" goes: to allow the police or an enemy to take you as a prisoner. And now Penguin Readers with "...take you prisoner".
And many Internet sites in both camps, so you are in good company if you use either one or the other form.