Como dizer "Se eu for presidente" em inglês

Eu vi um indivíduo falar a seguinte frase "If I will go to be president", querendo dizer "Se eu for presidente", isto é, "Se eu ganhar as eleições".

Queria saber se a frase está correta ou se o correto não seria "If I am president". E também gostaria qual o nome desse tempo verbal.

POWER QUESTIONS
O professor das celebridades Daniel Bonatti ensina várias técnicas para você ter conversas melhores mesmo com conhecimentos básicos de inglês. Com as power questions você vai aprender a direcionar a conversa para onde quiser e com isso alcançar seus objetivos na comunicação. ACESSAR AULA
1 resposta
PPAULO 6 49 1.3k
A- Well, to candidates in an electoral campaign:

If I am the president I will pave the road to the moon.

When I am president, I will work to ensure that all of our kids are treated equally and protected equally. Every action I take, I will ask myself, 'Does this make life better for young Americans in Baltimore, Chicago, Detroit, Ferguson, who have as much of a right to live out their dreams as any other child America?'
Read more at: brainyquote

If I am the president is used by candidates, they may be voted or not but they are saying that "as if they are".

B - As for people saying that in a general way, say - thinking of that as a remote or (almost) impossible thing, they will use the conditional "if I were..."

If I were president I would strive to accomplish these three major things. First, I would strengthen our educational system, second, I would make certain that everyone has equal and fair treatment in our society, and lastly, I would secure our borders.

If I were president, I would also make sure that everyone in this country was treated equal and fair. 

The later examples (item B) were taken from a student essay on the Web.