..how glad I was that it hadn't been eaten. - Tradução em português

"I can't describe how glad I was that it hadn't been eaten."

Minha tradução: "Eu não consigo descrever o quanto fiquei feliz por ela não ter sido devorada."

A dúvida não está na tradução da frase, em si, mas sim no uso de it, em vez de she.

Durante todo o livro, o personagem chama a mulher de she, quando fala dela utilizando pronome, mas apenas nessa frase do livro ele usa it ao se referir a ela. Então, será que minha tradução não está sendo totalmente fiel a frase em inglês? Estaria o uso do it, em vez do she, mudando a mensagem pretendida?

Para análise, segue o texto original, publicado por outra editora. Nele, o it também foi especialmente usado: I cannot describe how it relieved me to think that it had escaped the awful fate to which it seemed destined.

Informação importante para contextualização: a mulher tinha morrido em meio a um incêndio, e isso deixou o personagem narrador relativamente feliz porque se não fosse por essa tragédia, ela seria devorada viva por criaturas do local.

Fonte:
WELLS, H.G. The Time Machine. Penguin Readers Level 4. Pearson Education, 2008, p. 56.

POWER QUESTIONS
O professor das celebridades Daniel Bonatti ensina várias técnicas para você ter conversas melhores mesmo com conhecimentos básicos de inglês. Com as power questions você vai aprender a direcionar a conversa para onde quiser e com isso alcançar seus objetivos na comunicação. ACESSAR AULA
1 resposta
PPAULO 6 49 1.3k
Well, I have two theories. Weena was of two post-human races existing in Mor. So, perhaps he didn't thought of her as a person (as he was) when he wrote, at certain times.

Theory #2 is that, somehow he tried had was very attached to her emotionally, and now as a way to suffer less from his loss (or at least try it) he distance himself from the pain and emotions. At least psychologically he seeks some neutrality from the words.

But it's a hunch here. Sometimes "it" can replace a pronoun/subject when we don't know as in the sentence "who is it?' as a way to identify a person (in some kind of situations - e.g. When we are uncertain of who is it.)

Another possibility is that Weena wasn't "anymore", so perhaps at this point it could be used the "it" word (referring to a deceased person). And perhaps it would help to "soften" the (bad) feeling, since he was very emotionally attached to her, as I explained already.

Those are guesses of mine, though.

Ref. timemachine.wikia
Ref. timemachine.wikia

Great question, Albert. That shows that you are really into the reading! Not just just giving it a cursory glance.