Preposição Into: Existem alternativas?

Recentemente eu estava procurando os significados da preposição "into" no dicionário, e um dos significados que encontrei foi:

Used to show a change in state

E como exemplo tinha as seguintes frases:

Can you translate this passage into German?
Cut the cake into pieces.

Porém, se eu fosse montar essas sentenças eu não pensaria em usar "into", usaria outras preposições, ficando assim:

Can you translate this passage to German?
Cut the cake in pieces.

Há algum erro ou diferença usando essas outras preposições?

CENTENAS DE EXPRESSÕES DO INGLÊS
Preparamos um plano de estudos para ajudar você a dominar centenas de palavras e expressões do inglês em tempo recorde. EXPERIMENTE AGORA
1 resposta
  Resposta mais votada
6 49 1.3k
I wouldn´t. Because "into" indicates "change from something into something else", so you translate the language Y into language B (because what you want, in practice, is what you said in another language).
Aaah, gotcha! (I got you - you must say), because I used the "is what you said in another language". But then, I didn´t use the "translate" part (translate would indicate such change). That is "translate into" is a process, as I said the process of making something into something else.

The preposition INTO is used to indicate preposition of movement towards the inside of something: She tiptoed into the baby's room taking care not to wake it up. But I will skip this topic and get back to sentence # 2, here.

Cut the cake into pieces.
You could think there´s a change here, from a whole cake into a n-piece cake. If you cut it into nine pieces you will have a nine-piece cake.

I hope it helps (and that clarifies your question in the process.)