Preposição Into: Existem alternativas?

Recentemente eu estava procurando os significados da preposição "into" no dicionário, e um dos significados que encontrei foi:

Used to show a change in state

E como exemplo tinha as seguintes frases:

Can you translate this passage into German?
Cut the cake into pieces.

Porém, se eu fosse montar essas sentenças eu não pensaria em usar "into", usaria outras preposições, ficando assim:

Can you translate this passage to German?
Cut the cake in pieces.

Há algum erro ou diferença usando essas outras preposições?

TESTE DE VOCABULÁRIO
Faça um teste e descubra como está seus conhecimentos de vocabulário de inglês em 5 minutos! Este teste foi desenvolvido por professores experientes. O resultado sai na hora e com gabarito. INICIAR TESTE
1 resposta
  Resposta mais votada
6 49 1.3k
I wouldn´t. Because "into" indicates "change from something into something else", so you translate the language Y into language B (because what you want, in practice, is what you said in another language).
Aaah, gotcha! (I got you - you must say), because I used the "is what you said in another language". But then, I didn´t use the "translate" part (translate would indicate such change). That is "translate into" is a process, as I said the process of making something into something else.

The preposition INTO is used to indicate preposition of movement towards the inside of something: She tiptoed into the baby's room taking care not to wake it up. But I will skip this topic and get back to sentence # 2, here.

Cut the cake into pieces.
You could think there´s a change here, from a whole cake into a n-piece cake. If you cut it into nine pieces you will have a nine-piece cake.

I hope it helps (and that clarifies your question in the process.)