To Know: ''She wouldn't like anybody to know.''

She wouldn't like anybody to know, por que usar to antes do know.

COMO COMBINAR PALAVRAS EM INGLÊS
Nesta aula, o professor Denilso de Lima, autor do livro "Combinando Palavras em Inglês", ensina como as collocations (combinações de palavras) podem ajudar você a falar inglês com mais naturalidade. ACESSAR AULA
2 respostas
Ordenar por: Data
PPAULO 6 49 1.3k
https://dictionary.cambridge.org/pt/gra ... r-verb-ing
Hate, like, love, prefer
Hate, like, love and prefer can be followed either by -ing or a to-infinitive. The difference in meaning is often small. The -ing form emphasises the verb itself. The to-infinitive puts the emphasis more on the preference for, or the results of, the action.
How would you like someone screaming at you while you're working "FILE THOSE PAPERS FASTER - RUN FROM THE PARKING LOT INTO THE OFFICE - YOU REALLY NEED ANOTHER BREAK!

I found the above sentence with "would you like" (instead "wouldn´t you like") and "someone" instead of "anyone", but the same principle applies here.
That is, the Cambridge rules applies to both examples of "like":
"She wouldn't like anybody to know." would be with emphasis on the preference for the result being that of nobody knowing it. Or the preference of the action of somebody else not being that of letting others know/anybody know.

Whereas, my example (the one I provided) doesn´t focus on the result, or preference that "I/she/he, ..." for some given result, the emphasis is on the verb, the action itself. On something that happens (or it could happen in general). In this case, it takes a gerund form.
PPAULO 6 49 1.3k
One more example:
The hysterical woman wouldn't stop shouting, “Jesus!

See? That doesn´t preference for a result, in a way the result is there already! So the emphasis is on the verb, the action of shouting.

I really don't like people yelling at me, even if they are of higher authority. It makes me heavily upset.
Again, the gerund. The emphasis on the verb, something that may happen. It´s a given (general) example.

I would like to yell at her for so much turmoil. But I can't.
(it´s a preference of mine, something that I would like it happened, the focus is on the wished result/action). It´s also not a general example or something.

The concepts are quite interesting, more so because there is also a set of other rules about infinitive vs gerund. One leads some time to have the command of such minutes of the English language. I would be included here! At least we improve by the day! ;-)