Usar o Simple Present para falar sobre habilidades em inglês

Há alguns dias, estudando sobre o modal CAN expressando ability, em sala de aula, um dos meus alunos me perguntou se era possível expressar habilidades pessoais a partir de enunciados no Simple Present (Presente Simples) em vez de usar estruturas com o can. Eu disse que era possível sim a construção do enunciado (que segue a ordem lógica da língua), mas que não tinha tanta certeza quanto ao uso dessas estruturas no dia a dia.

O que vocês podem me dizer a respeito disso? É possível fazer uma inferência sobre habilidade a partir desses enunciados?

E.g.: Can Brittany tell good jokes? -> Does Brittany tell good jokes?

Thank you in advance!

APRESENTAÇÃO PESSOAL EM INGLÊS
Nesta aula, a professora Camila Oliveira ensina como você deve se preparar para fazer uma apresentação pessoal profissional em inglês. O conteúdo dessa aula ajudará você a aproveitar melhor as oportunidades no ambiente corporativo. ACESSAR AULA
3 respostas
Ordenar por: Data
  Resposta mais votada
6 49 1.3k
I think those could be understood both as to ability as personal (sometimes innate) ability.

"I know that the lad can draw pictures wonderfully well," he said.

"I am the only man in the world who can paint a picture so true to life," he said.

"Oz can do some good tricks, humbug or no humbug," announced Zeb, who was now feeling more at ease.

One can make out something of what he is saying.

Where every Da Vinci can paint his Mona Lisa and every Dante can write his Inferno.

"I refuse to be free," cried the kitten, in a sharp voice, "unless the Wizard cand o his trick with eight piglets.

he can charm the birds out of the trees

She can sell ice to eskimos. (she is capable of, but she also may have it as an innate personal ability - an inner thing).

So, "Can Brittany tell good jokes?" is acceptable as well.

"Does Brittany tell good jokes?" would be a question in a more general way, to my thinking. With "can" you are exactly focusing on some special ability, to my thinking. It reminds me of my last two sentences, which denotes a very talented person (OR with a special - and natural -talent, if you wish).
CENTENAS DE EXPRESSÕES DO INGLÊS
Preparamos um plano de estudos para ajudar você a dominar centenas de palavras e expressões do inglês em tempo recorde. EXPERIMENTE AGORA
Thank you, PPAULO!
6 49 1.3k
Feel free to come for more, I am glad that it helped you out somehow. Good luck with your studies. ;-)