Como dizer "Sei que isto está a soar mal" em inglês

Olá a todos!

Não sei se é comum no Brasil, mas em Portugal quando estamos a falar com alguém e o que estamos a dizer não soa bem, por vezes dizemos

"Isto está soar mal", como quem diz que não está a sair bem ou parece outra coisa.

Eu procurei e não encontrei muita coisa. Algumas traduções como
"It came out wrong" "It sounded bad" são todas relacionadas com o passado ou presente.

Imagino que "This is coming out wrong" não seja muito natural.

Mas eu quero algo no gerúndio parecido com "This is not sounding good".

Alguém sabe se há alguma tradução?

Obrig!

TESTE DE NÍVEL
Faça um teste de inglês e descubra seu nível em 10 minutos! Este teste foi desenvolvido por professores experientes. O resultado sai na hora e com gabarito. Você ainda ganha o eBook sobre o Verbo Get em seu e-mail. INICIAR TESTE
3 respostas
Ordenar por: Data
PPAULO 6 49 1.3k
"Isto está soar mal" em português brasileiro seria "isto soa mal" (ou está soando mal - mas esta forma é bem menos usada).

Pois bem "isto soal mal" em inglês seria "there´s something fishy" (about it)
Quando algo soa mal pode ser um sinal de que algo está errado, daí as traduções encontradas anteriormente.

Em outras palavras: there´s something fishy means that there´s something that doesn´t seem right.
Also "there´s something fishy (about it/about something/about that...etc).

Other way: something smells fishy - would also mean that something doesn’t seem right about the situation.
Bryan Philpott 2 22 127
Paulo, based on the idea of "coming out wrong" or "sounding bad", I'm gonna say that smelling fishy is not the right phrase here.

Smelling fishy is more like for a suspicious or dishonest situation, like a scam or something. "To sound bad" or "to come out wrong" indicates that whatever is being said does not conform to common morals or common sense, whether in actual fact or only on the surface.

"This is gonna sound pretty bad, but I really had no idea that what Trump was proposing would affect you that way."

This usually does sound bad, because you would normally expect someone (in the US) to be paying some attention to the national politics of the day, especially if it was a policy issue that would affect some of their friends.

"I hope this doesn't come out wrong, but I've always thought that the South had at least some political legitimacy to their cause in the Civil War."

This could sound very weird/wrong in today's political climate, race-relations being what they are, but the person saying this might have very detailed reasoning behind what they believe, so they preface their introduction with a hope that it doesn't come out wrong, so that people might not get angry/confused right away, and might pause overly reactionary responses until they've at least listened to the idea.

So the suggestion for a literal translation of the title might be: "I know that this is going to/gonna sound bad..."

And one could also use: "This might come out wrong, but...", "I hope this doesn't come out wrong, but...", "I know this is going to/gonna come out wrong, but..."

https://www.google.com/search?q="this+i ... sound+bad"

https://www.google.com/search?&q="This+ ... out+wrong"

https://www.google.com/search?q="I+hope ... out+wrong"
PPAULO 6 49 1.3k
Agreed, "smelling fishy" would be "soar mal" in the sense of someone being suspicious of some scam or that somebody else is up to something.
Indeed, it would be more apt to express in Portuguese this way "tem algo que soa mal nesta história", for instance.

To things in general "this is gonna sound bad/things sound bad, as in:
'Look, I know things sound bad,' Deacon insisted whilst hoping the sound of his voice would calm Helen down.

Whereas the "this might come out wrong" - from what I have read seems like "o que vou falar pode parecer errado (pode ser entendido errado/pode ser entendido de outro jeito/pode ser entendido da forma errada/...posso estar equivocado, errado.)
In other words, somebody could also say "don´t get me wrong" before expressing something, sometimes to state "o que vou dizer pode soar mal" could be
In this sense of "being misunderstood" - "pode pegar mal" (ser mal entendido) would be a better option, though.
http://www.idioms4you.com/complete-idio ... wrong.html

Indeed, there are more than one context for "algo soar mal" up to now, it would depend on the situation.