Swirly - Tradução em português

Jeanny0 1
I'm going to give it a swirly.

POWER QUESTIONS
O professor das celebridades Daniel Bonatti ensina várias técnicas para você ter conversas melhores mesmo com conhecimentos básicos de inglês. Com as power questions você vai aprender a direcionar a conversa para onde quiser e com isso alcançar seus objetivos na comunicação. ACESSAR AULA
6 respostas
Ordenar por: Data
Swarmfire 2 19
Você tem mais contexto? Isso ajudaria a tornar a tradução precisa.
Jeanny0 1
Swarmfire escreveu:Você tem mais contexto? Isso ajudaria a tornar a tradução precisa.
Eu não encontrei muita coisa sobre, mas ao pesquisar essa palavra no YouTube, aparece vídeos de pessoas sendo obrigadas a pôr a cabeça dentro do vaso sanitário.
Swarmfire 2 19
Jeanne, é perfeitamente isso. O significado que você deseja era o mais informal, por isso pedi o contexto, ele ajuda bastante para escolher se deve pesquisar em um Merrian-Webster (formal - pouco informal) ou Urban Dictionary (pouco informal - informalíssimo)
Swirly

The process of sticking someone's head in the toilet and flushing

O agir de segurar a cabeça de alguém dentro da privada e dar descarga
Fonte : https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.urband ... y&amp=true
PPAULO 6 49 1.3k
Swirly - the process of sticking someone's head in the toilet and flushing. (Urban Dict.)

Not my concept of intelligent thing to do, but... Go figure!

Swirl - means 1. To move with a twisting or whirling motion, eddy (the Free Dictionary);
3. To be arranged in a spiral, whorl, or twist.

This is how the flushed water will do, go away like an eddy, in a twisting (swirling) way.
Bryan Philpott 2 22 127
"I'm going to give it a swirly" doesn't make much sense on it's own, because a swirly is something you give to someone, so I'd expect something like "I'm going to give him a swirly".

However, there is another expression this could be playing off of, which is "to give it a whirl", a modification of "to give it a go", which means to try something out for the first time as a sort of experiment.

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/us/dic ... th-a-whirl
MELHORE SUA PRONÚNCIA EM INGLÊS
Nesta aula, o professor Adir Ferreira, autor do livro "A Chave do Aprendizado da Língua Inglesa", nos conta como se tornou um Expert em pronúncia e dá várias dicas para você se comunicar melhor em inglês. ACESSAR AULA
PPAULO 6 49 1.3k
Yup. I think it was used in the sense of "give it a whirl/a try" only that (some) people go beyond that and get into "neologism mode" (or "neogrammar" mode, he hee).

In fact, many people out there don´t heed grammar much, we can see from textese on some sites like the Urban Dictionary and others.
This is an explanation, I am not justifying it, though. Your point comes in handy since we are here to learn English proper (and to the learner know that English use has a reasoning behind it, it´s not at random). ;-)
Thanks for sharing your knowledge and invaluable insights, I have learned a lot from them.