Como dizer "do que" em inglês

renatho 1
Hi you guys

I have a question , How can I say 'do que' in english? Eu prefiro isso 'do que' aquilo.

Look at this example:

Eu prefiro estudar em casa do que no curso.

maybe I can say : 'istead of ' 'I prefer to study at home istead of course' can I say this way?

Well, My main question is, If There are other words to say 'do que' in english, So which are they?

Thank in advance

MELHORE SUA PRONÚNCIA EM INGLÊS
Nesta aula, o professor Adir Ferreira, autor do livro "A Chave do Aprendizado da Língua Inglesa", nos conta como se tornou um Expert em pronúncia e dá várias dicas para você se comunicar melhor em inglês. ACESSAR AULA
3 respostas
Ordenar por: Data
Donay Mendonça 23 127 1.7k
Recomendo:
  • I'd rather study at home than at (the) school. [Eu prefiro estudar em casa do que na escola.]
  • I prefer to study at home rather than in a classroom. [Eu prefiro estudar em casa do que em uma sala de aula.]
Bons estudos.
mili
Here a good explanation for instead of and ...

Rather than vs Instead of

Instead of - suggests that one person, thing or action replaces another. Instead is not used alone as a preposition; we use the two words instead of.
Instead of is not usually followed by an infinitive.

E.g

1). I'll have tea instead of coffee, please.
2). I stayed in bed all day instead of going to work.
3). Amit was invited to the reception, but he was ill, so Akash went instead of him.

Note - Instead (without of) is an adverb. It begins or ends a clause usually.

E.g - She didn't go to Greece after all. Instead , she went to America

Rather than - shows preference. This expression is generally used in 'parallel' structures. E.g - with two nouns, adjectives, adverbs, infinitives or -ing forms.

E.g

1). We ought to invest in machinery rather than buildings.
2). I prefer starting early rather than leaving things to the last minute.

When the main clause has a to - infinitive, rather than is usually followed by an infinitive without to or -ing form.

E.g - I decided to write rather than phone/phoning.
Eu prefiro o carro preto do que o carro azul. I prefer the black car TO the blue car.