A few registers over... - Tradução em português

We now go to the front of the store and see people ready to check out with the items they could find. As they get ready to pay, they present their card again. The cashier looks at the card and then the person and then swipes the card through the machine. The Herald walks over and is somehow able to get one of the cards to show me. I look at it closely. It has the photo of the individual who owns the card. Next to the picture is their address, a series of numbers, a special watermark, and security seals. He turns the card over, and in huge letters I read, “Bearer of this card accepts and will adhere to a National Day of Reverence.” A few registers OVER, I hear a commotion going on. A lady next to us says, "It is one of those people that don’t want to keep God’s day reverent. It’s one of those Saturday people. They are the scourge of the earth. Can’t wait till they can all be done away with." The Herald says, "It is time to go".

TESTE DE NÍVEL
Faça um teste de inglês e descubra seu nível em 10 minutos! Este teste foi desenvolvido por professores experientes. O resultado sai na hora e com gabarito. INICIAR TESTE
2 respostas
Ordenar por: Data
Redseahorse 4 35 574
Entendo que seja ' Após alguns registros '

OVER aqui talvez tenha sido usado como advérbio, cujo significado seria algo como: além, após, depois ou até um determinado momento - (após alguns registros de compras no caixa).
PPAULO 6 49 1.3k
I understand he meant "algumas caixa à frente/alguns caixas à frente" (que na verdade seria mais à esquerda ou à direita de quem está falando).
Register would be short for "cash register" (now closer to Portuguese, as we know and call in Brazilian places). Indeed, the "over" seems like having a ring of "próximas".

From an advertisement =>
...XY cash register comes with a standard memory capacity of up to 25,000 PLUs (barcodes) - in other words, it’s perfect for businesses carrying several stock lines.
Other features available in this model include; a 16 character LCD display, a tilt operator display for easy viewing, a thermal printer with drop and load paper, a large ten compartment cash drawer, three ports for connection to other devices such as PCs, register-to-register communication capability and optional memory cassette back up. It also ships with an integrated barcode scanner.