Give midnight a run for its money - Tradução em português

Hi, guys.
I was reading a book's review and I found this expression. Do you know what it mean?
"Give midnight a run for its money"
The sentence is "The color of his hair gave midnight a run for its money, with eyes to match."
Then I looked for another example and I found it: "He was a very good actor and could have given any professional a run for his money."

Thanks! :D

MELHORE SUA PRONÚNCIA EM INGLÊS
Nesta aula, o professor Adir Ferreira, autor do livro "A Chave do Aprendizado da Língua Inglesa", nos conta como se tornou um Expert em pronúncia e dá várias dicas para você se comunicar melhor em inglês. ACESSAR AULA
4 respostas
Ordenar por: Data
  Resposta mais votada
6 49 1.3k
My tack on it.
A cor do seu cabelo dava motivo para os outros (no mesmo nível de competição, por mulheres, dinheiro, carros, um papel de ator em filmes, pelo estrelato etc), com olhos igualmente atrativos.

A cor do seu cabelo era um diferencial, e o seu cabelo não deixava nada dever (o se cabelo não ficava pra trás, sentido figurado).

http://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/giv ... +for+money

give you a run for your money
to be as good at something as someone who is known to be extremely good He was a very good actor and could have given any professional a run for his money.

give somebody a run for their money
to compete very strongly against someone who is expected to win a competition I think only Liverpool will be able to give Manchester United a run for their money next season.

============================
I think the imagery is that if the rival star/people etc is beautiful/good etc, you have to run for the money (your money) and spend it with beauty products or to hire someone that will help you hone/sharp your skills. You don´t want to be left behind, do ya?

With "midnight" involved, you need desperately do so. It gives emphasis to the fact you can´t let wait for tomorrow, it´s now (the soonest)!
INGLÊS PARA VIAGENS
A professora Marcela Miranda, mais conhecida como a Tia do Inglês, ensina nesta aula introdutória o vocabulário básico de inglês para viagens. Está se preparando para sua próxima viagem? A sua jornada começa aqui! ACESSAR AULA
6 77
midnight-colored hair/eyes = cabelo/olhos cor da noite

The color of his hair - just like his eyes ("with eyes to match") - was as dark as the night (midnight). Here, "give midnight a run for its money" means that It would be hard to tell the winner if midnight and his hair/eyes entered a competition when it comes to darkness.
Thank you for helping me! :)
6 49 1.3k
midnight-colored hair/eyes = cabelo/olhos cor da noite

Just like mine!
Except that is like a midnight with that full moon, that is, silver silver! ha ha ha.

Just kidding around! :D Not so, yet.