Go out of their way - Tradução em português

I have this theory that if one person can go out of their way to show compassion then it will start a chain reaction of the same. - Rachel Scott

Seria 'sair do seu mundinho'?

Thanks in advance ;)

Teste de Nível Faça um teste de inglês e descubra seu nível em 10 minutos! Este teste foi desenvolvido por professores experientes. O resultado sai na hora e com gabarito.

Iniciar o Teste Online!
16 respostas
Thomas 7 60 288
to go to lengths, do more than what is normally expected, do more than commonly require

Her family went out of the way to be nice to me. Her brother picked me up at the airport, her mother prepared a delicious meal, her father put a car at my disposal, and her sisters made me feel very much at home.

While you are in Europe, please try to find a book of short stories in French or Italian. Any author will be fine. Do not make it a priority. Please do not go out of your way.
Thank you, Thomas.
I suck at translations.

Have a nice week.
Thomas 7 60 288
I doubt that very much, Lande.

Small correction. I should have written "to do more than commonly required"
Hello everyone!

Nessa frase:

"They are going very well on their first day at job, They might not go out of their way"

"Eles estao se dando muito bem no primeiro dia de trabalho, provavelmente nao perderam o foco"

See you.
Thomas 7 60 288
What is the source of your sentence, Cassoli?
Anúncio Converse grátis por 15 minutos com um professor e verifique como está o seu nível de inglês. Perder o medo de se comunicar é o primeiro passo para a fluência. Cadastre-se na Cambly e experimente o método sem compromisso.

Iniciar Conversação
haha, trust me, Thomas, I really am. I can understand most of the things I hear or read but if someone asks me 'what does it mean?' I have no idea of what to say, I dunno. It's crazy because I really understand but I can't translate at all. And I asked for this translation because I wanted transalated in order to put on Orkut. haha. [/ - --' Why did I tell you that? You didn't ask!
Sorry
Thomas,

eu criei essa frase.

Look this one:

Even checking two maps we went out of our way going back home.

Mesmo com 2 mapas pra nos guiar erramos o caminho voltando pra casa.

See you
Thomas 7 60 288
Cassoli, in your first example, the idiom doesn't seem to fit. In your second example, "Even checking two maps we went out of our way going back home", the grammar makes perfect sense. However in the sentence the words "we went out of out way" are used to express a very different idea. I'll give an example below, okay?

The original post was: "I have this theory that if one person can go out of their way to show compassion then it will start a chain reaction of the same. - Rachel Scott" In that sentence, "can go out of their way" means "can
go to lengths/do more than what is normally expected/do more than commonly require/etc. to show compassion..."

You are showing a second meaning, a very literal meaning, when you write "...we went out of our way going back home", meaning "...we did not take a direct route going home."

Your English is great. No argument. However, the meaning is quite different.
Thomas 7 60 288
Lande, I think I understand.

I had quite a shock many years ago. While waiting for a bus at Uxmal in the Yucatan Peninsula, I started chatting with a lady. She told me her husband taught Quiché (the language of the Mayas) at a university in Merida. I learned that she was fluent in Quiché too. I asked her to say some simple sentences in Quiché. She had great trouble saying "I am going to Merida. I am going to have fun." (After all these years, I forget what the third sentence was.) My thought was that she was lying to me, that she did not speak Quiché. How could anyone fluent in the language have trouble saying such simple things? A few minutes later, some Mayan Indians came to the bus stop. To my surprise, she initiated with them a long and animated conversation. She seemed perfectly at ease and fluent in the language, but she was unable to translate easily from Spanish to Quiché and back again. Possibly you are like that too. Your English sounds fine when you are thinking in English, but maybe translations are difficult.

I just remembered a Chinese friend who was like that! He had no trouble communicating in English and Cantonese. However, it was difficult for him to tell us how to say things in Chinese.
All right Thomas, if you think so, I do respect your opinion.
Could you tell why my first example doesn't seem to fit?

You say that I show a "very" literal meaning when I write, I don't think this "very", it can be literal but not this very.
Why complicate if we can better our comprehension by unraveling it?

If Brasilians copied americans many years ago, I do differently, I use my fluency in portuguese
to write in english and sometimes vice versa.

Your English is great too, however, you went out of the easy way to explain it.
Anúncio Converse grátis por 15 minutos com um professor e verifique como está o seu nível de inglês. Perder o medo de se comunicar é o primeiro passo para a fluência. Cadastre-se na Cambly e experimente o método sem compromisso.

Iniciar Conversação
why the first exemple of mine doesn't seem to fit Thomas?
Anyway we are friends and I really like this chat =]
Thomas 7 60 288
Cassoli:

"They are going very well on their first day at job, They might not go out of their way"

"To go out of their way" has at least two basic meanings; one is literal and one is figurative.

(1) In the literal meaning, it means "to follow a route/street/path/trail/road/highway that is much longer, and complex than the shorter, more efficient route.

You meet two girls from Recife who are at a party in Sampa. The most efficient way to go to Recife from Sampa is take a plane directly from Sampa to Recife. If they decide to take a plane first to Porto Alegre, then to Belém, then to Salvador, then to Belô, then to Foz, then to Recife, "they are going out of their way". They are not following the most efficient, shortest route.

You meet a girl at a party in Los Angeles. She asks if it "would be out of your way" if you took her home, adding that she lives in New York City. If you live in San Francisco, would it "be out of your way"? Of course! It would not be the most efficient, shortest route from Los Angeles to San Francisco.

(2) In the figurative meaning, "to go out of their way" means to do more than is required, expected, necessary, etc.

I ask if I can spend the night in your Copacabana apartment. You invite me for a week, introduce me to three movie stars, arrange a date for me with Larissa Riquelme, give me tickets to a concert, lend me your car, and fill your refrigerator with steak and beer. You "have gone out of your way" to make me comfortable in Rio.

The boss asks you to fix his chair. You fix his chair, repair his door, paint his office, marry his secretary, and wash his car. You "have gone out of your way".

In the original post, a question was asked about the figurative meaning of the idiomatic expression. In your example, "They might not go out of their way" simply does not fit. Regardless of whether the figurative or literal meaning was intended, it does not have anything to do with the first sentence. This is my opinion, and I am often wrong.
My God! You saved my life now! I was going nuts about this, because in order to test my English my mom covers the legends on tv and movies and keeps asking me what is the person saying and I tell her I know what he is saying but I can't translate, only the literal things, of course, and she doesn't believe me.
You made my day.
Thanks for the help.
Flavia.lm 1 10 95
Hey, your mother has good tactics to make you practice your English!

Iniciar Conversação
Hahaha, I take comfort from that, Flavia.

Thank you, Thomas. y.Y

CYL
Ainda precisa de ajuda? Confira algumas opções:
  1. Clique no botão "Responder" (abaixo) e faça sua pergunta sobre este assunto;
  2. Faça uma nova pergunta;
  3. Converse grátis com um professor nativo por 15 minutos: Saiba como!