Have the stones to - Tradução em português

Flavia.lm 1 10 96
Li num site onde foi disponibilizado um material gratuito e tinha um monte de gente reclamando…

“Do people seriously have the stones to complain about something that is provided free of charge?”

Pesquisando a respeito:

have the stones to = have the galls to = have the guts to = have courage to

Acredito que possamos acrescentar ainda que have the stones to = to dare

“Do people seriously have the stones to complain about something that is provided free of charge?!”

As pessoas realmente ousam/têm coragem de reclamar de algo que é disponibilizado de graça?!

TESTE DE VOCABULÁRIO
Faça um teste e descubra como está seus conhecimentos de vocabulário de inglês em 5 minutos! Este teste foi desenvolvido por professores experientes. O resultado sai na hora e com gabarito. INICIAR TESTE
5 respostas
Donay Mendonça 23 108 1.6k
Sim, a dedução está correta e precisa. Não há nada a acrescentar. Um post/dica, na verdade, sobre "have the stones to".

Good job, Flávia.
Henry Cunha 3 18 184
I think Flávia meant "have the balls". In this context these are countable and usually come in pairs; gall (audácia) is uncountable.
Flavia.lm 1 10 96
Hi Henry

Acabei de encontrar "have the balls to" também.
Mas onde eu tinha visto antes, era "have the galls to". Parece menos usado (ocorrências Google), mas também existe. Encontrei ainda um comentário em outro fórum, dizendo que ... "I imagine this use of 'stones' is for 'guts,' 'nerve,' or 'gall.' Am I right? Is this a derivative of 'gall' through 'gallstone'" :roll:
Henry Cunha 3 18 184
Ok, check this out: https://books.google.com/ngrams/graph?c ... es%3B%2Cc0

"Have the gall", meaning the audacity, is standard English. Not in the sense of "intrepid," but of "impudent." This is acceptable English at practically any level.

"Have the balls" and "have the stones" are near-slangs, with a clear reference to testicles, and to "courage", or "daring". "Gutsy" and "ballsy" are related in meaning. This is not English suitable for every level, but acceptable at informal levels.

"Have the galls" is, from what I see in Google, a confused blend of the two. Many of the entries I read contain other real misadventures in English, so I'm pretty confident it's not an expression to be used. And N-Gram doesn't find it occurring in the literature set, so we can be pretty sure it's a non-starter.
Henry Cunha 3 18 184
One additional note: "have the stones" is not something I see very often, so I wanted some other source for my hunch. See http://www.phrases.org.uk/bulletin_boar ... s/654.html.

So, given the implication in that original sentence that Flávia cited, the better usage would probably have been "have the gall" and not "have the stones".