I am a schizophrenic - Tradução em português

Esse texto é um texto real que peguei em algum fórum ou site na Internet.

Vocab:
Para as expressões não encontradas aqui, você pode utilizar o Lingoes e encontrar a definição em um clique.

ADD = Attention Deficit Dedorder = Distúrbio de Déficit de Atenção.
ADHD = Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Dedorder = Transtorno de Déficit de Atenção com Hiperatividade.
An empty seat = um lugar vazio.
As real as = tão real quanto.
At least = pelo menos.
Biking = andar de bicicleta.
Come back = voltar.
Comma = vírgula.
Concentrate on the class = concentrar na aula.
Cool = descolado, maneiro.
Fight = brigar.
Fix this sentence = consertar essa frase/sentença.
Flip through = folhear.
Get nervous = ficar nervoso.
Hang out = dar uma saída.
Hang together = estamos juntos.
He's about my age = tem por volta de minha idade.
I don't care = eu não ligo.
I feel bad for him = me sinto mal por ele.
Just fine = numa boa.
Lonely = solitário.
Meteo = meteorologia.
Most = a maioria.
Next to me = do meu lado.
Passenger seat = banco do passageiro.
Running = corrida.
Sit upfront = sentar na frente.
Take his medication = tomar sua medicação.
Theoretically = teoricamente.
Told him back = respondi falando pra ele.
Weird = esquisito.
When I was on medication = quando estava sob medicação.

I am a 24-years-old, clinically diagnosed schizophrenic, who has chosen not to take his medication.

I have tried three different medication in variable doses. I have tried sport, yoga, running, biking and about every single focusing system in the universe. My symptoms are comparable to those of ADD/ADHD. My doctor have suggested taking more medication, but was afraid of more secondary effects. And then I would have had to take another medication?

To be totally honest, there is one more reason I like it as it is. I'm lonely. I have a friend. I have never told to anyone before, except my doctor, my mom and my brother.

When I was on medication, I was very, very lonely. I live alone and while I go to school, I have very few friends. I guess I'm just that weird guy. Or at least that's what I think, although I do not look crazy/anything. I think I could hang out with members of this forum just fine.

Now, I don't know how to tell this, so here I go: I have an imaginary friend. Who I know is not real, but I don't care. Someone that would "disappear" when I would take my medication and come back when I stopped taking them, telling me to "never take them again". His name is Joshua and he's about my age. He's my best friend and we hang together all the time.

When I'm driving, I am not alone: Joshua is here, in the passenger seat. He tells me a joke on meteo and curiously it's a joke I never heard before. When I'm eating, when I'm walking, there is always someone with me. Right now, he's next to me, talking to me, telling me to fix this sentence, or add a comma. I tell him to give me a second to finish writing and he just agrees and flip through my book.

When I go to school, I sit upfront and make sure I sit next to an empty seat. I want to make sure Joshua has a place to sit. If he doesn't, I get nervous and I can't concentrate on the class. I feel bad for him. Most students don't know I'm schizophrenic. Sometimes, one will sit next to me and I will just move to another place. Typically, people feel bad, but I just want a seat for Joshua.

When I open a beer, I open another for him. We drink together. I take marijuana. Theoretically I should not, but I like it. When I smoke, he always smoke with me.

He is as real as any person I see. To be honest, now that I'm aware of my illness, it just seems so stupid. But at first I did not know he was not real. He is my best friend. One thing: he has helped me in an exam where I did not know the answer. I told him back it was cheating and the entire class looked at me. I felt embarrassed.

Once he tried to make me fight some guy. But I did not do it. One thing about Joshua is that he absolutely hates when I talk to women. That's the one thing I dislike but it's not a big thing.

Joshua is a nice person, a very cool person.

With medication, I would feel lonely. Lonely, tired and frustrated of not being able to do anything. There was just silence. But now he is always with me. I have never shared this with strangers. My doctor was opposed to me stopping taking medication.

COMO COMBINAR PALAVRAS EM INGLÊS
Nesta aula, o professor Denilso de Lima, autor do livro "Combinando Palavras em Inglês", ensina como as collocations (combinações de palavras) podem ajudar você a falar inglês com mais naturalidade. ACESSAR AULA
6 respostas
Thomas 7 61 290
Very interesting. Many of the expressions (and the choice of the name "Joshua") are seemingly of a native speaker, but there are also errors that indicate that English is his second language, not first.

For ten years, one of my best friends suffered from the same ailment. Leo and my brother were of the same age, and as young men of about 21 were in the same naval hospital at the same time (Leo as a "corpsman" or nurse, and my brother as a patient). Without a doubt, I identified Leo with my brother. In a way, anything I did for Leo I was also doing for my brother. Some people were afraid of him, but he was a very sweet man. He had been violent at times in his younger years, but not as an older man. He talked to trees, saw Indians hiding in the forest, heard voices telling him to do things, etc. He had been normal until about the age of 25 when suddenly his mind was destroyed. For the rest of his life, mentally he was about four or five years old. Just as in the text above, he knew that he was ill. He told me more than once, "It's hell to be nuts."

His father had abandoned him and his mother when Leo was an infant. His first stepfather had disappeared when Leo was about ten. His last stepfather despised him, but it was Leo who had cared for him as he came to the end of his life in a sick bed. Leo's mother cared for him. His mom was very strict and domineering. Leo was over six feet tall. Mary was probably five feet two inches tall, and maybe she weighed 100 pounds. He was afraid of her but loved her very much. She forbade him to smoke or drink. She died about 2003. I think she was 94-95 at the time of her death, and he about 72. For a few years, a friend of his mother's took care of him, but now he is in an Veterans Administration hospital. His mother would not have wanted it, but that is where he is. Our friendship gave me an entirely different outlook on mental illness. He did not want his problem, but he had it.

We were neighbors. I would take him to see animated features at the cinema (he could not understand a regular move, of course), go shopping together, run errands for his mother, take him to the Veterans Administration for treatments, etc. He remembered clearly his youth, but his recent memory was almost non-existent. We talked and talked. His elderly mother loved our friendship; it gave her a few moments alone.

What had happened to him? He had served in the US Navy, completed college, and was working in a mental hospital. One night he was found unconscious on the floor. When he came to, mentally he was close to a vegetable, unable to read or write, and unable to converse normally. My theory is that he or someone else administered an extremely strong dose of medication, and it fried his brains. Who would do such a thing? And why? Had it been a practical joke, an experiment, an accident? Was the hospital at fault? What else could explain such a drastic change in his mental health? He became a patient in the SAME HOSPITAL where he once worked. What a terrible irony.
Obrigado, Thomas, pelo comentário e pelo texto.

Infelizmente, eu não tenho mais o link desses textos - à medida que vou encontrando textos curiosos, coloco no celular (Mobipocket) pra ler quando tiver oportunidade, num ônibus, numa sala de espera, num vaso inclinado :D , são esses que tou usando - fica difícil saber de onde o cara é de fato.

Eu não me dei conta da possibilidade de não ser nativo. Já percebo bem quando são Indianos que escrevem pois tem um estilo bem formal mesmo quando são informais, tirando isso...

Vou esperar achar textos novos e com fonte pra eu pesquisar e ter certeza de que o autor é nativo.

Thomas, esse relato é seu ou você pegou em algum lugar? Sofro de toxoplasmose e quando soube que o protozoário toxoplasma gondii causa imprudência (e acredita-se que grande quantidade dos acidentes com moto sejam causados por esse protozoário) e esquizofrenia, fui ler a respeito mesmo não tendo moto nem algum amiguinho imaginário... ainda. :shock:
Thomas 7 61 290
Dude, my story is true. Around 1994, I went to live in a very small community in the San Bernardino Mountains, just north of the city of San Bernardino, California. Leo and his mother, Mary, had lived there off and on since 1943. The three of us often had lunch or dinner together. When Leo had a medical appointment, I would take them to the hospital in Redlands. He is now a full time patient there. I soon discovered that if I questioned Leo about his past, he often gave very clear and detailed answers. He was about 25 when he became ill. He could not talk coherently about things after that age. Mary said I was the only person who would talk with him and encourage him to talk. Listening to us, Mary said, she learned things about Leo she did not know.

Leo never mentioned invisible/imaginary friends. However, he would hear voices that told him to do things. The voices often called him vulgar names. As a young man, he was quite strong. And when he was young, he could be violent. Mary, for example, once found him digging a hole. When she asked what it was for, he told her he was going to kill her and bury her in the hole. As the years passed, he became a gentle giant. He was very devoted to his mother, but I do not recall her death having an effect upon him. Although he only lived about 100 meters from me, I learned of her death probably three or four days after she had died. I found it odd he had not telephoned or come to see me. For the months preceding her death, a friend of Mary's was staying with them. Mary's health had been failing, and she was becoming quite senile. After I left the mountains, I heard that Leo had moved into this friend's home. It is just a guess, but my hunch is that she tired of taking care of him and placed him in the hospital where he is today.

Something else I remember is that he did not like changes, new things. He enjoyed going to the movies with me, but it was a mistake to invite him early. If, for example, I invited him on Monday to go see a film on Saturday, it was guaranteed that on Saturday a few minutes before the movie he would tell me he had changed his mind, that he did not want to go. I learned to tell Mary of my plans, wait until the last minute, and then invite him. We would see a movie (cartoons and animated features were best), and have lunch or go grocery shopping for Mary.

Local people knew him, and I never heard a negative thing said about him. If we were in another city, some people would act frightened when they realized he was ill.

By coincidence, a friend of mine sees him often. She is a widow, and in her free time she is a volunteer at the same hospital where he now lives. He's not sure who "Dale Thomas" is, but he really liked a T-shirt I sent a few months ago. His greatest joy is smoking. Mary would not let him smoke, and now he smokes like a chimney, but he must go outside the hospital into a patio to smoke.

Again, Leo and my brother were of the same age and probably saw one another at the same naval hospital many years ago. What happened to Leo, could have happened to my brother or anyone else. Leo taught me tolerance.
Muito bonita a sua experiência e muito rara também.

Em geral, qualquer pessoa com algum tipo de característica incomum não é aceita pelas demais, você ter uma amizade com alguém com tantos problemas revela que a sua mente é bem ampla pra acolher o diferente, coisa cada vez mais rara no mundo.
Thomas 7 61 290
You are kind, Dude. I really liked Leo. I doubt that he remembers my name today, but I remember his. That is what is important, right?
CURSO DE PRONÚNCIA
Domine todos os sons do inglês com o nosso novo curso de pronúncia. O professor Adir Ferreira, referência no ensino de pronúncia, criou este curso especialmente para o English Experts. INICIAR AGORA
Marcio_Farias 1 24 213
Thomas, nice story. That goes to show you really care for (and after) other people... when everybody else finds it hard to. That algo goes to prove you have a really nice heart.