Land grab acquisition - Tradução em português

SAP makes a land grab acquisition with Sybase at $5.8 billion.

APRESENTAÇÃO PESSOAL EM INGLÊS
Nesta aula, a professora Camila Oliveira ensina como você deve se preparar para fazer uma apresentação pessoal profissional em inglês. O conteúdo dessa aula ajudará você a aproveitar melhor as oportunidades no ambiente corporativo. ACESSAR AULA
10 respostas
Ordenar por: Data
  Resposta mais votada
6 49 1.3k
SAP SE (Systems, Applications & Products in Data Processing) is a German multinational corporation headquartered in Walldorf, Baden-Württemberg, Germany.
Ref. en.wikipedia

With regional offices in several countries.

Sybase - cloud computing corporation (in ascension) with a big market.
===============

SAP makes a land grab acquisition with Sybase at $5.8 billion.

SAP faz aquisição de grande porte, comprando a Sybase por US$ 5,8 bilhões.

Ref. jornalggn.com

==============
Land grabbing is a serious issue in some countries these days.
To illustrate that, say, a developed country has a corporation a farm with mechanized agriculture, computerized storing, etc. Then this corporation decide to buy a big swath of land in a little village where farmers can't compete, so it will have low wage workers, resources, market, even some local government help. The corporation may even buy land to sell for a higher price afterwards, inflating land prices to a point the local can't afford.
This way, there's an increasing awareness of such deals, and there's new regulations being made to balance things.

The "land-grabbing" involving the above deal (the one involving SAP and Sybase) might be an analogy with the "big money" corporations and the huge chunks of market. Indeed, rumour has it that the deal SAP-Sybase suggests that it was to prevent Oracle of buying Sybase and getting all market, both in the States and Europe (where Sybase is) and would be a step to get in their backyard (India, China...etc). Looks like a land-grabbing or not?
AMPLIANDO O VOCABULÁRIO
Isa Mara Lando é uma referência entre os profissionais de tradução. Ela já traduziu mais de 100 livros, entre eles estão obras de autores aclamados, como: George Orwell, Salman Rushdie e Walter Isaacson (a biografia de Einstein). Nesta aula gratuita, Isa dá várias dicas de vocabulário. ACESSAR AULA
3 10 50
Um pouco difícil de traduzir...a frase inteira seria algo do tipo.

São Paulo toma terras com a Sybase (uma empresa) no valor de $5,8 bilhões.

Este toma tem um sentido de que foi utilizado o poder do Estado para que a terra fosse adquirida.
9 55
Também quero participar:

Land grab: terra apropriada, açambarcamento de terra, desapropriação de terra.Acho que há mais traduções possíveis. No entanto, escolhi essas para exemplificar.

Na sua frase a melhor opção é:
SAP faz uma aquisição de terras apropriadas com a Sybase por 5,8 bilhões.

Ref. envolverde.com

Por favor, me corrijam se eu escrevi algo errado. ;)
Valeu Paulo, é dificil mesmo chegar no entendimento.

Tinha pensado numa analogia do tipo "avanço de terreno" (ocupar uma fatia maior do mercado) , já que as 2 empresas eram concorrentes atuando no mesmo segmento
3 10 50
You are right Paulo, I saw SAP and read SP.
TESTE DE VOCABULÁRIO
Faça um teste e descubra como está seus conhecimentos de vocabulário de inglês em 5 minutos! Este teste foi desenvolvido por professores experientes. O resultado sai na hora e com gabarito. INICIAR TESTE
6 49 1.3k
It´s teamwork, everyone makes mistakes when in haste, it happens to me all the time. By the way, you have always been an excelent contributor, with plenty of insights, one of the MVPs. ;)
9 55
Nossa! Passei longe de tradução correta. :oops: Tinha me baseado nas seguintes fontes:

Ref. context.reverso
Ref. spiegel

Não tinha ideia que SAP era sigla de uma empresa.

Paulo, muito obrigada pela explicação. Também gostaria de parabenizar o Henry pelas contribuições aqui no fórum.

Paguei um mico. I made a fool of myself. Mas que foi engraçado foi, não é? ;)

Desculpa aí pessoal! :)
6 49 1.3k
Don't sweat the small stuff, and like that book...and it's all small stuff! LOL
Ref. d.gr-assets

I made an erronous assumption here, by not knowing that Camp nou was a stadium, I mistook it for a place, country etc, what a gaffe! but then, Adriano and Telma kindly saved the day, the teamwork brought the apt description/answer at last, it is what ultimately counts.
Cf. Denizens... - Tradução em português

Besides, getting it wrong helps rather than getting it right. Most of the time, indeed.
Well, at least until we get a bit long in the teeth.
Ref. theconversation
Isso é o mesmo que grilagem de terras, algo muito comum ainda no Brasil, ou seja é a aproprição ilegal de terras. O interesse dessa atividade está ligado ao desmatamento até especulação imobiliária.
6 49 1.3k
Hi there, Kingflare. In this case would be a bit different, you are talking about "illegal grab land".

Despite the definition being contentious, I was thinking about the "large-scale land acquisitions" made by companies, mostly transnationals (but sometimes large national ones), being beneficial or hurtful to the locals. I mean, the large scale acquisition itself.
That is, corporations somehow feeling the world, country, or continent as a '"territory" where they want a chunk, like a farmer that thinks if he buy a bigger farm he will dominate the agricultural market, only that is an analogy.

Those companies may or may not be trying to dominate the market by "land grabbing" the small ones (and their clients), but
It would not be illegal, could be unethical (if they meant to kill innovation, to raise prices etc).

Here the definition. But worth noticing that, most of the time, people remember (and cite) the "land grab" to refer to some harmful effect.
Ref. en.wikipedia