Lots of carryover in terms of - Tradução em português

Hi everyone!

I asked in a forum about if regular swimming can provide conditioning for surfers, and the coach answer that:

"Lots of carryover in terms of pulling endurance, lat / tricep strength, stroke consistency, energy system development etc. (In my opinion)"

I dont understand what he means with "lots of carryover".

Does anybody can help me?

Thanks

AMPLIANDO O VOCABULÁRIO
Isa Mara Lando é uma referência entre os profissionais de tradução. Ela já traduziu mais de 100 livros, entre eles estão obras de autores aclamados, como: George Orwell, Salman Rushdie e Walter Isaacson (a biografia de Einstein). Nesta aula gratuita, Isa dá várias dicas de vocabulário. ACESSAR AULA
3 respostas
Ordenar por: Data
PPAULO 6 49 1.3k
''Um monte de bons efeitos" (decorrent de outra modalidade) em termos de...

"Um monte de efeitos decorrentes/transferidos" (adquiridos da outra atividade - da natação) em termos de...

Passa/transfere um monte de coisas (de benefícios), em termos de....

(há/tem/vai ter) "Muito ganho" em termos de...

Eu poderia, de repente ter dado uma palavra ou conceito mais conciso, tipo - eu podia só dizer "é muito benéfico/traz muito benefício em termos de.../ganho etc.

Mas eu quis passar a idéia, a imagem da coisa. Que é "passar/tranferir" (conhecimento/valores/benefícios) de uma atividade, setor, ramo de conhecimento etc, para outra(o)

///////////////////////////////////
Exemplo:

God in the Stadium: Sports and Religion in America (on Google Books)
Indeed, much of our sports vocabulary comes from the military: drills, recruit, draft ... Character training, health and corrective work, "carry-over" values of athletics...

...valores vindos/transferidos da Educação Física e Esportes na vida militar.
...valores aprendidos na Educação Física e Esportes do dia-a-dia na caserna. Etc...

http://nomorequo.blogspot.com.br/2007/0 ... -math.html
My parents are immigrants. From a cultural perspective, they carried over a lot of their cultural hangups with them when they came here.
A common Asian story is that when you bring home a report card with 5 A's and 1 A-, your parents will ask you "Why didn't you get that 6th A?" Then next semester, bring home 6 A's

Viu, acho que o conceito me parece mais valioso que a tradução pura e simples, mas você tem as duas agora.
Muito obrigado PPAULO, estava justamente na dúvida se era algo bom ou ruim rs. Me ajudou muito!
PPAULO 6 49 1.3k
In this case is a good thing. Not always a cultural trait carried over to another place or circumstance is good, sometimes one has to adjust (when in Rome...).
Same goes to knowledge. Sometimes a pilot flies a type of airplane and then instinctively appropriates of the previous modus operandi when learning to fly another kind of plane (mostly at emergency hours), that´s why one needs to accumulate flight hours and training.

But in that case, it´s a good "spillover effect" from one sport modality to the other.

Glad that it helped you out! ;)