Rascals and Scoundrels - Tradução em português

Henry Cunha 3 18 183
I heard the incisive Margaret Atwood this morning on radio characterizing a dear friend this way:

"He was a rascal but not a scoundrel."

It was a neat way to distinguish the essential meaning of the two words. What might be good equivalents in Portuguese?

(Interview at http://www.cbc.ca/thesundayedition/)

TESTE DE NÍVEL Faça um teste de inglês e descubra seu nível em 10 minutos! Este teste foi desenvolvido por professores experientes. O resultado sai na hora e com gabarito. INICIAR TESTE
8 respostas
Henry,

How about "Ele é um sacana, mas não é um canalha"?

I couldn't open the link you provided... So, I don't know the context... I'm just guessing. :lol:
Carls 2 75
contribuição:

Ele foi um malandro mas não um canalha
PPAULO 6 48 1.1k
Good definitions of yours. These ones reminded me of Prince William first interview after his son´s birth, he gushed "he is a little bit of a rascal. I´ll put this way." :lol:
Mine isn't so good, PPaulo. I didn't pay attention to the fact that it was in the past. :lol:
Henry Cunha 3 18 183
Não sei se alguém mais tentou entrar no site e não conseguiu. I find the CBC site quirky sometimes, especially if the show that they are streaming has been on the radio (or tv) just previously. I had no problems opening that link.

And I don't think regular CBC shows are blocked in Brazil. Some may be because of special rights, I don't know. For example, all of the Confederations Cup games are online here, but someone outside Canada probably can't access them because of FIFA country rights. Try it at http://www.cbc.ca/player/Sports/?page=2 and let me know.
Telma Regina 9 62 593
I can access it easily. By the way, I found it easy to understand her "smooth" way of speaking. Good listening exercise.
I tried it later on my laptop and it opened easily, maybe the problem was because I was on my Ipad.
I tried the link again on my Ipad minutes ago, and it worked. I don't know what did wrong the first time. :)
And I agree with Telma, it is really easy to understand when she speaks. Thanks for sharing!