Riff on - Tradução em português

Faz tempo que eu estou tentando traduzir essa frase sozinha mas não consigo:

"We had riff on the sentence to any other subject that we felt like"...

É a respeito de escola

Desde já agradeço a todos

MELHORE SUA PRONÚNCIA EM INGLÊS
Nesta aula, o professor Adir Ferreira, autor do livro "A Chave do Aprendizado da Língua Inglesa", nos conta como se tornou um Expert em pronúncia e dá várias dicas para você se comunicar melhor em inglês. ACESSAR AULA
12 respostas
Ordenar por: Data
Donay Mendonça 23 127 1.7k
Marinams,

Precisamos de mais contexto onde esta frase foi inserida. Não gostaria de arriscar um palpite, mas sim dar uma resposta precisa, e, para isso, mais contexto ajudaria. Me parece que há algum problema com o termo "riff".

Bons estudos!
Daniel.S 1 2 11
Péssoal:

É incrível como aparacece nesse fórum expressões que nunca vi na minha vida. Riff para mim era algo relacionado a música, como por exemplo frases compostas para guitarras ou outros instrumentos. Ou até mesmo algo do tipo "tocar o refrão".

"We had riff on the sentence to any other subject that we felt like"...

Realmente essa frase está meio estranha p/ mim..

Tocado o refrão (ou seria fazer uma homenagem através disso?)

Fazer uma alusão a algo através de uma melodia? Por exemplo tocar a melodia de uma música com outra letra?
Thomas 7 62 296
Very strange...

What is the context? (As is...what is the complete sentence?) Who said and where? UK? USA? Oz?
Flavia.lm 1 10 100
Verb 1. riff - look through a book or other written material; (The Free Online Dictionary)

:roll:
n.

1. Music. A short rhythmic phrase, especially one that is repeated in improvisation.
2. A clever or inventive commentary or remark: "Those little riffs that had seemed to have such sparkle over drinks ... look all too embarrassing in cold print" (John Richardson).
CENTENAS DE EXPRESSÕES DO INGLÊS
Preparamos um plano de estudos para ajudar você a dominar centenas de palavras e expressões do inglês em tempo recorde. EXPERIMENTE AGORA
Thomas 7 62 296
"To riff on" can mean "to talk about the same thing repeatedly", but the original sentence looks a bit odd to me. Has it been typed correctly? I get the feeling that some words are missing from it. The term has roots in music, of course.
Olha pessoal, eu copiei a frase igualzinha a do livro:

"Every day we'd spend the first fifteen minutes of class writing in a journal. She'd (teacher) put a trigger sentence up on the board, and we were supposed to riff on the sentence to any other subject that we felt like. "

Eu também achei aquele significado de riff como look through, mas mesmo assim a frase fica sem sentido... O que será que a frase quer dizer?
Thomas 7 62 296
I cheated and asked my son, the future physician. He came back with the following"

"and we were supposed to expand on the sentence"
or "and we were supposed to improvise on the sentence"
Daniel.S 1 2 11
criar exemplos utilizando a frase
Thomas 7 62 296
Next summer we plan to go to Ecuador. / trigger sentence

After classes end in June, some friends and I want to travel to Ecuador. I am eager to look for a charango in Otavalo. The arts and crafts around the La Plaza del Poncho area are amazing, and the town has talented luthiers. Wilma is anxious to visit Riobamba, where we can take a six hour ride on a vintage train to The Devil's Nose. For the last few miles the old diesel engine follows tracks that hug the mountainside, giving passengers plenty of thrills. Bill wants to stop in Quito, making a side trip to The Middle of the World. His dream is to have a photo taken showing him with one foot in the Northern Hemisphere and one foot in the Southern. Sally is an architecture major, and she is begging us to spend a few days in Cuenca so that she can see the old colonial structures. Liz wants to hit the beaches around Esmeralda and Salinas. Jack wants to see his kid brother who is taking Spanish classes in Guayaquil. Would you like to tag along?

How's that, Daniel? Did I "riff on" enough for you? LOL
CENTENAS DE EXPRESSÕES DO INGLÊS
Preparamos um plano de estudos para ajudar você a dominar centenas de palavras e expressões do inglês em tempo recorde. EXPERIMENTE AGORA
Acho que significa "referência a", como na frase...The story’s title, “Kid Flash of Two Worlds” is also an obvious riff on Flash #123’s “The Flash of Two Worlds”(O título da história, "Kid Flash of Two Worlds" é uma óbvia referência ao (título da revista de quadrinhos) Flash 123, "The Flash of Two Worlds").
Breckenfeld 3 15 131
Minha sugestão:

Desenvolver um tema a partir da frase apresentada.

Até mais!