Sap - Tradução em português

Estou traduzindo um conto e me deparei com a palavra "sap" e não sei o que significa. As frases são : "I felt for the sap under the bar" e "I showed him the sap" ?

INGLÊS PARA VIAGENS
A professora Marcela Miranda, mais conhecida como a Tia do Inglês, ensina nesta aula introdutória o vocabulário básico de inglês para viagens. Está se preparando para sua próxima viagem? A sua jornada começa aqui! ACESSAR AULA
8 respostas
Ordenar por: Data
Opa.

Essa é meio traiçoeira, hein, amigão?! :-D

Eu traduziria para:

"I procurei pela seiva embaixo do pedaço de madeira" e "Eu mostrei a ele a seiva".

Faz sentido?

Abs!
Seiva como tradução aí não faz sentido, deve ser alguma gíria...
Putz, pena.

Pior que eu dei um google aqui por "sap meaning" e pelo menos os outros significados que achei também não me parecem fazer sentido nas frases que comentou.

- someone who is spilling out their guts about how they feel and such
you can be a sap when you are talking about how you feel about love life etc.

- to make someone weaker or take away strength or an important quality from
someone, especially over a long period of time.

Desculpe não pode ajudar nessa então. Mas eu vou postar essas frases aí num site gringo e, quando alguém responder, eu volto aqui e te falo.

Abs!
Resolvido, amigão:

É um tipo de porrete!

Sap” is a slang term for a bludgeon, especially one intended to knock someone out by a blow to the head, like a blackjack.

Se quiser ver as respostas que recebi, segue o link:

https://www.quora.com/What-does-SAP-mea ... 9786464825

Abs!
Ricardo F. Bernardi 6 26 454
Hello my friends,

ED LIMA, would you mind to tell us about that story (conto) you are translating?
I'd like to know the name of the book and the author.

Follow some possible answers:
_

sap

1) [noun]

(a) seiva;

Ex.: I showed him the sap dripping from the cut into the sugar maple on a cool spring day.
>> Eu lhe mostrei a seiva pingando a partir do corte num bordo-açucareiro em um dia frio de primavera.

Ex.: Vince demonstrates how to obtain fresh water, more precisely, rising sap from trees in spring.
>> Vince demonstra como obter água fresca, mais precisamente, a seiva bruta das árvores na primavera.
Ex.: After last year’s "Beast from the East" one can never be sure, but our crocus bulbs think spring is near and among Perthshire’s birch trees the sap will surely rise soon.

>> Após a última frente fria conhecida como "a Fera do Oriente" ninguém é capaz de prever, mas nossos bulbos de açafrão lembram que a primavera está chegando e entre as bétulas de Perthshire, a seiva certamente brotará logo.

(b) trouxa (AmE) [informal].

Ex.: The poor sap never knew what was going on behind his back.
>> O(A) pobre trouxa nunca soube o que estava acontecendo nos bastidores.
>> O(A) pobre coitado(-a) jamais descobriu o que estava acontecendo por suas costas.

Ex.: I felt for the sap under the bar.
>> Eu tive pena do(-a) trouxa debaixo do balcão [do bar].

(c) SAP - Second Program Audio / Secondary Audio Programming.
>> SAP - Segundo Programa de Áudio.

Ex.: I showed him the SAP button on his remote control.
>> Eu mostrei a ele o botão SAP no controle remoto dele.

Note: Second audio program (SAP), also known as secondary audio programming, is an auxiliary audio channel for analog television that can be broadcast or transmitted both over-the-air and by cable television. Used mostly for audio description or other languages, SAP is part of the multichannel television sound (MTS) standard originally set by the National Television Systems Committee (NTSC) in 1984 in the United States. The NTSC video format and MTS are also used in Canada and Mexico.

(d) Synonym: blackjack (Gambling);
>> Sinônimo: blackjack ou vinte-e-um (Jogos de azar).

Ex.: Bart had a sap in his pocket when they arrested him for possession = Bart had a blackjack in his pocket when they arrested him for possession.
>> Bart tinha um blackjack no bolso quando eles o prenderam por posse.
_

2) [verb]
>> minar.

Ex.: Our energy is being sapped by bureaucrats and politicians.
>> Nossa energia está sendo minada por burocratas e políticos.
_

3) [idioms]

(a) the sap is rising [UK] (humorous) [old expression]
Meaning: an expression used to mean that people start to have more energy and feel more interested in love and sex, for example in spring, or ready to take the relationship to another level.

Antonym: the sap is falling.

Ex.: Look to that Canada Goose. It is a male bird which is making himself as big and fearsome looking for his mate. It is definitely that time of year again. The sap is rising!.
>> Observe aquele ganso-do-Canadá. É um pássaro macho que está se mostrando grande e temível à procura de sua parceira. Sem dúvida, é aquele momento do ano outra vez. O amor está no ar!

REFERENCES:

(1) DOWNEY, Kevin. Networks Set To Launch Video Descriptions. June 13, 2012.
(2) The sap is rising. Basically Tesha, basically living. Blog. April 16, 2019.
(3) BONNEVAY, Emilie. Why does sap rise in spring?. Public Enquiry Office. Woodland Trust. United Kingdom. May 19, 2018.
(4) MCGRAW-HILL. Dictionary of American Slang and Colloquial Expressions. 2016.
TESTE DE NÍVEL
Faça um teste de inglês e descubra seu nível em 10 minutos! Este teste foi desenvolvido por professores experientes. O resultado sai na hora e com gabarito. INICIAR TESTE
O conto é uma science fiction "All You Zombies" de Robert Heinlein de 1958, que originou o filme "O Predestinado". A tradução que, em princípio, achei mais razoável até agora eu vi no Wiktionary e é : (figuratively) Vitality.
Ricardo F. Bernardi 6 26 454
Great job, ED!

Depending on the context of the book, I believe the sentences you presented are more related to the examples (b) and/or (c) that I presented.

Enjoy your studies!

Take care,

Ricardo.
PPAULO 6 49 1.3k
Ricardo has answered it already, but my two cent´s nonetheless.

"I felt for the sap under the bar".
Eu sinto pelo/eu tenho pena do idiota (do trouxa/bobo/bobão/, etc).

Perhaps also meaning both, the guy that "spilled the guts" (contou tudo que sentia, os segredos a quem não devia) and doing that was a foolish thing (trouxa/bobo por fazer isso onde e a quem não devia).

Wordreference has an entry with the meanings of 'sap'.