That of - Tradução em português

What does "that of" in the sentence: " During the inauguration 2 narratives collided: that of the the inauguration ritual that of Donald Trump

AMPLIANDO O VOCABULÁRIO
Isa Mara Lando é uma referência entre os profissionais de tradução. Ela já traduziu mais de 100 livros, entre eles estão obras de autores aclamados, como: George Orwell, Salman Rushdie e Walter Isaacson (a biografia de Einstein). Nesta aula gratuita, Isa dá várias dicas de vocabulário. ACESSAR AULA
2 respostas
Ordenar por: Data
Marcio_Farias 1 24 214
Basicamente, trata-se da maneira de os falantes nativos dizerem "a" ou "aquela(e)". A tradução para o português, porém, vai variar, conforme pode observar mais abaixo.

"Na inauguração duas narrativas se esbarraram (uma na outra): a do ritual da inauguração e a de Donald Trump".

Outros exemplos com "that of":

My work, and that of many others, to improve this legislation further starts now. (... E o de...)
In the social field, as in that of politics, progress gives way to compromise. (...tal como no da...)
It has a layered structure similar to that of an onion. (... Em camadas como as de uma...)

Como você pode ter observado, apesar de "that" estar no singular, o tradutor, habilmente, o traduziu de forma que "coubesse" no nosso idioma.

A propósito, faltou o verbo "mean" seguido de uma interrogação no fim de sua pergunta.
PPAULO 6 49 1.3k
"a de/a do/aquela do..."
02 narratives collided: that of the the inauguration ritual and that of Donald Trump.
A do ritual da investidura no cargo (de presidente) e do Donald Trump.
OR
A do ritual da investidura no cargo e aquela (história/relato = narrative) do Donald Trump.

I filled the gap with "AND" since it leaves helps the reader to understand it better, in case the writer has ommited it.

To me, there are two versions of the event, one official and other that is of Trumps choice, not necessarily agreeing with the actual stuff (or at least not the perception of the reporters.)

Or perhaps the writer sees an interesting mosaic, with different versions of the event. (so he is not biased, just an expectator seeing the events unfold.)
http://www.ldoceonline.com/dictionary/collide
3 if two very different ideas, ways of thinking etc collide, they come together and produce an interesting result.