The skies were still heavy and grey. - Tradução em português

Significa céu fechado? (cheio de nuvens) É comum usarem essa expressão?

Segue contexto: Day came slowly. It stopped snowing, but the skies were still heavy and grey.

TESTE DE NÍVEL
Faça um teste de inglês e descubra seu nível em 10 minutos! Este teste foi desenvolvido por professores experientes. O resultado sai na hora e com gabarito. Você ainda ganha o eBook sobre o Verbo Get em seu e-mail. INICIAR TESTE
4 respostas
Ordenar por: Data
PPAULO 6 49 1.3k
Grey skies and heavy clouds, the end result is a "cielo cerrado" (overcast sky - céu nublado, muito nublado ou céu encoberto).
I mean, the end result, but the expression "heavy and grey" suggests those two features, but you won´t be sued if you translate it into "nublado/fechado" in Portuguese.
PPAULO, não compreendi sua explicação. A princípio você diz que significa céu nublado, depois parece contestar a si mesmo.
PPAULO 6 49 1.3k
But the skies were still heavy and grey.
What I meant is that "the skies were grey skies and with heavy clouds" - céu cinza, escuro, e com nuvens pesadas (ou seja nuvens baixas).

That means that the sky "was overcast" nublado/fechado/encoberto. However, technically being "heavy and grey" is that: céu escuro e com nuvens pesadas.
In practice, they could have the same meaning, but if you want it specific "heavy and grey" explains it better (and more emphatic) than just overcast.
It´s my thinking, though. Others may chime in and elaborate further on the subject.
PPAULO 6 49 1.3k
So, the two descriptions here "céu escuro + nuvens pesadas" = céu encoberto, céu nublado.

Only that 'céu nublado" (cloudy day) sometimes doesn´t necessarily might have heavy clouds and grey skies, see? A cloudy day without being overcast (completamente coberto).

So, there´s some room to intersection on meaning and usage, that´s why I said that you won´t be sued if you use one or the other with the meaning of "nublado/encoberto".
But be aware that one of the definitions of overcast is "cloudy, darkened", which adds some nuance to it.
http://www.thesaurus.com/browse/overcast