The whitening and blackening trees - Tradução em português

A cena ocorre após um incêndio numa floresta:

"But at last, above the dying red of the fire, above the great clouds of black smoke and the whitening and blackening trees, and the decreasing numbers of Morlocks, came the white light of the day."

Fonte: WELLS, H.G. The Time Machine. Penguin Readers Level 4. Pearson Education, 2008.

TESTE DE NÍVEL
Faça um teste de inglês e descubra seu nível em 10 minutos! Este teste foi desenvolvido por professores experientes. O resultado sai na hora e com gabarito. Você ainda ganha o eBook sobre o Verbo Get em seu e-mail. INICIAR TESTE
3 respostas
Ordenar por: Data
I may be wrong, but the descriptive writing of the scene leads me to think that the whitening/blackening are the visual effects caused by the fire burning the trees. If that is right, I'd just translate in a way that could describe the scene similarly and lead the reader to the same thought.

"...acima das grandes nuvens negras de fumaça e do fogo que ascendia e apagava as árvores..."

Everyone please feel free to correct me If I have misinterpreted the sentence.

HP
Henrique, obrigado pela contribuição!

Também acho que a frase foi uma forma de descrever os efeitos visuais causados pelo incêndio; No entanto, não consigo inserir as palavras que traduzam o sentido da frase apresentada. Acho que a sua adaptação fugiu muito do sentido original ("o fogo que ascendia e apagava as árvores").
Oops I made a typo and now I can't edit. "Acendia" is the correct word. I agree with you, Albert. I just can't think of something else.

I hope you find a non-literal translation that better fits the original text!