Tradução de "this is just can be"

Avatar do usuário Charles Bunn 50 1
It seems like that China have owned a great success in its textile and apparel industry. However, this is just can be called the success in manufacture and exportation of garment. Indeed, because of the over reliance on profits generated from manufacturing and exports, Chinese enterprises neglect the merits of building strong brands.

Estou estudando o Present Perfect, queria saber se essa frase é um exemplo e se na tradução seria necessário afirmar ser um fato acabado de acontecer?

Como ficaria essa tradução? Essa frase está correta no inglês?

Obrigado.

Mais Votada Mais Votada

Avatar do usuário PPAULO 36030 4 32 632
I will split your question in two, and answer accordingly.
1) To me where it reads "However, this is just can be called the success in manufacture and exportation of garment.''
Should read "However, this is just WHAT can be called the success in manufacture and exportation of garment." let´s not forget this was an essay, made possibly by Chinese undergraduates, perhaps in haste.

2)Your question looks like too general, not specific, you didn´t let to know if it was about the boldened part, the first sentence or other part of the paragraph, nor if it was the paragraph itself.

So, corollary from 2:

2a) It seems like that China have owned a great success in its textile and apparel industry.
Yeah, present perfect (in Italics and boldened part) it means that China have been succesful at a point in the past and that it (the action of being succesful) extends to the present.

2b) Just to illustrate the point, let´s check the sentence "However, this is just can be called the success in manufacture and exportation of garment."
This is the opinion of the author (as of now, in his essay), so to express facts, habits, opinions, we use the present tense, it´s a case in wich the author means your opinion.

I can see how this puzzled you, it´s because the author mixed the tenses, but this happens. It´s because the author state a fact, something that have been happening (or "it seems", in his own words), then he offer his opinion (something that is happening right now.)
So, the sentences have to be analyzed in a case by case basis.

I hope this helps you a bit.

http://grammar.ccc.commnet.edu/grammar/ ... resent.htm
http://grammar.ccc.commnet.edu/grammar/ ... tm#perfect
MENSAGEM PATROCINADA Você sabe como está o seu nível de inglês? Teste agora GRÁTIS em apenas alguns minutos.

Clique aqui para iniciar o Teste Online!
Avatar do usuário Charles Bunn 50 1
Muito obrigado Paulo. Eu resolvi postar a dúvida pois já tinha lido (em um fórum), mais de uma vez, nativos falarem assim (eram nativos mesmo).

Tinha ficado em dúvida se seria um uso do Present Perfect. Obrigado por esclarecer se tratar do simple present.
Avatar do usuário PPAULO 36030 4 32 632
You are welcome, chummy!