Word up // that was just in - Tradução em português

Could anybody help me with these expressions and words:

I found all of them in a sitcom called: "How I met your mother" ( By the way, I liked a lot )

- Word up
- That was just in
- Vermouth
- What are the odds?
- Everybody wanged and chunged
- Chip in
- Stroll over

Thanks in advance!!

Anúncio Converse grátis por 15 minutos com um professor e verifique como está o seu nível de inglês. Perder o medo de se comunicar é o primeiro passo para a fluência. Cadastre-se na Cambly e experimente o método sem compromisso.

Iniciar Conversação
5 respostas
Donay Mendonça 22 102 1.5k
Olá Ricardo,

That was just in.(Foi exatamente em,no)

Vermouth.(Um tipo de vinho com alto teor alcoólico.)

What are the odds?(Quais são as possibilidades?)

Chip in.(Fazer uma vaquinha)

Stroll over.(Passear)

*O que não foi traduzido requer um contexto maior para interpretação.

;)
Thanks once again Donay!!

I'm going to try to explain you the context of the other expressions:

( Word up )
Everybody was at the table drinking and talking about a girl that one of the guys was trying to get, out of the blue, he stood up and said that he was going to kiss her the next time he met her, and all his friends supported him and they screamed at once: Word up!!!

I understood something like this: Tamo nessa, vamo lá é isso mesmo!!!

( Everybody was wanged and chunged )
And the other expression is " Wanged " and " chunged " I understand them like new words that the speaker is making up, because he has this habit. He is a "neologist"!!

Please, feel free to correct any mistake that I have made and tell me if I'm right in my thoughts about the expressions above!!!

Thanks in advance!!
Hello Ricardo,

1)"Word up" is something like "we agree","what you´re saying makes sense".Have a look at this passage:

(Word Up" is a saying that was popular in New York and other urban areas in the US that acted as an affirmation of what was said, kind of a hipper "You Bet.")

http://www.songfacts.com/detail.php?id=6777

2)"Wanged and chunged" are most probably words created by the speaker(he is a neologist as you said).It might be "ficaram inquietos,se manifestaram."

Bons estudos!
Thanks for concerning "for" my question, Donay!!!

I don't know if the preposition is OK, that's why I put it in quotation marks!!!

Have a nice weekend!!
Hello Ricardo,

That´s what teachers are for!We´re always concerned about students.

;)
Ainda precisa de ajuda? Confira algumas opções:
  1. Clique no botão "Responder" (abaixo) e faça sua pergunta sobre este assunto;
  2. Faça uma nova pergunta;
  3. Converse grátis com um professor nativo por 15 minutos: Saiba como!