Uso de duas preposições juntas

Recentemente me deparei com algumas frases na qual "for" e "by" estavam juntas e gostaria de saber o porque elas podem vir juntas, se é devido a palavra que precede elas e como eu poderia traduzir:

- he gives him a return ticket to San Francisco that is paid for by Hitachi Data Systems and says he can stay at her apartment for free.
- certificate shall give rise to the right of priority provided for by this Article, under the same conditions and with the same.
- financial instruments and similar assets owned or contracted FOR BY the Company.
- The UK presidency will see the launch of a period of reflection called for by the European Council

Desde já agradeço,
Lucas.

INGLÊS PARA VIAGENS
A professora Marcela Miranda, mais conhecida como a Tia do Inglês, ensina nesta aula introdutória o vocabulário básico de inglês para viagens. Está se preparando para sua próxima viagem? A sua jornada começa aqui! ACESSAR AULA
5 respostas
Ordenar por: Data
PPAULO 6 49 1.3k
I will deal with the "pay" VS "pay for":

I paid the fee for my friend.
I plan to go on holiday, so I will pay for the rented car in advance.
He had paid for the car and told her it was hers.

Some time ago it was usual when giving a bone to a dog (or any other treat, for that matter) to say "Eat, it's paid-for". It meant it was a given, a friendly gift of sorts. So, someone would be stating to the dog "tá pago, pode comer".

Though, don't mistake it for the past form of pay as in: It is the price that must be paid for social discreteness and incoherency.

Hence:
He gives him a return ticket to San Francisco that is paid for by Hitachi Data Systems and says he can stay at her apartment for free.

Means that "he gives him a "courtesy" return ticket (to San Francisco) that had been bought/given by Hitachi Data Systems and says he can stay at her apartment for free.

It seems like there are 2 guys and one girl in the story, the one handing the ticket and the information that was 'paid for' by the firm and the girl, owner of the apartment.
But, it could be that somehow 'by accident' the first word had an "s" striked out, then it would be "she" the one delivering the return ticket, and again "she" the apartment owner as well. Just wondering...

Back to the crux:
Paid for - refers to the ticket (meaning it's already paid "by somebody else")
By Hitachi Data Systems - refers to the actual purchaser.
Helloo... Aproveitando o assunto, gostaria de saber se é possível usarmos duas preposições juntas?
Exemplo: My mother reads to me around at eleven o'clock.
Na minha mente ou usamos o AT ou usamos o AROUND... Certo?

Thanks
Leila
PPAULO 6 49 1.3k
Not natural there, if she read exactly AT eleven o'clock then we say that (using AT, that usually means precise time).

To imprecise time we use "around" or "by":
He said that he had to finish that report by five o'clock.

Around ten o ́clock in the evening there was a knock on the door and she came in.
Ok...thanks a lot.
PPAULO 6 49 1.3k
You're welcome. We are glad that we could help.