Uso do ''Tough'' e do ''Strong'' na música Wish You Were Here (Música de Avril Lavigne)

155 2
Ela começa a música assim:
"I can be tough, I can be Strong"
Qual seria diferença entre Strong e Tough no contexto da música?
Até onde eu sei Tough e Strong significam "forte".
Mas não faz sentido ela ter falado: "Eu posso ser forte, eu posso ser forte"
Não faz sentido a tradução, pois repete a mesma palavra duas vezes.
Então qual a diferença?
TIA
Cambly Brasil - Mensagem Patrocinada Faça uma Aula GRÁTIS de inglês com um professor de nativo e avalie se você é capaz de se comunicar com um estrangeiro. Consulte condições.

Começar agora!
3 respostas
Ordenar por: Data

Resposta aceita Resposta aceita
5960 11 134
I do not mean to come off too strong here but you're basing your English learning on Portuguese way too much. They are two different languages with their own structures and words. This is a mistake English learners often make, they fail to realize English was never based on Portuguese or the other way around, you need to get used to how things are in English without thinking it doesn't make sense because it differs from Portuguese. In this particular case you think that sentence is weird because if you translate it to Portuguese you have the same words being repeated which to you sounds weird and you're right to think so, but it's another language. What happens is that in English you simply have two different words to express the idea of being strong, it can be both physically or mentally. More often than not strong will be used to refer to physical strength and tough as mental strength. If you say someone is tough, it usually means they have the mental strength and capability to get through difficult times. Strong can also be used in such contexts, however. But you can't say "tough" to refer to someone who is physically strong. There you have it as far as the main difference between both of those words, but please, try to stop basing your learning on Portuguese and understand that English is a language of its own. In fact I'd highly recommend to any language learners that they stop using translation altogether and just try to take the language in by figuring things out through context. You can definitely look up specific words, but don't try to make sense of sentences basing it on your native language, it just doesn't work and will leave you confused.

630 13
Hi Umapessoanormal!

You're right, "tough" and "strong" may be both translated as "forte"; however, "tough" is related to a characteristic of "internal" character. It means that the best translation for "tough" would be "durão/durona/valente"; then, "I can be tough, I can be strong" poderia ser traduzido como "Eu posso ser durão/durona/valente, eu posso ser forte". In this case, "strong" means "to have physical strength".

That's it!

5960 11 134
Also, some more advice, there's more to learning a language than just learning the difference between synonym words or just any words. Try to prioritize learning sentence structures and the way the words are put together in natural native-like sentences. It will get you to fluency quite a bit faster.