Valley girl accent: Como é?

Estou interessado em reconhecer melhor os sotaques do inglês, e vi que há um, específico de regiões ricas da Califórnia e da Austrália, que se chama "Valley girl accent".
Sei que tem a ver com garotas "mimadas", mas como se caracteriza essa fala?

Thx for the help.

AMPLIANDO O VOCABULÁRIO
Isa Mara Lando é uma referência entre os profissionais de tradução. Ela já traduziu mais de 100 livros, entre eles estão obras de autores aclamados, como: George Orwell, Salman Rushdie e Walter Isaacson (a biografia de Einstein). Nesta aula gratuita, Isa dá várias dicas de vocabulário. ACESSAR AULA
5 respostas
Ordenar por: Data
  Resposta mais votada
6 26 454
Good morning, Gabriel.

Valleyspeak or Valspeak is an American sociolect and also a virtual language, which came from the San Fernando Valley in Southern California, Valley girls. A sociolect (social dialect) is a type of lect, a register associated with socieconomic classes, an ethnic group (ethnolect), an age group and so on.

The term valley girl represents a socio-economic stereotype depicting a class of women characterized by the colloquial California English dialect Valleyspeak and materialism. It used to describe upper-middle class girls from Los Angeles to San Francisco in the 1980s and it was broadly applied later - primarily in the USA and Canada - to any English-speaking women, specially the silly ones, who were more worried about high social status than intellectual or personal accomplishment.

The term is often associated to the preppies.

Although the stereotype originated in 1970s, its peak happened in the 1980s. Between 1990s and 2000s, there was a lost in its popularity, anyway, the Valspeak elements and phrases, along with surfer and skateboarding slang, suffered some changes related to the stable elements of the American English, specially the California English dialect.

Nowadays, Valspeak elements can be found virtually everywhere, particularly among young native English speakers. A rising intonation was also common - statements were pronounced as if they were questions.

You should read this article:

como-dizer-playboys-e-patricinhas-em-ingles-t2777.html

Some examples of Valley girl accents in use:

(1) Moon Zappa - Valley girl
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-LArv-sEQU

(2) Cassandra Peterson - Elvira, Mistress of the Dark
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-PhlAwFvqJE

(3) Alicia Silverstone - "Cher" Horowitz
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gd53NipjneE

Take a look on these slang:

As if – lit. "as if" except it does not use a subject; expresses disbelief;
Whatever! - short for "whatever you say"; sarcastic comeback;
Barf me out! - "So disgusting it makes me want to vomit";
Fer shur – lit. "For sure";

Totally – "I agree" or "completely";
Grody to the max! – "As gross as he/she/it can be";

Oh my God – can be used many ways; (usually shrieked); expresses shock (OMG for short);
I’m suuure! / I'm so sure – "I'm absolutely positive," but usually used sarcastically;
Liiiike(?) (when someone deserves an explanation or as a discourse maker).

Betty - An attractive woman;
So - Very; used too often and said with too much emphasis. "He's so not cute!";
Baldwin - An attractive man (bold and winner);

Seriously - Frequent interjection of approval;
Gag me with a spoon! - expression of disgust.

REFERENCES:
(1) LOTOZO, Eils. The way teens talk, like, serves a purpose. In: Milwaukee Jornal Sentinel.. 2002.
(2) SIEGEL, Muffy E. A. Like: The Discourse Particles and Semantics. 2002.
COMO COMBINAR PALAVRAS EM INGLÊS
Nesta aula, o professor Denilso de Lima, autor do livro "Combinando Palavras em Inglês", ensina como as collocations (combinações de palavras) podem ajudar você a falar inglês com mais naturalidade. ACESSAR AULA
6 26 454
Now, regarding about Valspeak in Australia, I believe the following articles will help you:

(1) australian-accent-sotaque-australiano-c ... 16863.html

(1) http://dialectblog.com/2011/07/10/types ... n-accents/

(2) http://chronicfatigue.typepad.com/mj/20 ... rully.html

I hope you enjoyed them.

So long,

Ricardo.
6 26 454
I've just found more information related to Valspeak vocabulary.
I hope you find them interesting:

Definitions:
Valley girl; Valspeak:

1. A valley girl is an affluent girl living in the San Fernando Valley;

2. The Valspeak is also describe the way the valley girls is used to speak with more intonation and strong accent;

3. Valspeak is a sociolect, different from the sexy-baby voice, first described by U.S. Media in 2013, in which young women use the pre-pubescent girls' hight-pitched voice.

4. The term Valspeak was used to describe a way of talking that combined 1960s surfer slang, hippie lingo and black street jargon. It originated in southern California's San Fernando Valley, and gained national attention in 1982 when Frank Zappa and his daughter Moon Unit came out with the song "Valley Girl," lampooning the fad.

5. There is no agreement between the Linguistics experts, but perhaps the most lasting effect of Valspeak is the proliferation of the word "like" in everyday speech, specially among high school students.

6. Valspeak is an anachronistic dialect of slang from the late 70s.
_

Explanation about some Valspeak terms:

Most of them are related to the audience of the TV media entertainment from 1970s to 1980s. Some are just abbreviations. Other terms such as Baldwin, Loadie, Monet and Postal were not usage in that period due to the fact they were only created for 1995 movie, Clueless and so they became popular.

- Awesome = very good; unbelievable.
The stressing of the first syllabe is by association with trip, referring to the experience felt while traveling abroad or when someone is under the effects of illicit drugs. This way of speaking is known as tripendicular / perpendicular "awesome".
e.g. "That movie was totally awesome!"

- Baldwin = handsome; a really hot guy.
There are three associated facts:
(1) the most acceptable is related to the Baldwin brothers' success in the late 1980s.
(2) from the combination of the words "bold" and "winner", which is not so acceptable by American Academy of Arts and Letters, whose members are still discussing about;
(3) from the Baldwin apples, a type of bright red winter apple, whose name were already associated to the Baldwins since 1740s. It was a high-quality apple who were very appreciated in New England, New York in the early 1770s. After the great winter of 1934, these apples become pratically extincted. Nowadays, they are very difficult to find in commercial stores and markets todays, but in abandoned orchards in New England, notably in Vermont.

- Barf bag jerk / Barney = An unattractive boy or man.
The first term is an extremely offensive way of speaking. Barney derives from Barney Fife and it is used to refer to police officers in other contexts.
Barney Fife was a fictional character in the American television program, The Andy Griffith. The actor Don Knotts portrayed the role of the deputy sherrif. However, despite of Barney Fife's apperance, the term Barney is more related to the Flinstones character, Barney Rubble.

- Betty = beautiful girl or woman
Although the term is often associated to the Flinstones character, Betty Rubble, some authors explains that the term was already in use by the US soldiers, specially during the Korean War. It was common to find them flipping through some of The Betty Pages, an erotic magazine collection. Bettie Page was the model who posed for those magazines.

- Bum = to borrow
e.g., "Can I bum a cigarette?"

- Hella = lots (of), many, excessive, very
e.g., "That was hella cool. I haven't done that in hella days."

- Later! = Good bye!

- Monet = someone / something that looks good from afar, but up close it's a total mess; deceit; drible.
e.g., "That hag is a full-onMonet!"

- Postal / Bitch fit = to go insane/ to freak out/ to bug (as in "going postal").
An American English slang, means becoming extremely and uncontrollably angry, often to the point of violence, and usually in a workplace environment. The expression derives from a series of incidents from 1986 onwards in which United States Postal Service (USPS) workers shot and killed managers, job colleagues and othr members of the police or general public in acts of mass murder. Between 1986 and 1997, more than 40 people were killed by current or former employees in at least 20 incidents of workplace rage. However, the term was adapted into Valspeak to demonstrate a moment when women will have a DTR (assessment) in a pejorative way or even when they get upset about something and start to yell and cry, specially when things don't go their way. The expression bitch fit became famous thanks to Wayans Brothers' comedy movie, White Chicks.
e.g., "I am SO FREAK-IN' PISSED! I think I'm gonna have a bitch fit!"

- Rad = Very cool; excellent (from "radical").
e.g., "Like I could not live without Juicy Couture and Prada and all of the other rad designers."

- Rays / UVs = sunlight / ultraviolet radiation
e.g., "I'm going to the beach to catch some rays / UVs."

- Right?/Right on = I know!
Used as bland filler when there is lack of interest or content for a response or to express agreement with indifference or cockiness.
e.g., "That bikini looks so hot on you Heather!" "Right!"
"Hey bro I found 20 bucks under the seat of my car!" "Right on!"

- Scarf = To eat, usually very quickly.
e.g., "I totally scarfed that burger!"

- Skanky = gross.

- Sketchy = weird; suspicious.
e.g., "that guy looks sketchy".

- Spaz = A hyperactive nerd; geek; klutz.
Although klutz is more used to describe the confused ones.
e.g., "That guy is a total spaz!"

- Sweet! = used to express excitement, satisfaction, camaraderie, happiness for another person/thing/event. There is a strong emphasis and elongation of the "Es" /Sweeeet!/.
e.g., "Dude I like totally dicked a Betty today! Sweet!

- To the max = An expression to further define something done with great vigor. Max is the short for maximum
e.g. "That guy in the car is picking his nose! Grody to the max!"

- Geek = weird.

- Rolf = vomit.

- To veg (out) = to rest (from vegetate)

- Turkinerd = Valspeak for a cross between a turkey and a nerd.
e.g., "Watch out, turkinerds! Your goose is cooked!"

- Way = used as an adverb for emphasis. It also means yes in response to the exlamation of disbelief.
e.g., "That was way cool"; "No way!", the response "Way!")

REFERENCES
(1) THEAKSTON, Greg. The Betty Pages Annual. Pure Imagination Publisher. 1991.
(2) WOMACK, Morris M.; BERNSTEIN, Elinor. Speech for foreign students.. C.C. Thomas. 1990.
(3) BUCHANAN, Daisy. Women, how often do you put on a sexy voice to get what you want?. In: The Telegraph. 2014. Link: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/women/sex/10 ... -want.html
(4) KOPP, Rochelle. GANZ, Steven. Valley Speak: Deciphering the Jargon of Silicon Valley. 2016.
(5) SURHONE, Lambert M; TENNOE, Mariam T; Henssonow, Susan F. Valspeak - Social Studies. VDM Publishing. 2010.
(6) BAILEY, Richard W. Speaking American: A Hystory of English in the United States. Oxford University Press. 2012.
Talvez não seja específico para garotas... Quem sabe exista Valley boy ?
6 26 454