What does to slope away mean?

Hello there!
Could someone help me? What does the phrasal verb slope away mean?
The context is that I am reading the book Anne of Green Gables and on page 15 we see the following sentence: "The air was sweet with the breath of many apple orchards and the meadows sloped away in the distance to horizon mists of pearl and purple..."

COMO COMBINAR PALAVRAS EM INGLÊS
Nesta aula, o professor Denilso de Lima, autor do livro "Combinando Palavras em Inglês", ensina como as collocations (combinações de palavras) podem ajudar você a falar inglês com mais naturalidade. ACESSAR AULA
3 respostas
Ordenar por: Data
Redseahorse 4 36 579
It's an idiom, actually!

"desapareciam" ou "faziam desaparecer" (em declive e em nível mais rasteiro)
Leonardo96 19 293
Eh, I wouldn't say it's an idiom though. An idiom most of the time is an expression made up of words that are not supposed to be taken literally and has another meaning behind it, "to slope away" is just what it sounds like and refers to the action of receding from something in a downward fashion, really. Just saying that it shouldn't be classified as an idiom in case this serves any purpose to the person asking the question, it's a normal phrasal verb.
PPAULO 6 49 1.3k
...and the meadows sloped away in the distance to horizon mists of pearl and purple...

...e os prados (os campos) inclinavam-se/"faziam um declive" à distância em direção ao horizonte (havia) névoa nas cores pérola e púrpura.

A cor de pérola aqui mencionada é um "off-white", um branco mais amarelado, como que encardido.
In slope away - fica meio que sugerido uma inclinação "para além (do lugar onde se está)" (away), que no caso é suprido pela informação de que vai até o horizonte, ou na direção deste.

Curiously, the wordhippo doesn't have a synonym for "slope away" but then it has for "slant down": incline downwards/plunge/slant downwards/slope down :-)

And some more...
Ref. wordhippo