Big fan of you x Big fan of yours: Qual utilizar

É correto dizer "I am a great/big fan of you" instead of saying "fan of yours"?

INGLÊS PARA VIAGENS
A professora Marcela Miranda, mais conhecida como a Tia do Inglês, ensina nesta aula introdutória o vocabulário básico de inglês para viagens. Está se preparando para sua próxima viagem? A sua jornada começa aqui! ACESSAR AULA
6 respostas
Ordenar por: Data
Swarmfire 2 19
Do primeiro modo é considerado incomum. O certo, quase sempre usado, é I am a great fan of yours.

Fonte : https://english.stackexchange.com/quest ... n-of-yours
PPAULO 6 49 1.3k
"Big fan of yours" is correct form, "of you" is not natural English.

To say that there´s only one fan one could say "I am your big fan", if the person is supposed to have more than one fan than "I am a big fan of yours".

I met that friend of yours, Harry.
Eu conheci aquele amigo seu, o Harry.
(I assume that you have several friends, Harry being one of them).

That is not to say that you will ban the form "I met your Friend Fred".
Now I am not with my head around the fact that you have or are supposed to have several friends. I just singled out Harry.

I like that sister of yours.
(it assumes that you have more than one sister)

I like your sister.
You may or may not have more than one sister, but if you have only one then I can´t use "of yours".

I hope it helps and you have got the idea.
Grammar points aside, it´s obvious that someone using the language "daz streets" could use the way they choose, be prepared to listen pretty much everything with music, some movies depicting some ´hoods, etc.
Swarmfire 2 19
Revivendo o tópico, acabei de ver um post no Instagram dizendo "Which month is yours?", no sentido de qual é o seu mês (de nascimento) e explicando o que cada pessoa de cada mês é ou seria. Acredito que vocês entenderam a ideia ;) Sendo assim eu acredito que o certo seria your devido ao que já falamos acima sobre.
Em suma a dúvida é está: essa regra é universal, ou possui, ao menos, grande participação nas situações, ou ela é específica para esse caso (e se tiver algum outro caso em mente para que também seja, ajudará muito o exemplo!)
PPAULO 6 49 1.3k
I would rather use "your" in this case (one´s birthday is unique, and the birthday of each people is unique.)

Someone can have more than a teacher/fan/follower, etc. In that case we can rewords of "a teacher of yours" as "one of your teachers", for instance.

Of course, if somebody had an accident, a near-death experience, on that day one could refer as having a second birtday. If one celebrates or remembers that day in a special way, then we could say that at that date "is a birthday of yours". Could be "today is a birthday of yours!", for instance.

Other than that, we usually would use "your birthday", even asking individually the birthday of each member of a group.
Swarmfire 2 19
Thanks again @PPaulo!
I thought about it too, but a near-death experience is something that I really hadn't think about.

"It's deep man!"
MELHORE SUA PRONÚNCIA EM INGLÊS
Nesta aula, o professor Adir Ferreira, autor do livro "A Chave do Aprendizado da Língua Inglesa", nos conta como se tornou um Expert em pronúncia e dá várias dicas para você se comunicar melhor em inglês. ACESSAR AULA
PPAULO 6 49 1.3k
You´re welcome. Glad that it helped.