Pontuação: I don't believe in many things but in you I do

Qual é a pontuação correta para a frase "I don't believe in many things but in you I do"?
(Música "For Your Babies", do "Simply Red")

ENTENDENDO AS HORAS EM INGLÊS
Nesta aula, a professora Camila Oliveira ensina vários macetes para você nunca mais se confundir na hora de dizer as horas em inglês. ACESSAR AULA
3 respostas
Ordenar por: Data
PPAULO 6 49 1.3k
I don't believe in many things but in you I do.

It's worth noticing that not always the word "but" will have a comma before it.
We don't use a comma when it is connecting two independent clauses.
That is, if the two sentences (clauses - before and after 'but') make sense, then we should not use a comma. See the following examples:

Grammar is boring, but necessary. (incorrect)
Grammar is boring but necessary. (correct)

The second sentence act as a whole, "necessary" wouldn't make sense.

I want to go to the party, but I am so tired.
I want to go to the party (makes sense)
I am so tired (makes sense)
So, the comma is mandatory here.

In the sentence at hand, the original one, "in you I do" wouldn't make sense, so I wouldn't use a comma there.
If you have found the sentence without a period in the end, then punctuation would be there. If not, the sentence is correct as it is.
This doesn't mean you can't make a pause at the word 'but', when reading a long sentence. The word would work as an 'invisible' comma.
EugenioTM 7 48
Hello Paulo,

Your examples are to the point, but you mixed up your initial explanation:
We don't use a comma when it is connecting two independent clauses.
Actually, we do use a comma in this case, as you pointed out in your examples. I researched an article from grammarly just to make sure I am right.

Great contribution though!
PPAULO 6 49 1.3k
Ha ha ha. Omg! It should be the opposite statement.
We use a comma when it is connecting two independent clauses
Thanks Eugenio for pointing that out, I don't know how the "don't" particle took on a life of its own and got there! :-) Thanks for your perceptive commentary.